8 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next All Recommend Thread
Marinerdeano
March 30, 2024, 10:52pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.06
Rep Score: +4 / 0
Approval: +467
Gold Stars: 27
Hate going round all the possible permutations in my head. We need this settled prior to the last game of the season. As frustrated as some are getting, we are going to have to continue to play our part and give it our all as fans. It is all we have, the ability to support and help player confidence. It's the only input we can have at this stage that might make a difference.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 70
RonMariner
March 30, 2024, 10:57pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.42
Rep Score: +42 / -7
Approval: +13,814
Gold Stars: 226
Quoted from Marinerdeano
Hate going round all the possible permutations in my head. We need this settled prior to the last game of the season. As frustrated as some are getting, we are going to have to continue to play our part and give it our all as fans. It is all we have, the ability to support and help player confidence. It's the only input we can have at this stage that might make a difference.

It seems like  almost every season we have to endure this either aiming for the playoffs in the NL or fighting relegation from L2. Last season was a bit of an exception. It drives me nuts.

But I have decided to stop obsessing over it. We might go down. I hope not. But the NL is not the end of the world. We have been there before and got out of it and I have no doubt we would again, I just hope it doesn't come to that.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 70
horsforthmariner
March 31, 2024, 10:49am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.29
Rep Score: +7 / -2
Approval: +2,634
Gold Stars: 9
I reckon we'll be fine. I think we'll end up on 46 points which will fortunately be enough.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 70
mariner91
March 31, 2024, 11:04am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,742
Gold Stars: 262
Quoted from GrimPol

I'm afraid Sutton has found form, and won 10 points from 15 (we have 5 from 15) and won 3 games with teams all above them, on the trot.

Your games tend to be against teams that are above you in the table when you’re literally bottom.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 70
RonMariner
March 31, 2024, 12:00pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.42
Rep Score: +42 / -7
Approval: +13,814
Gold Stars: 226
Quoted from mariner91

Your games tend to be against teams that are above you in the table when you’re literally bottom.

And we are going to have to beat teams above us to stay up. Starting tomorrow.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 70
devs
March 31, 2024, 12:12pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.17
Rep Score: +6 / -2
Approval: +1,984
Gold Stars: 30
Quoted from Perkins
Never ever thought we'd see the day when we're all hoping for a third from bottom finish to the season.

Quite honestly I am not shocked and I think it is where we are at as a club unless and until...
a) We get significant Lincoln-type investment - new money from somewhere
b) We get very lucky with a manager - hopefully Artell - like Lincoln had with Cowleys and suddenly things take off
c) We produce 4/5 home-grown stars such as Drinkell, Moore, Ford etc

There are several yo-yo clubs in England - those who hover between bottom end of one league and top end of another - think of Norwich, Fulham, Rotherham, Peterborough, Port Vale, Leeds and several more

Despite what DA says (DN35 podcast) I do believe location is a huge issue and that is further hampered by the fact we can't pay top dollar for some real quality

Never mind passion, pride, work rate etc - the reason we are bottom four is a woeful lack of consistent quality in the the final third

I wish I could be full of beans and optimism but honestly feel bottom 4/6 of L2 is about where we in terms of our standing in the game
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 70
GrimRob
March 31, 2024, 12:22pm

Posts Per Day: 2.12
Rep Score: +76 / -34
Approval: +13,443
Gold Stars: 114
Quoted from horsforthmariner
I reckon we'll be fine. I think we'll end up on 46 points which will fortunately be enough.

It's out of our hands if we get 45 or more and do down. Strong finishes from 2 of the 3 below us will relegate us. Most of our games are winnable but winning them is another matter.

'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.  
~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Offline
Site Private Message Skype
Reply: 16 - 70
March 31, 2024, 12:27pm
Guest User
I think the era of producing home grown players of that calibre was over some years ago. The Premier League sign up and spit out any kid who shows talent. I wonder how many players have ended up on the scrap heap at an early age, who would have done so much better at their home club, progressing at a much steadier and sustainable rate.
Reply: 17 - 70
IlkleyMariner
March 31, 2024, 12:32pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +12 / -1
Approval: +3,038
Gold Stars: 69
Football has a funny way of producing unexpected results.
All we need is two, or maybe just one win to stay up.
Could come at any of the next seven games, but the sooner the better.

Let’s hope tomorrow is the first of our points needed to survive.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 70
arryarryarry
March 31, 2024, 4:59pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,040
Gold Stars: 117
Quoted from GrimPol

I'm afraid Sutton has found form, and won 10 points from 15 (we have 5 from 15) and won 3 games with teams all above them, on the trot. When we played them on their "beach pitch" they just looked better than us and they were miles away in points below us then, so I had assumed they were down, and just going through the motions. Now look at them.
DA has brought on board some better players, but they are not enough. As a team, we still play like strangers, cannot pass, cannot trap, cannot throw in, cannot kick corners and in our final third we just stand back and watch whilst the opposition have all the time in the world to do something.. Barrow had our players bunched together in a corner whilst they passed the ball into the net with nobody near them. It was school boys v men sometimes. No matter how you look at it, its bad.

Can anyone remember, without looking it up, when we last won three EFL games on the trot.
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 70
8 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Staying UP

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.