Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Wingers?
Moderators: Moderator
Users Browsing Forum

Wingers?

This thread currently has 1,946 views. Print
3 Pages 1 2 3 All Recommend Thread
IlkleyMariner
March 11, 2024, 7:33pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +12 / -1
Approval: +3,014
Gold Stars: 69
Both Grimsby and Liverpool were denied victory over the weekend by dodgy, nay incompetent decisions about a late penalty.

Which one will be the biggest winger?

Which one will get the success of a Title or avoid relegation.

Hope our lads put the injustice to one side and use it as motivation to win in future games…….

Don’t let the burgers get u down!

I’m sure the scousers won’t.
Logged Online
Private Message
rancido
March 11, 2024, 10:34pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,571
Gold Stars: 96
I thought this was a thread about playing with wingers not one that was highlighting whingers.

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 20
Manchester Mariner
March 11, 2024, 10:35pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 0.51
Rep Score: +11 / -3
Approval: +2,817
Gold Stars: 41
Quoted from rancido
I thought this was a thread about playing with wingers not one that was highlighting whingers.

Yep. I was looking forward to a Dave Gilbert and Gary Childs love in.

"Lovelly stuff! not my words but the words of Shakin Stevens."
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 20
Limerick Mariner
March 11, 2024, 10:59pm
Whiskey Drinker
Rep Score: +10 / -3
Approval: +5,704
Gold Stars: 136
Quoted from Manchester Mariner

Either that or something about how they are now redundant with the all new form of Artellball…

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 20
HerveJosse
March 12, 2024, 7:42am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.89
Rep Score: +6 / -3
Approval: +1,206
Gold Stars: 144
Pointless thread. . Who wants to be bracketed with those renown whiners. Move on we have another game tonight.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 20
Running like emson
March 12, 2024, 8:20am

Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.08
Rep Score: +7 / 0
Approval: +285
Gold Stars: 8
How disappointed I was ....
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 20
diehardmariner
March 12, 2024, 9:42am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,637
Gold Stars: 539

intercourse it, let's have one.  Mainly because of some stuff I was watching over the weekend on Twitter.

Both were absolutely incredible in their time but it's Childs who I genuinely think would be a top, top level player in the modern game. When you watch back the old clips from On This GTFC Day his whole game was years ahead of his time.  He was very capable of doing the traditional winger stuff, but look at the way he drifts inside out of possession, drags a player with him and releases space for someone else to exploit.  But so much of our play was started by him dropping really deep and central, turning in possession and completely changing the tempo of play.

The compliment to him came perfectly on the other side from Diddy who just hugged that touchline like his life depended on it. You never saw him drift inside out of possession and he would often be stood on his own with arms in the air, begging for the ball to be switched across to him.  When it eventually got there the only way that ball was leaving his foot was if he decided so, his close control was just something else.  

You don't realise at the time how good it is/was.  We've had some good wingers since, but for me none as good as these two.  And certainly never at the same time.
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 20
It Bites
March 12, 2024, 9:43am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.46
Rep Score: +4 / -10
Approval: +2,227
Gold Stars: 265
Tony Ford , Paul Emson
?
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 20
diehardmariner
March 12, 2024, 9:47am
Vodka Drinker
Both before (first spell in the case of Ford anyway).

Ford was more a utility player when he came back, seem to remember him playing most of his games as back-up to Macca (I presume injured).  I missed his first spell but he was still a bloody good player when he came back.  In my eight-year-old mind he was an old man when he came back.  He was 31...

Perhaps it's how the game has moved on but 31 seemed really end of the road, last roll of the dice type then.  Danny Rose will be 31 before this year is out.
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 20
Manchester Mariner
March 12, 2024, 10:46am

Exile
Posts Per Day: 0.51
Rep Score: +11 / -3
Approval: +2,817
Gold Stars: 41
Quoted from diehardmariner

intercourse it, let's have one.  Mainly because of some stuff I was watching over the weekend on Twitter.

