Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › New deal with Premier League & EFL looks to be
Moderators: Moderator
Users Browsing Forum

New deal with Premier League & EFL looks to be

This thread currently has 1,707 views. Print
2 Pages 1 2 All Recommend Thread
Balthazar Bullitt
March 11, 2024, 5:23pm

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.26
Rep Score: +10 / -1
Approval: +2,260
Gold Stars: 16
https://news.sky.com/story/premier-league-shelves-new-deal-vote-amid-club-stalemate-13092744

Doesn't look like there is enough support for the proposed deal to pass. Not sure what this means in terms of ongoing deals/payments but there won't be any extra payments forthcoming unless they can agree a new plan. Further on in the article it mentions that the regulatory body which is set to be introduced may not be fully operational until 2026. Whilst the regulator may impose a deal more favourable to EFL clubs it would mean that Premier League club owners have two years in which to lobby the government or officials involved - and as we've seen, a small investment made in the right place can go a long way.
Logged Offline
Private Message
moosey_club
March 11, 2024, 6:25pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.70
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,251
Gold Stars: 226
Knock me down with a feather 🙄

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWLW
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 16
LN8Mariner
March 11, 2024, 7:05pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.14
Rep Score: +1 / 0
Approval: +313
Gold Stars: 9
Saw an interesting thought on Twitter (I think) where somebody looked at the clubs and their potential voting. Effectively they said those teams who are permanent Premier League (those who have always been in PL since its inception) pretty much don't care, those mainly (Everton excepting) enjoy European football so the FL deal will be small change lost to them. There are, however, about 40 teams who have been in the PL and the vast majority of those are yo-yo clubs. The argument was that all those clubs should actually have a say in the vote. Burnley won't vote to change currently but may if they get relegated, a Huddersfield will want more money... etc. So the vote should go to all teams who have been in the PL at some point was the argument. Shame I can't find it!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 16
louth_in_the_south
March 11, 2024, 7:19pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 0.69
Rep Score: +25 / -12
Approval: +5,682
Gold Stars: 96
What a surprise. Foreign owned clubs don’t get the pyramid and certainly don’t give a sh.it about clubs down at L1 and below. There’s also the issue of clubs owned by the same nationality such as Newcastle and Sheff Utd , with Newcastle ownership coercing the sheff Utd owners to vote against even though sheff U heading back to the efl .

Lower F5
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 16
IlkleyMariner
March 11, 2024, 7:36pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +12 / -1
Approval: +3,012
Gold Stars: 69
Another example of our knackered country selling the Crown Jewels.

I’ve been banging on about this for years….and still being proved correct but ignored.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 16
Heisenberg
March 11, 2024, 7:48pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.80
Rep Score: +9 / -1
Approval: +5,047
Gold Stars: 93
The Price of Football has a new episode every Thursday - Keiran McGuire will tear this to shreds, I’d imagine.

It’s a good podcast as McGuire supports Brighton, and Kevin Day supports Palace. They’re both in favour of a deal being sorted as, in their words, “we’ll need it one day when we’re back down there!”.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 16
IlkleyMariner
March 11, 2024, 8:06pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +12 / -1
Approval: +3,012
Gold Stars: 69
I’m sure they will.

The league construction will be based around…

1 wealth of ownership worldwide
2 distribution of worldwide media and sponsorship money
3 local population size and wealth

Either way , outliers like Workington, Merthyr, Nelson, Glossop, Bradford Park Avenue and Grimsby will struggle to compete in the English top 42 clubs, ie 18 Premier and 24 Championship

Thoughts?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 16
Gaffer58
March 11, 2024, 8:46pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.88
Rep Score: +6 / -8
Approval: +4,096
Gold Stars: 33
No different to now then, no way can we compete in either championship or league one against clubs like Sunderland, Leeds even Ipswich and Norwich from the championship and Derby,Portsmouth and again even Barnsley from league 1.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 16
Abdul19
March 11, 2024, 10:05pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.41
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,565
Gold Stars: 216
Quoted from IlkleyMariner
I’ve been banging on about this for years….and still being proved correct but ignored.

