Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Just Back  (merged)
Moderators: Moderator
Users Browsing Forum

Just Back  (merged)

This thread currently has 10,777 views. Print
10 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next All Recommend Thread
Mappers
March 17, 2024, 10:22am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 5.43
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +4,318
Gold Stars: 117
Quoted from GrimPol

Same here. But I must add that we can't head, or pass, i.e. the basics.
But when we get it right it works, pity we just gave away our lead so meekly and cheaply.  But we got a point, 6 games without defeat, onto Wrexham who are misfiring of late. UTM.

I will say with Holahan his delivery from the right channel is very good , there were 3 or 4 times when he could have delivered but favoured to give the simple pass - I would be telling him to cross it everytime he gets in that area of the pitch if I was Big D .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 90
GrimPol
March 17, 2024, 12:00pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.60
Rep Score: +3 / -7
Approval: -669
Gold Stars: 69
Quoted from Mappers

I will say with Holahan his delivery from the right channel is very good , there were 3 or 4 times when he could have delivered but favoured to give the simple pass - I would be telling him to cross it everytime he gets in that area of the pitch if I was Big D .

The assumption is that there have to be targets in the penno area, and if there are none?
Our team isn't a team. There is a goalkeeper, backs, midfield and forwards, but a well-oiled synchromesh gearbox its is not. There are patches, like the goal, which is great, then its errrrrrr?
There are hotspots of good football, Cartwright is killing the corners by plucking balls out of the air, and the backs are, mostly, keeping the opposition quiet, but it is patchy, and non-consistent everywhere else.
Tharme, Hume, and Thompson are making a difference, but Clifton Mullarkey and even Holohan, have off days i.e. we never peak as a team altogether. When we celebrate draws as we used to do wins, you just know the next 9 games are going to be a collective purgatory for the fans.   UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 90
The Yard Dog
March 17, 2024, 12:39pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.43
Rep Score: +14 / -2
Approval: +3,504
Gold Stars: 74
Could do with Morecambe beating Salford today.  

Looking at the table a win for Morecambe takes them just outside the play-off places, also noticed that out of the 12 teams above outside the play-off places, only 2 have lost less than us, its the amount of draws that put us in the position we are in. However it might draws that ulimately keeps us up, just shows its fine margins.

Gillingham are lowest scorers in the league 36 goals in total, but have 16 wins, 10 of them are 1-0 wins and only 1 point from a play-off spot.

All this talk about the Grimsby way, since I have been watching town, since the late seventies, what has been the Grimsby way?

Would I take 10 1-0 wins over an entertaining lost, Yes, because its points that count, I would go home happy because we have won.

We drew with Notts County 5-5 was I entertained yes, but it was a poor game of football, did we get 3 points NO.

Paul Hurst set us up to be difficult to beat first, then we move away from that this season to the "Grimsby way".

The last six games Artell has changed his tactics and we have 10 points to show for it.

I actually enjoyed the home game against MK Dons over the Notts County game.

UTM

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 90
BrickTop
March 17, 2024, 1:27pm

Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.07
Rep Score: +2 / -1
Approval: +231
Quoted from GrimPol

The assumption is that there have to be targets in the penno area, and if there are none?
Our team isn't a team. There is a goalkeeper, backs, midfield and forwards, but a well-oiled synchromesh gearbox its is not. There are patches, like the goal, which is great, then its errrrrrr?
There are hotspots of good football, Cartwright is killing the corners by plucking balls out of the air, and the backs are, mostly, keeping the opposition quiet, but it is patchy, and non-consistent everywhere else.
Tharme, Hume, and Thompson are making a difference, but Clifton Mullarkey and even Holohan, have off days i.e. we never peak as a team altogether. When we celebrate draws as we used to do wins, you just know the next 9 games are going to be a collective purgatory for the fans.   UTM

That's incredibly harsh on Mullarkey, who since moving to the RCB role has looked just as competent as the other 2 centre halves. We definitely need 2 more mobile central midfielders, similar to the 2 that ran the midfield for MK Dons last week, to compliment Thompson and so we retain possession for longer periods of the game.

"You take sugar?"
"No thank you turkish, I'm sweet enough"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 90
forza ivano
March 17, 2024, 1:55pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.46
Rep Score: +72 / -20
Approval: +15,179
Gold Stars: 265
I understand the kentish commentators were repeatedly praising mullarkey
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 90
headingly_mariner
March 17, 2024, 2:23pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +34 / -21
Approval: +10,342
Gold Stars: 113
I'd love to know how many ppg weve had from when Holohan starts to when he doesn't.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 90
Hagrid
March 17, 2024, 2:56pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.80
Rep Score: +49 / -21
Approval: +20,407
Gold Stars: 534
Quoted from headingly_mariner
I'd love to know how many ppg weve had from when Holohan starts to when he doesn't.

Of the 8 wins, Gavs started 7
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 90
Mappers
March 17, 2024, 3:03pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 5.43
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +4,318
Gold Stars: 117
Quoted from Hagrid

Of the 8 wins, Gavs started 7

Is he another one we should try and retain for character , continuity and  experience  as a squad player ?

More a question than opinion as I would not be sure myself either way
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 90
Yossarian
March 17, 2024, 3:59pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.20
Rep Score: +4 / 0
Approval: +1,073
Gold Stars: 18
Only seen 2 games this season (Sutton and Gillingham) but seeing the support and togetherness of the players, supporters and Artell and the end of the game was impressive - especially given the vibe on this forum 4 weeks ago (of which I was also part of).

Yesterday felt like a "sliding doors moment"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 90
HertsGTFC
March 17, 2024, 6:11pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,933
Gold Stars: 228
Quoted from Mappers

Is he another one we should try and retain for character , continuity and  experience  as a squad player ?

More a question than opinion as I would not be sure myself either way

I thought his time here was done but in the last few weeks personally he’s changed my mind and I’d be happy to see him here next season.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 90
10 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Just Back  (merged)

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.