Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  The New Fishy  /  
Posted by: aussiej, March 15, 2024, 8:08am
Check Gillingham to see if match in on if you are setting off today. They cancelled training yesterday with 6 players and 2 staff sick.  
Posted by: Mappers, March 15, 2024, 8:08am; Reply: 1
https://www.kentonline.co.uk/medway/sport/gillingham-forced-to-cancel-training-ahead-of-big-weekend-cl-303402/

They have their best player suspended aswell .

You have to think it's a good time to play them ,providing we keep up our same level of performance.
Posted by: Theimperialcoroner, March 15, 2024, 8:10am; Reply: 2
I’m calling bullshit from them
Posted by: Poojah, March 15, 2024, 8:51am; Reply: 3
Quoted from aussiej
Check Gillingham to see if match in on if you are setting off today. They cancelled training yesterday with 6 players and 2 staff sick.  

Other than the old Covid rules (which no longer apply), you can’t call a game off for sickness, can you? Didn’t Spurs famously miss out on Europe owing to a dodgy lasagne striking most of their first-team down with food poisoning?
Posted by: ska face, March 15, 2024, 9:11am; Reply: 4
Never give much weight to this sort of thing. Always recall that day at Burton when their keeper was injured so they were forced to play their 46-year-old keeping coach & the bloke played like Lev Yashin on wizz.
Posted by: Poojah, March 15, 2024, 9:23am; Reply: 5
Quoted from ska face
Never give much weight to this sort of thing. Always recall that day at Burton when their keeper was injured so they were forced to play their 46-year-old keeping coach & the bloke played like Lev Yashin on wizz.

Mad to think that a handful of Town players who played that day are still playing, while Kevin Poole is in his 60s.
Posted by: LocalLadGTFC, March 15, 2024, 9:28am; Reply: 6
Quoted from Poojah

Other than the old Covid rules (which no longer apply), you can’t call a game off for sickness, can you? Didn’t Spurs famously miss out on Europe owing to a dodgy lasagne striking most of their first-team down with food poisoning?

You'd be correct
Posted by: TownSNAFU5, March 15, 2024, 11:17am; Reply: 7
Talking of keepers going off injured.  I watched a very good documentary on Aston Villa winning the league title in the early 1980s and then the European Cup.  They had not won the league since 1910.

In the last game of the season they took 15,000 plus fans to Highbury.  Arsenal were third. Ideally, they needed to win.They went 2-0 down, which was the final score.

Ipswich were their rivals to be champions.  They went 1-0 up at Middlesbrough.  Villa fans went very very quiet.  Then Middlesbrough scored twice eventually winning 2-1,  from despair to ecstasy.

Ron Saunders had worked miracles.  Beating Forest (European Cup holders) and Liverpool.  And after selling Andy Gray, their outstanding striker.  

The greatest achievement of all was winning the league with only 14 players!!  Today any match would probably use more than 14 players.  They had to be lucky with injuries etc.

In the European Cup they overcame unusual obstacles.  Ron Saunders resigned after 7 years on a point of principle.  Drawn in East Germany they were given a hotel at slum standards.  Hard to sleep on very uncomfortable beds and toilet seats unattached.

They got to the final, facing the very clear favourites Bayern Munich.  Their good luck continued.  Rimmer, their experienced keeper went off injured after 8 minutes.  This did not look lucky for them though.  

Nigel Spink came on.  He had 1 first team game.  He was magnificent.  Underpinning a 1-0 win for Villa with a miss-hit shot.  

A great 2 seasons.  I am old enough to remember all of this.

(Wiki says that Spink later played for FGR, and managed them).

Posted by: BobbyCummingsTackle, March 15, 2024, 11:51am; Reply: 8
I know a team who had someone sick, a couple of injuries and a couple of players injured in a car crash and their makeshift team went to a club doing well and got a good result that sparked an upturn in their season.

Beware the man who comes bearing gifts.

(but while trying to be the voice of reason I won't pretend that I'm not happy that their CB and top scorer (!) is missing from a team with a GD only a bit better than ours)
Posted by: moosey_club, March 15, 2024, 12:47pm; Reply: 9
Quoted from TownSNAFU5
Talking of keepers going off injured.  I watched a very good documentary on Aston Villa winning the league title in the early 1980s and then the European Cup.  They had not won the league since 1910.

In the last game of the season they took 15,000 plus fans to Highbury.  Arsenal were third. Ideally, they needed to win.They went 2-0 down, which was the final score.

Ipswich were their rivals to be champions.  They went 1-0 up at Middlesbrough.  Villa fans went very very quiet.  Then Middlesbrough scored twice eventually winning 2-1,  from despair to ecstasy.

Ron Saunders had worked miracles.  Beating Forest (European Cup holders) and Liverpool.  And after selling Andy Gray, their outstanding striker.  

The greatest achievement of all was winning the league with only 14 players!!  Today any match would probably use more than 14 players.  They had to be lucky with injuries etc.

In the European Cup they overcame unusual obstacles.  Ron Saunders resigned after 7 years on a point of principle.  Drawn in East Germany they were given a hotel at slum standards.  Hard to sleep on very uncomfortable beds and toilet seats unattached.

They got to the final, facing the very clear favourites Bayern Munich.  Their good luck continued.  Rimmer, their experienced keeper went off injured after 8 minutes.  This did not look lucky for them though.  

Nigel Spink came on.  He had 1 first team game.  He was magnificent.  Underpinning a 1-0 win for Villa with a miss-hit shot.  

Watched that game, remember thinking Spink was fantastic.
Posted by: RonMariner, March 15, 2024, 3:19pm; Reply: 10
Didn't we have a few players out ill not so long ago?
Posted by: 800 (Guest), March 15, 2024, 3:31pm; Reply: 11
Quoted from TownSNAFU5

I was at Essex Uni so watched Ipswich quite a bit when I couldn't fund trips up to GY. I wanted them to win the title but they did win the UEFA Cup. Great European nights at Portman Road.

I remember the Villa win in the European Cup as it was a day or so before starting my finals and around my birthday so I had to put any boozing thoughts on hold. A great result for Villa.  

I can remember the friends' house where I watched it. Just dragged the name of the road it was on from my memory. Those were the days. English clubs generally won the European Cup but I'd support any British team in Europe.
Posted by: barralad, March 15, 2024, 6:19pm; Reply: 12
Quoted from TownSNAFU5

Terry Donovan played for Villa in the early rounds of that European cup run as a replacement for the injured Gary Shaw who had a deadly front two partnership with Peter Withe in the 1st Dividion winnimg season.
Posted by: HertsGTFC, March 15, 2024, 7:37pm; Reply: 13
Quoted from barralad

Terry Donovan played for Villa in the early rounds of that European cup run as a replacement for the injured Gary Shaw who had a deadly front two partnership with Peter Withe in the 1st Dividion winnimg season.

And a couple of years ago was finally awarded his European Cup winners medal. :)
Posted by: Heisenberg, March 15, 2024, 9:55pm; Reply: 14
Quoted from HertsGTFC

And a couple of years ago was finally awarded his European Cup winners medal. :)

That’s incredible, I didn’t know that!!
Posted by: WHYWONTYOULETMESIGNUP, March 16, 2024, 12:38am; Reply: 15
I seem to remember, I think it was doncaster, having pretty much their entire first team out ill, someone posted it on here I think and the bookies hadnt caught on yet so was still decent odds for betting on the other team, which i feel like mightve been burton, and then somehow donny or whichever team it was pulled off a 0-0 with basically a reserve team
Print page generated: May 10, 2024, 1:43am