Insane that the powers that be aren't listening to a bloke off The Fishy.

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 16
HerveJosse
March 12, 2024, 7:49am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.89
Rep Score: +6 / -3
Approval: +1,206
Gold Stars: 144
Quoted from IlkleyMariner
I’m sure they will.

The league construction will be based around…

1 wealth of ownership worldwide
2 distribution of worldwide media and sponsorship money
3 local population size and wealth

Either way , outliers like Workington, Merthyr, Nelson, Glossop, Bradford Park Avenue and Grimsby will struggle to compete in the English top 42 clubs, ie 18 Premier and 24 Championship

Thoughts?

Thoughts.
Try dreaming about three points toniight.
If that doesn’t work go for a walk up to the cow and calf or have tea in Bettys

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 16
grimps
March 12, 2024, 8:43am
balderdash
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.79
Rep Score: +21 / -19
Approval: +5,129
Gold Stars: 46
They could give the EFL 10 billion and by next season it would all have been spent on players and agents.
there's already enough money in the game, the problem is it goes into players and agents bank accounts and doesn't get spent on facilities or grass roots.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 16
Mappers
March 12, 2024, 9:07am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 5.43
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +4,317
Gold Stars: 117
Quoted from grimps
They could give the EFL 10 billion and by next season it would all have been spent on players and agents.
there's already enough money in the game, the problem is it goes into players and agents bank accounts and doesn't get spent on facilities or grass roots.

And  cheaper ticketing - all the league 2 24/25 season ticket prices released so far are a hike on this one (with some people not actually knowing how many games they will be able to attend) . Suspect ours will be up - difficult to see how they justify £400+ a season for division 4 football when all the clubs are going to be getting a shiny extra million quid or whatever it is which will probably be spunked on player salaries .

I think there should be some sort of cap on it otherwise in the next 5 years i can see ST prices north of £500 even for league 2 with matchday prices up over £25 probably .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 16
rancido
March 12, 2024, 11:52am

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,568
Quoted from Mappers

And  cheaper ticketing - all the league 2 24/25 season ticket prices released so far are a hike on this one (with some people not actually knowing how many games they will be able to attend) . Suspect ours will be up - difficult to see how they justify £400+ a season for division 4 football when all the clubs are going to be getting a shiny extra million quid or whatever it is which will probably be spunked on player salaries .

I think there should be some sort of cap on it otherwise in the next 5 years i can see ST prices north of £500 even for league 2 with matchday prices up over £25 probably .

But that is the conundrum. If you want a Football League club then you need the players to maintain that status. I don't see "spunking a million quid or so on players salaries" a waste of money if it keeps a clubs Football League status. You also need the right infrastructure,  ground and playing surface, to compliment that squad. You only have to look at how much money we have used to improve our playing surface so that we can have the best chance for our players to play football. You only have to look at the pitch at Sutton or the problems that Colchester are having to appreciate how important a good and well maintained playing surface is. Then there are the costs of maintaining a decent stadium to improve the " fans matchday experience". It all has to be paid for and commercial income with transfer income only goes so far. Yes, we should get more money from the Premiersh*t but they aren't bothered about the financial problems in the lower league clubs. I would imagine the ticketing is based on predicted attendances but I know nothing about marketing or the commercial aspects of running a lower league football club. The default situation, when it comes  to the finances of a lower league football club, is for the fans to expect the owners/Board to "invest" more money. That's ok but apart from the kudos why would anybody invest in a lower league football club when the chances of any return on investment is so risky?

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 16
Mappers
March 12, 2024, 1:05pm
Champagne Drinker
Quoted from rancido

But that is the conundrum. If you want a Football League club then you need the players to maintain that status. I don't see "spunking a million quid or so on players salaries" a waste of money if it keeps a clubs Football League status. You also need the right infrastructure,  ground and playing surface, to compliment that squad. You only have to look at how much money we have used to improve our playing surface so that we can have the best chance for our players to play football. You only have to look at the pitch at Sutton or the problems that Colchester are having to appreciate how important a good and well maintained playing surface is. Then there are the costs of maintaining a decent stadium to improve the " fans matchday experience". It all has to be paid for and commercial income with transfer income only goes so far. Yes, we should get more money from the Premiersh*t but they aren't bothered about the financial problems in the lower league clubs. I would imagine the ticketing is based on predicted attendances but I know nothing about marketing or the commercial aspects of running a lower league football club. The default situation, when it comes  to the finances of a lower league football club, is for the fans to expect the owners/Board to "invest" more money. That's ok but apart from the kudos why would anybody invest in a lower league football club when the chances of any return on investment is so risky?

