Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Wingers?
Moderators: Moderator
Users Browsing Forum

Wingers?

This thread currently has 1,941 views. Print
3 Pages 1 2 3 Next All Recommend Thread
IlkleyMariner
March 11, 2024, 7:33pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +12 / -1
Approval: +3,012
Gold Stars: 69
Both Grimsby and Liverpool were denied victory over the weekend by dodgy, nay incompetent decisions about a late penalty.

Which one will be the biggest winger?

Which one will get the success of a Title or avoid relegation.

Hope our lads put the injustice to one side and use it as motivation to win in future games…….

Don’t let the burgers get u down!

I’m sure the scousers won’t.
Logged Offline
Private Message
rancido
March 11, 2024, 10:34pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,572
Gold Stars: 96
I thought this was a thread about playing with wingers not one that was highlighting whingers.

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 20
Manchester Mariner
March 11, 2024, 10:35pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 0.51
Rep Score: +11 / -3
Approval: +2,817
Gold Stars: 41
Quoted from rancido
I thought this was a thread about playing with wingers not one that was highlighting whingers.

Yep. I was looking forward to a Dave Gilbert and Gary Childs love in.

"Lovelly stuff! not my words but the words of Shakin Stevens."
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 20
Limerick Mariner
March 11, 2024, 10:59pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +10 / -3
Approval: +5,695
Gold Stars: 136
Quoted from Manchester Mariner

Either that or something about how they are now redundant with the all new form of Artellball…

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 20
HerveJosse
March 12, 2024, 7:42am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.89
Rep Score: +6 / -3
Approval: +1,207
Gold Stars: 144
Pointless thread. . Who wants to be bracketed with those renown whiners. Move on we have another game tonight.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 20
Running like emson
March 12, 2024, 8:20am

Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.08
Rep Score: +7 / 0
Approval: +285
Gold Stars: 8
How disappointed I was ....
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 20
diehardmariner
March 12, 2024, 9:42am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,614
Gold Stars: 538
Quoted from Manchester Mariner

intercourse it, let's have one.  Mainly because of some stuff I was watching over the weekend on Twitter.

Both were absolutely incredible in their time but it's Childs who I genuinely think would be a top, top level player in the modern game. When you watch back the old clips from On This GTFC Day his whole game was years ahead of his time.  He was very capable of doing the traditional winger stuff, but look at the way he drifts inside out of possession, drags a player with him and releases space for someone else to exploit.  But so much of our play was started by him dropping really deep and central, turning in possession and completely changing the tempo of play.

The compliment to him came perfectly on the other side from Diddy who just hugged that touchline like his life depended on it. You never saw him drift inside out of possession and he would often be stood on his own with arms in the air, begging for the ball to be switched across to him.  When it eventually got there the only way that ball was leaving his foot was if he decided so, his close control was just something else.  

You don't realise at the time how good it is/was.  We've had some good wingers since, but for me none as good as these two.  And certainly never at the same time.
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 20
It Bites
March 12, 2024, 9:43am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.45
Rep Score: +4 / -10
Approval: +2,163
Gold Stars: 264
Tony Ford , Paul Emson
?
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 20
diehardmariner
March 12, 2024, 9:47am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,614
Gold Stars: 538
Both before (first spell in the case of Ford anyway).

Ford was more a utility player when he came back, seem to remember him playing most of his games as back-up to Macca (I presume injured).  I missed his first spell but he was still a bloody good player when he came back.  In my eight-year-old mind he was an old man when he came back.  He was 31...

Perhaps it's how the game has moved on but 31 seemed really end of the road, last roll of the dice type then.  Danny Rose will be 31 before this year is out.
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 20
Manchester Mariner
March 12, 2024, 10:46am

Exile
Posts Per Day: 0.51
Rep Score: +11 / -3
Approval: +2,817
Gold Stars: 41
Quoted from diehardmariner

intercourse it, let's have one.  Mainly because of some stuff I was watching over the weekend on Twitter.

Both were absolutely incredible in their time but it's Childs who I genuinely think would be a top, top level player in the modern game. When you watch back the old clips from On This GTFC Day his whole game was years ahead of his time.  He was very capable of doing the traditional winger stuff, but look at the way he drifts inside out of possession, drags a player with him and releases space for someone else to exploit.  But so much of our play was started by him dropping really deep and central, turning in possession and completely changing the tempo of play.

The compliment to him came perfectly on the other side from Diddy who just hugged that touchline like his life depended on it. You never saw him drift inside out of possession and he would often be stood on his own with arms in the air, begging for the ball to be switched across to him.  When it eventually got there the only way that ball was leaving his foot was if he decided so, his close control was just something else.  

You don't realise at the time how good it is/was.  We've had some good wingers since, but for me none as good as these two.  And certainly never at the same time.

I started going to watch Town with my dad pretty much at the same time as Buckley took over so I was hugely spoiled as a young supporter with players like Gilbert and Childs on either side working their wonders. I also liked Tommy Watson too who probably would've been more prominent if it wasn't for Childs being first choice on the right wing.

"Lovelly stuff! not my words but the words of Shakin Stevens."
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 20
3 Pages 1 2 3 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Wingers?

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.