Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Just Back  (merged)
Moderators: Moderator
Users Browsing Forum

Just Back  (merged)

This thread currently has 10,786 views. Print
10 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next All Recommend Thread
pontoonlew
March 16, 2024, 6:11pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.01
Rep Score: +37 / -15
Approval: +9,038
Gold Stars: 177
I’m probably being quite harsh but I found myself getting a bit frustrated at times watching that. It’s probably more of a sign of how much we’ve improved lately though.

Our goal was wonderfully worked and came from the much maligned tactic of playing out from the back, we cut straight through them and in Wilson you have somebody who you always back to finish a 1v1. Conceding so quickly was frustrating given we’ve fielded tonnes of those types of crosses in the past few weeks with no issues whatsoever. After that, Obikwu & Holohan miss excellent chances after both struggled to get a decent foothold in the game (Gav got an assist but was otherwise poor).

Second half we switched up and I actually thought it worked, just not in the way I expected. It seemed to reduce the number of crosses entering our box, but did restrict us going forward. That was more due to Eisa & Arthur taking 30 mins to get into the bloody game, neither of them could trap a bag of cement when the first came on and it set us back massively. They both grew into it at the end and you felt like we might score at the end.

Tharne, Rodgers, Thompson & Wilson were excellent. I love Wilson and think he can be a huge player for us next year, I still think it’s fair to say he’s underrated still. He’s incredibly strong and his finishing is excellent.

I think we’re almost there points wise, FGR & Colchester probably need 4 wins from their last 8 and 10 respectively to have a realistic chance of beating our points tally and that’d mean us only taking 5 points from our last 9 games. Credit to the players and Artell again, we’ve picked up just when we needed to and 6 unbeaten is no mean feat given the results we had in the 6 before that.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 90
TownSNAFU5
March 16, 2024, 6:11pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +30 / -21
Approval: +6,883
Gold Stars: 42
The Shop on a sub in the 89th min.  He scored the only goal - in the 89th minute!  A lifeline.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 90
Mappers
March 16, 2024, 7:34pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 5.43
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +4,324
Gold Stars: 118
A good point we should have lost second half probably .

We sort of looked to revert to a more passing /expansive idea at half time with Arthur /Eisa on the flanks it didn't work at all and showed why the first half standard 5-3-2 setup is a must until we are safe . I suppose if it had worked and we had won Artell would have been lauded . Lost and he would probably have taken some again.

Cartwright very good again as was the backline , Thompson is just a machine - even though small so so strong - it was funny to see once or twice their more lightweight players frustrations at how easily he shrugged them off the ball; very glad we have him for 2 years.

Wilson is one who needs retaining as is Obikwu(on another loan if possible )  ; we could be left with a less problematic position going into  next season .

I really fancy us next week , Wrexham are an ugly team who win but have stopped doing so lately ; we have become a more nasty team that don't lose lately - big big chance to almost secure our safety and move forward.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 90
Lincoln Mariner 56
March 16, 2024, 7:42pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +23 / -4
Approval: +7,697
Gold Stars: 79
Quoted from forza ivano
On the M25. That was the epitome of a hard won point

Eisa gave Hutton something to think about defensively n there were far less of his wicked deliveries.
The back 3 were again superb n solid. But the outstanding performers were the 2 battlers in central midfield. Thompson got thru another barnstorming 90 mins but motm was Green, who was like a different player  some great skill n passing, I'm struggling to remember if he made a bad pass.
Obikwe n holohan had v good 1st
A good result n performance, backed as usual by fervent away support

Funny how fans see games differently, I watched the game on tv and thought both Holohan and Green were really poor and neither of them has any pace when trying to run back into position. Oh well we got a much deserved point and two more wins should see us smiling instead of cringing.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 90
bradzmilne
March 16, 2024, 7:44pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.69
Rep Score: +40 / -7
Approval: +1,425
Gold Stars: 30
Any mention on Danny Rose today?

Sleep well Icey, Matty and Richard. Keep each other company up there xx

4 Relegations in 18 Years - John Fenty’s legacy.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 90
The Caterham Mariner
March 16, 2024, 7:53pm
Exile and Proud..
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.48
Rep Score: +1 / 0
Approval: +88
Gold Stars: 8
In essence  loved the game having been at the Wimbledon and Sutton games too.
Noticed  a more determined motivated team striving for a win.
Again for me Harvey Cartright coming on leaps and bounds, IMO Man of the Match again keeping out the Gillingham attempts.
Makes next week's  Wrexham  game looking interesting.
UTM

An Exile and Proud  !! UTM
Mariners Trust Life Member.
In the words of my Uncle Fred "You can take the man outta of Grimsby BUT  you can't take the Grimsby!  Out the man!"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 90
acko338
March 16, 2024, 8:21pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.83
Rep Score: +43 / -6
Approval: +3,223
Gold Stars: 33
Lapslie was really lucky to stay on the field today.

Nasty piece of work - fouling, pushing, ankle tapping, all missed by the ref until an obvious foul late on.

Again, we lacked quality in passing, giving several chances to them by misplacing a pass or players not looking where a potential pass was heading.

Luckily, they could pass and find each other well, always seemed to have space around themselves, but lacked any form of accurate target practice.

Cartwright saved what was aimed at him and was excellrnt at holding crosses.

Hard fought game - deserved the point !
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 90
HertsGTFC
March 16, 2024, 8:33pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.27
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,946
Gold Stars: 228
Quoted from Rodley Mariner
Thought Lapslie was an absolute sharp object but I bet their fans love him.

Yup, agree.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 90
louth_in_the_south
March 17, 2024, 8:15am

Exile
Posts Per Day: 0.69
Rep Score: +25 / -12
Approval: +5,688
Gold Stars: 96
Contrasting weeks against 2 very different teams. Last week against a limited Sutton we should’ve had the points and this weekend a decent gills teams gave us a much harder test and we came out with a point which was hard fought but maybe a bit fortunate. But our battling performance is good enough for me . Points like this away from home will keep us up . Difficult to chose a mom as there were a few contenders but I’d go for Thame as he had an awkward lump of a striker to look after . Big strong and mobile who also looked like he wanted DTs shirt for the 90 mins . A weaker player would’ve been bullied but DT kept him under control.
Well done Cartwright, a lot of crosses to deal with from Gills and he never looked like he would miss one. We need to be trying to get him back for another season as he’s only going to improve as he gains experience.
The difference in the team’s performance from a few weeks ago should be praised .

Final mention to the Gillingham pies ,, even if they were delivered late they were epic . Definitely worth the wait .

Lower F5
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 90
GrimPol
March 17, 2024, 10:11am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.60
Rep Score: +3 / -7
Approval: -672
Gold Stars: 69
Quoted from Lincoln Mariner 56

Funny how fans see games differently, I watched the game on tv and thought both Holohan and Green were really poor and neither of them has any pace when trying to run back into position. Oh well we got a much deserved point and two more wins should see us smiling instead of cringing.

Same here. But I must add that we can't head, or pass, i.e. the basics.
But when we get it right it works, pity we just gave away our lead so meekly and cheaply.  But we got a point, 6 games without defeat, onto Wrexham who are misfiring of late. UTM.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 90
10 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Just Back  (merged)

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.