Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Sickness in camp Gillingham.
Moderators: Moderator
Users Browsing Forum

Sickness in camp Gillingham.

This thread currently has 3,079 views. Print
2 Pages Prev 1 2 All Recommend Thread
RonMariner
March 15, 2024, 3:19pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.42
Rep Score: +42 / -7
Approval: +13,717
Gold Stars: 226
Didn't we have a few players out ill not so long ago?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 15
thornemariner
March 15, 2024, 3:31pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.12
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +655
Gold Stars: 22
Quoted from TownSNAFU5
Talking of keepers going off injured.  I watched a very good documentary on Aston Villa winning the league title in the early 1980s and then the European Cup.  They had not won the league since 1910.

In the last game of the season they took 15,000 plus fans to Highbury.  Arsenal were third. Ideally, they needed to win.They went 2-0 down, which was the final score.

Ipswich were their rivals to be champions.  They went 1-0 up at Middlesbrough.  Villa fans went very very quiet.  Then Middlesbrough scored twice eventually winning 2-1,  from despair to ecstasy.

Ron Saunders had worked miracles.  Beating Forest (European Cup holders) and Liverpool.  And after selling Andy Gray, their outstanding striker.  

The greatest achievement of all was winning the league with only 14 players!!  Today any match would probably use more than 14 players.  They had to be lucky with injuries etc.

In the European Cup they overcame unusual obstacles.  Ron Saunders resigned after 7 years on a point of principle.  Drawn in East Germany they were given a hotel at slum standards.  Hard to sleep on very uncomfortable beds and toilet seats unattached.

They got to the final, facing the very clear favourites Bayern Munich.  Their good luck continued.  Rimmer, their experienced keeper went off injured after 8 minutes.  This did not look lucky for them though.  

Nigel Spink came on.  He had 1 first team game.  He was magnificent.  Underpinning a 1-0 win for Villa with a miss-hit shot.  

A great 2 seasons.  I am old enough to remember all of this.

(Wiki says that Spink later played for FGR, and managed them).

I was at Essex Uni so watched Ipswich quite a bit when I couldn't fund trips up to GY. I wanted them to win the title but they did win the UEFA Cup. Great European nights at Portman Road.

I remember the Villa win in the European Cup as it was a day or so before starting my finals and around my birthday so I had to put any boozing thoughts on hold. A great result for Villa.  

I can remember the friends' house where I watched it. Just dragged the name of the road it was on from my memory. Those were the days. English clubs generally won the European Cup but I'd support any British team in Europe.
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 15
barralad
March 15, 2024, 6:19pm
Mariners Trust
Posts Per Day: 2.32
Rep Score: +85 / -22
Approval: +9,290
Gold Stars: 126
Quoted from TownSNAFU5
Talking of keepers going off injured.  I watched a very good documentary on Aston Villa winning the league title in the early 1980s and then the European Cup.  They had not won the league since 1910.

In the last game of the season they took 15,000 plus fans to Highbury.  Arsenal were third. Ideally, they needed to win.They went 2-0 down, which was the final score.

Ipswich were their rivals to be champions.  They went 1-0 up at Middlesbrough.  Villa fans went very very quiet.  Then Middlesbrough scored twice eventually winning 2-1,  from despair to ecstasy.

Ron Saunders had worked miracles.  Beating Forest (European Cup holders) and Liverpool.  And after selling Andy Gray, their outstanding striker.  

The greatest achievement of all was winning the league with only 14 players!!  Today any match would probably use more than 14 players.  They had to be lucky with injuries etc.

In the European Cup they overcame unusual obstacles.  Ron Saunders resigned after 7 years on a point of principle.  Drawn in East Germany they were given a hotel at slum standards.  Hard to sleep on very uncomfortable beds and toilet seats unattached.

They got to the final, facing the very clear favourites Bayern Munich.  Their good luck continued.  Rimmer, their experienced keeper went off injured after 8 minutes.  This did not look lucky for them though.  

Nigel Spink came on.  He had 1 first team game.  He was magnificent.  Underpinning a 1-0 win for Villa with a miss-hit shot.  

A great 2 seasons.  I am old enough to remember all of this.

(Wiki says that Spink later played for FGR, and managed them).

Terry Donovan played for Villa in the early rounds of that European cup run as a replacement for the injured Gary Shaw who had a deadly front two partnership with Peter Withe in the 1st Dividion winnimg season.

The aim of argument or discussion should not be victory but progress.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 15
HertsGTFC
March 15, 2024, 7:37pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.27
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,948
Gold Stars: 228
Quoted from barralad

Terry Donovan played for Villa in the early rounds of that European cup run as a replacement for the injured Gary Shaw who had a deadly front two partnership with Peter Withe in the 1st Dividion winnimg season.

And a couple of years ago was finally awarded his European Cup winners medal.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 15
Heisenberg
March 15, 2024, 9:55pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.80
Rep Score: +9 / -1
Approval: +5,067
Gold Stars: 93
Quoted from HertsGTFC

And a couple of years ago was finally awarded his European Cup winners medal.

That’s incredible, I didn’t know that!!
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 15
WHYWONTYOULETMESIGNUP
March 16, 2024, 12:38am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.64
Rep Score: +16 / -2
Approval: +3,699
Gold Stars: 72
I seem to remember, I think it was doncaster, having pretty much their entire first team out ill, someone posted it on here I think and the bookies hadnt caught on yet so was still decent odds for betting on the other team, which i feel like mightve been burton, and then somehow donny or whichever team it was pulled off a 0-0 with basically a reserve team
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 15
2 Pages Prev 1 2 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Sickness in camp Gillingham.

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.