Both were absolutely incredible in their time but it's Childs who I genuinely think would be a top, top level player in the modern game. When you watch back the old clips from On This GTFC Day his whole game was years ahead of his time.  He was very capable of doing the traditional winger stuff, but look at the way he drifts inside out of possession, drags a player with him and releases space for someone else to exploit.  But so much of our play was started by him dropping really deep and central, turning in possession and completely changing the tempo of play.

The compliment to him came perfectly on the other side from Diddy who just hugged that touchline like his life depended on it. You never saw him drift inside out of possession and he would often be stood on his own with arms in the air, begging for the ball to be switched across to him.  When it eventually got there the only way that ball was leaving his foot was if he decided so, his close control was just something else.  

You don't realise at the time how good it is/was.  We've had some good wingers since, but for me none as good as these two.  And certainly never at the same time.

I started going to watch Town with my dad pretty much at the same time as Buckley took over so I was hugely spoiled as a young supporter with players like Gilbert and Childs on either side working their wonders. I also liked Tommy Watson too who probably would've been more prominent if it wasn't for Childs being first choice on the right wing.

"Lovelly stuff! not my words but the words of Shakin Stevens."
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 20
Maringer
March 12, 2024, 11:14am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,564
Gold Stars: 185

I started going to watch Town with my dad pretty much at the same time as Buckley took over so I was hugely spoiled as a young supporter with players like Gilbert and Childs on either side working their wonders. I also liked Tommy Watson too who probably would've been more prominent if it wasn't for Childs being first choice on the right wing.

Same here. Gilbert used to turn full-backs inside-out on many an occasion, but also had the frustrating habit of overdoing it sometimes to the point where he didn't manage to get the cross into the box. Childs flying down the wing brings back memories as well, and I have never seen a player jump as high to avoid a tackle when the full-back was coming across. In fact, I'm not sure I can remember Childs making a tackle, though he always seemed to get stuck in on a Saturday night in the Pier...
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 20
Mallyner
March 12, 2024, 12:09pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.60
Rep Score: +9 / -2
Approval: +2,515
Gold Stars: 23
I have had a mental blockage.

Who was the left winger who we used to punt the ball up to in the air, hoping he would win it and head it to one of us.

I seem to remember he had played at a higher level, but joined us later in his career; and he did have an eye for goal.

But I felt in the end the crowd stopped loving him.

I have looked back on the last 15 seasons and seen Peter Beagrie, but I don't feel it was him. Somehow Kevin seems to come to mind, but has all this been in one of my vivid dreams?  

Supporting Town for 65 years.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 20
diehardmariner
March 12, 2024, 12:20pm
Vodka Drinker
Andy Monkhouse - 2015/16.

That tactic worked a dream for the first five or six games. He was really, really effective at either nodding it down from the touchline or beating people at the back post. He was (still is I presume!) 6'2 which is bloody big for a winger but was also really good in the air for it.   Then everyone cottoned onto it and basically put their biggest centre-back at right-back to counter him.  He no longer had the pace to run at players so it kinda made him a bit of a spare part at times.

Monkhouse was still a very good player but because that was the only way we were utilising him, he took the brunt of the frustration from the crowd.

Hurst wouldn't budge on him and it was only his injury in the final few games of that season saw him go with Craig Clay back in central midfield alongside Dis and Jon Nolan playing an inverted role off the left.   Had that not happened, I don't think we go up.
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 20
Mallyner
March 12, 2024, 1:25pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.60
Rep Score: +9 / -2
Approval: +2,515
Gold Stars: 23

That tactic worked a dream for the first five or six games. He was really, really effective at either nodding it down from the touchline or beating people at the back post. He was (still is I presume!) 6'2 which is bloody big for a winger but was also really good in the air for it.   Then everyone cottoned onto it and basically put their biggest centre-back at right-back to counter him.  He no longer had the pace to run at players so it kinda made him a bit of a spare part at times.