Yes I understand all of that but there are smaller clubs(Accrington, Morecambe and Sutton for example  who get a fraction in attendance to say Swindon & Tranmere who have announced their new prices at close to £400+ ) who charge less .

Just to be clear I'm not saying the whole million quid should go on some sort of extreme lowering of the prices , just a small % ; maybe 5% or 10% on a small reduction or freezing of prices . The 50-100k would give a decrease on an adult season ticket of £10-£20 for us and although It doesn't sound a lot would be a move in the right direction imo .

I mean if they said we will have a top end budget but it will be £600- £700 quid would people be happy and willing to pay out ?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 16
rancido
March 12, 2024, 1:37pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,568
Quoted from Mappers

Yes I understand all of that but there are smaller clubs(Accrington, Morecambe and Sutton for example  who get a fraction in attendance to say Swindon & Tranmere who have announced their new prices at close to £400+ ) who charge less .

Just to be clear I'm not saying the whole million quid should go on some sort of extreme lowering of the prices , just a small % ; maybe 5% or 10% on a small reduction or freezing of prices . The 50-100k would give a decrease on an adult season ticket of £10-£20 for us and although It doesn't sound a lot would be a move in the right direction imo .

I mean if they said we will have a top end budget but it will be £600- £700 quid would people be happy and willing to pay out ?

I get your point about clubs with smaller attendances but until you know their running costs then it is unfair to compare them to us. As an example , since  JS and AP took over we have increased the coaching staff to a level that gives us a better chance to get the best out of our squad. Other clubs might not see this as important and our previous owner certainly didn't. DA mentioned how, when he was at Crewe , he was expected to do several roles simultaneously which he's said " burnt him out". Certainly the ST pricing  structure could be "tweaked" to make them more attractive or some cash from other areas diverted to facilitate a reduction.I get a generous discount for being 75+ and I could afford an increase of say £20 if it benefited someone paying full whack but that might not apply to everyone in my situation. ST ticket prices are always contentious when a new season starts but I'm sure that with our present regime the costings are carefully considered.

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 16
Mappers
March 12, 2024, 1:59pm
Champagne Drinker
Quoted from rancido

I get your point about clubs with smaller attendances but until you know their running costs then it is unfair to compare them to us. As an example , since  JS and AP took over we have increased the coaching staff to a level that gives us a better chance to get the best out of our squad. Other clubs might not see this as important and our previous owner certainly didn't. DA mentioned how, when he was at Crewe , he was expected to do several roles simultaneously which he's said " burnt him out". Certainly the ST pricing  structure could be "tweaked" to make them more attractive or some cash from other areas diverted to facilitate a reduction.I get a generous discount for being 75+ and I could afford an increase of say £20 if it benefited someone paying full whack but that might not apply to everyone in my situation. ST ticket prices are always contentious when a new season starts but I'm sure that with our present regime the costings are carefully considered.

Yeah I do appreciate your viewpoint and It's not a slant on the owners at all more a generalisation of the rising costs even for fans - I guess you could say it's like anything just going up and will continue to do so - I suppose the main thing is , is getting future generations in ; hopefully everyone that want's to go can .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 16
GollyGTFC
March 12, 2024, 8:44pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.68
Rep Score: +19 / -11
Approval: +5,960
Gold Stars: 356
The deal is agreed. What isn’t agreed is who pays for it. The greedy 6 want to split it evenly across the 20 clubs. The rest think the bigger clubs should pay more.
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 16 - 16
2 Pages 1 2 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › New deal with Premier League & EFL looks to be

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.