Heisenberg
April 25, 2024, 8:05pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.80
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +5,099
Gold Stars: 95
Quoted from Poojah

Danny Amos is of course famously the son of Professional Widow signer Tori Amos. Had a pint of mild with her in the Rutland before the Accrington game back in October. Nice girl. Big hands though.

Maybe that’s why it’s gotta be big? It wouldn’t look much in one of those shovels of hers.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 67
toontown
April 26, 2024, 6:46am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +6,274
Gold Stars: 70
Quoted from Poojah
I think Lainton was generally highly rated by Wrexham fans; he was just crippled by injury. Alas, they ended up with Christian (son of Andy) Dibble in his place toward the end of the 21/22 season, who was never good enough to have found himself playing in a National League play-off semi-final, as we exposed to great effect.

Actually you're right - I was getting them mixed up! However I still wouldn't want him as he was injury prone over a sustained period, again no thanks.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 67
GollyGTFC
April 26, 2024, 8:24am

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.69
Rep Score: +19 / -11
Approval: +6,038
Gold Stars: 358
I would imagine the 2nd goalkeeper for next season will be a loan.
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 42 - 67
Poojah
April 26, 2024, 9:21am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,676
Gold Stars: 1,508
Quoted from GollyGTFC
I would imagine the 2nd goalkeeper for next season will be a loan.

It will be (mildly) interesting to see what happens with Eastwood. I think he’s shown since coming back into the side that he’s more than capable as a backup, but his history suggests he lacks the psychological attributes to serve you consistently as a #1 over a long season.

One way or another I’d imagine it’s likely he stays in some capacity. Either he’s on good, first choice money and he’s difficult to shift, or he’s not and it makes sense to keep him as backup. I imagine the only scenario that might change that is if he’s adamant he wants to be first choice somewhere and pushes for a move, but realistically he’ll know that will mean dropping out of the league.

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 67
diehardmariner
April 26, 2024, 9:36am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,654
Gold Stars: 539
Quoted from Mappers
Max Crocombe if Burton go down

Won their Player of the Season.  I know they've not had a great season but that's some transformation for Max, considering 3 years ago he was getting ready to sign a contract with Conference North Boston United.
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 67
Poojah
April 26, 2024, 10:41am
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from diehardmariner

Won their Player of the Season.  I know they've not had a great season but that's some transformation for Max, considering 3 years ago he was getting ready to sign a contract with Conference North Boston United.

There’s a good number of players from that 21/22 season, signed either on the way down or from obscurity, that have really kicked on since then. Crocombe, Towler, Smith, Revan, Fox, Bell, and of course McAtee. Alright, some of those were perhaps youngsters who might have been expected to crack on, and I’m sure we all have limited memories of Seb Revan, but 7 players there who just two seasons on have been playing regularly at League One level or above. You could arguably add Efete, who has recently beaten Rangers in the SPL with Ross County.

Hurst has been taking a quiet panning of late for his recruitment in the summer, but he really did some stellar business that season - including several names not included there.

Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 67
mariner91
April 26, 2024, 11:44am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,742
Gold Stars: 262
Quoted from Poojah

There’s a good number of players from that 21/22 season, signed either on the way down or from obscurity, that have really kicked on since then. Crocombe, Towler, Smith, Revan, Fox, Bell, and of course McAtee. Alright, some of those were perhaps youngsters who might have been expected to crack on, and I’m sure we all have limited memories of Seb Revan, but 7 players there who just two seasons on have been playing regularly at League One level or above. You could arguably add Efete, who has recently beaten Rangers in the SPL with Ross County.

Hurst has been taking a quiet panning of late for his recruitment in the summer, but he really did some stellar business that season - including several names not included there.

Hurst's recruitment in the NL was generally very good and had an extremely high success rate. He never once had a good transfer window in the FL with Town.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 67
Poojah
April 26, 2024, 12:40pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from mariner91

Hurst's recruitment in the NL was generally very good and had an extremely high success rate. He never once had a good transfer window in the FL with Town.

I just don't know who that says more about; Hurst or Town.

I suppose if we're giving credit where it's due, this January window was probably our best pound-for-pound window in the league for some time, at a particularly challenging time, even if it was a small sample size.

Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 67
mariner91
April 26, 2024, 12:42pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,742
Gold Stars: 262
Quoted from Poojah

I just don't know who that says more about; Hurst or Town.

I suppose if we're giving credit where it's due, this January window was probably our best pound-for-pound window in the league for some time, at a particularly challenging time, even if it was a small sample size.

It would be interesting to see what his recruitment at Shrewsbury, Ipswich and the Scunts was like but as I'm exceptionally lazy I can't be bothered to look.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 48 - 67
Poojah
April 26, 2024, 12:47pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from mariner91

It would be interesting to see what his recruitment at Shrewsbury, Ipswich and the Scunts was like but as I'm exceptionally lazy I can't be bothered to look.

His recruitment at Shrewsbury worked wonders first time around, though a good chunk of his signings were players he'd signed here. Henderson, Toto, Nolan, Rodman, LJL, so perhaps not hugely original. He tried something similar at Ipswich, mind, where he was an absolute disaster.

I think he was just about turning things around at Scunny when he was effectively sacked for insubordination (refusing to sell players at Swann's behest), but they were in they early stages of becoming the basket case they are today, so I'm not sure you can read much more into that.

I think you'll learn a lot more about Hurst's ability to manage in the EFL long-term by this Autumn.

Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 49 - 67
7 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Goalkeepers - suggestions please

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.