Monkhouse was still a very good player but because that was the only way we were utilising him, he took the brunt of the frustration from the crowd.

Hurst wouldn't budge on him and it was only his injury in the final few games of that season saw him go with Craig Clay back in central midfield alongside Dis and Jon Nolan playing an inverted role off the left.   Had that not happened, I don't think we go up.

Thank you so much mate, that is the guy. I was thinking it was a bit earlier than that.

Supporting Town for 65 years.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 20
rancido
March 12, 2024, 1:43pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,571
Gold Stars: 96

The problem with using Monkhouse in that role is that we used it too much. If we had varied it's application during a game so that the opposing defense didn't know where the keeper was kicking then that would have worked to our benefit. Unfortunately it was so predictable as to eventually become ineffective.

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 20
diehardmariner
March 12, 2024, 2:12pm
Vodka Drinker
Absolutely!  A great example of squeezing every aspect of it out in the early days.  We weren't even subtle with it, it got to the point where the whole shape of the side would adjust on goalkicks in anticipation/hope of Monkhouse winning the flick-on.

I think Hurst did end up, for a bit anyway, moving Monkhouse more centrally.  I could be wrong but I'm sure he ended up playing up front a few games, perhaps around the time where he was determined to not play Amond or when Bogle was out injured for a few weeks.  Again, ineffective.  Monkhouse's strength aerially was coming onto the ball and attacking it.  Down the middle he just didn't have it in his skillset to win flick-ons etc. from a standing position.  

The season before, Bristol Rovers came here around Feb time and beat us 1-0.  Monkhouse absolutely dominated us that game, from the left wing position but he was much more involved in the general play.  Technically he was very good, just lacked pace at that stage of his career.  When we signed him I really thought we had pulled a bit of a coup, even more so when he started so well.
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 20
grimsby pete
March 12, 2024, 2:53pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.80
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,800
Gold Stars: 222
I Grew up watching Jonny Scott and Jimmy Fell both top class.

Then Brian Hill who was 6 stone wet through but top notch.

We have had some bloody good players over the years.

Let's hope we can again and our future fans will still be talking about them in 60 years time.

Danny Rose will be one of them out of our present team imo.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 20
lee65
March 12, 2024, 3:13pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.36
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +2,486
Gold Stars: 10
Quoted from Mallyner

Thank you so much mate, that is the guy. I was thinking it was a bit earlier than that.

Well the one I always think of from the late 70’s was Mike Lester.., amazing tricks pre-game when warming up, but never really translated to the game itself  (I think he’d played for Man City?)
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 20
Limerick Mariner
March 12, 2024, 4:51pm
Whiskey Drinker
Rep Score: +10 / -3
Approval: +5,704
Gold Stars: 136
If we are talking Town wingers and not whingers then any thread has to include Jack Lewis…joyous to watch, and a superb moustache, so good in fact that it had to be painted onto one of the players in your Town Subutteo set
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 20
RonMariner
March 12, 2024, 6:20pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.42
Rep Score: +42 / -7
Approval: +13,733
Gold Stars: 226
Wasn't there a song with the lines......

we all love you
we all love you
Stuart Brace is King!

He was too. I think he scored 25 goals one season.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 20
RonMariner
March 12, 2024, 7:32pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.42
Rep Score: +42 / -7
Approval: +13,733
Gold Stars: 226
Quoted from RonMariner
Wasn't there a song with the lines......

we all love you
we all love you
Stuart Brace is King!

He was too. I think he scored 25 goals one season.

Coming back to me now…sung to the tune of knee’s up Mother Brown

Ei I ei i addio
Up the table we will go
When we win promotion
This is what we’ll sing
We all love you
We all love you
Stuart Brace is king!

Circa 1971/72 season.

We did.
And we did.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 20
3 Pages 1 2 3 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Wingers?

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.