Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › New deal with Premier League & EFL looks to be
Moderators: Moderator
Users Browsing Forum

New deal with Premier League & EFL looks to be

This thread currently has 1,710 views. Print
2 Pages Prev 1 2 All Recommend Thread
grimps
March 12, 2024, 8:43am
balderdash
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.79
Rep Score: +21 / -19
Approval: +5,129
Gold Stars: 46
They could give the EFL 10 billion and by next season it would all have been spent on players and agents.
there's already enough money in the game, the problem is it goes into players and agents bank accounts and doesn't get spent on facilities or grass roots.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 16
Mappers
March 12, 2024, 9:07am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 5.43
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +4,328
Gold Stars: 118
Quoted from grimps
They could give the EFL 10 billion and by next season it would all have been spent on players and agents.
there's already enough money in the game, the problem is it goes into players and agents bank accounts and doesn't get spent on facilities or grass roots.

And  cheaper ticketing - all the league 2 24/25 season ticket prices released so far are a hike on this one (with some people not actually knowing how many games they will be able to attend) . Suspect ours will be up - difficult to see how they justify £400+ a season for division 4 football when all the clubs are going to be getting a shiny extra million quid or whatever it is which will probably be spunked on player salaries .

I think there should be some sort of cap on it otherwise in the next 5 years i can see ST prices north of £500 even for league 2 with matchday prices up over £25 probably .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 16
rancido
March 12, 2024, 11:52am

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,572
Gold Stars: 96
Quoted from Mappers

And  cheaper ticketing - all the league 2 24/25 season ticket prices released so far are a hike on this one (with some people not actually knowing how many games they will be able to attend) . Suspect ours will be up - difficult to see how they justify £400+ a season for division 4 football when all the clubs are going to be getting a shiny extra million quid or whatever it is which will probably be spunked on player salaries .

I think there should be some sort of cap on it otherwise in the next 5 years i can see ST prices north of £500 even for league 2 with matchday prices up over £25 probably .

But that is the conundrum. If you want a Football League club then you need the players to maintain that status. I don't see "spunking a million quid or so on players salaries" a waste of money if it keeps a clubs Football League status. You also need the right infrastructure,  ground and playing surface, to compliment that squad. You only have to look at how much money we have used to improve our playing surface so that we can have the best chance for our players to play football. You only have to look at the pitch at Sutton or the problems that Colchester are having to appreciate how important a good and well maintained playing surface is. Then there are the costs of maintaining a decent stadium to improve the " fans matchday experience". It all has to be paid for and commercial income with transfer income only goes so far. Yes, we should get more money from the Premiersh*t but they aren't bothered about the financial problems in the lower league clubs. I would imagine the ticketing is based on predicted attendances but I know nothing about marketing or the commercial aspects of running a lower league football club. The default situation, when it comes  to the finances of a lower league football club, is for the fans to expect the owners/Board to "invest" more money. That's ok but apart from the kudos why would anybody invest in a lower league football club when the chances of any return on investment is so risky?

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 16
Mappers
March 12, 2024, 1:05pm
Champagne Drinker
Quoted from rancido

But that is the conundrum. If you want a Football League club then you need the players to maintain that status. I don't see "spunking a million quid or so on players salaries" a waste of money if it keeps a clubs Football League status. You also need the right infrastructure,  ground and playing surface, to compliment that squad. You only have to look at how much money we have used to improve our playing surface so that we can have the best chance for our players to play football. You only have to look at the pitch at Sutton or the problems that Colchester are having to appreciate how important a good and well maintained playing surface is. Then there are the costs of maintaining a decent stadium to improve the " fans matchday experience". It all has to be paid for and commercial income with transfer income only goes so far. Yes, we should get more money from the Premiersh*t but they aren't bothered about the financial problems in the lower league clubs. I would imagine the ticketing is based on predicted attendances but I know nothing about marketing or the commercial aspects of running a lower league football club. The default situation, when it comes  to the finances of a lower league football club, is for the fans to expect the owners/Board to "invest" more money. That's ok but apart from the kudos why would anybody invest in a lower league football club when the chances of any return on investment is so risky?

Yes I understand all of that but there are smaller clubs(Accrington, Morecambe and Sutton for example  who get a fraction in attendance to say Swindon & Tranmere who have announced their new prices at close to £400+ ) who charge less .

Just to be clear I'm not saying the whole million quid should go on some sort of extreme lowering of the prices , just a small % ; maybe 5% or 10% on a small reduction or freezing of prices . The 50-100k would give a decrease on an adult season ticket of £10-£20 for us and although It doesn't sound a lot would be a move in the right direction imo .

I mean if they said we will have a top end budget but it will be £600- £700 quid would people be happy and willing to pay out ?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 16
rancido
March 12, 2024, 1:37pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,572
Gold Stars: 96
Quoted from Mappers

Yes I understand all of that but there are smaller clubs(Accrington, Morecambe and Sutton for example  who get a fraction in attendance to say Swindon & Tranmere who have announced their new prices at close to £400+ ) who charge less .

Just to be clear I'm not saying the whole million quid should go on some sort of extreme lowering of the prices , just a small % ; maybe 5% or 10% on a small reduction or freezing of prices . The 50-100k would give a decrease on an adult season ticket of £10-£20 for us and although It doesn't sound a lot would be a move in the right direction imo .

I mean if they said we will have a top end budget but it will be £600- £700 quid would people be happy and willing to pay out ?

I get your point about clubs with smaller attendances but until you know their running costs then it is unfair to compare them to us. As an example , since  JS and AP took over we have increased the coaching staff to a level that gives us a better chance to get the best out of our squad. Other clubs might not see this as important and our previous owner certainly didn't. DA mentioned how, when he was at Crewe , he was expected to do several roles simultaneously which he's said " burnt him out". Certainly the ST pricing  structure could be "tweaked" to make them more attractive or some cash from other areas diverted to facilitate a reduction.I get a generous discount for being 75+ and I could afford an increase of say £20 if it benefited someone paying full whack but that might not apply to everyone in my situation. ST ticket prices are always contentious when a new season starts but I'm sure that with our present regime the costings are carefully considered.

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 16
Mappers
March 12, 2024, 1:59pm
Champagne Drinker
Quoted from rancido

I get your point about clubs with smaller attendances but until you know their running costs then it is unfair to compare them to us. As an example , since  JS and AP took over we have increased the coaching staff to a level that gives us a better chance to get the best out of our squad. Other clubs might not see this as important and our previous owner certainly didn't. DA mentioned how, when he was at Crewe , he was expected to do several roles simultaneously which he's said " burnt him out". Certainly the ST pricing  structure could be "tweaked" to make them more attractive or some cash from other areas diverted to facilitate a reduction.I get a generous discount for being 75+ and I could afford an increase of say £20 if it benefited someone paying full whack but that might not apply to everyone in my situation. ST ticket prices are always contentious when a new season starts but I'm sure that with our present regime the costings are carefully considered.

Yeah I do appreciate your viewpoint and It's not a slant on the owners at all more a generalisation of the rising costs even for fans - I guess you could say it's like anything just going up and will continue to do so - I suppose the main thing is , is getting future generations in ; hopefully everyone that want's to go can .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 16
GollyGTFC
March 12, 2024, 8:44pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.68
Rep Score: +19 / -11
Approval: +5,962
Gold Stars: 356
The deal is agreed. What isn’t agreed is who pays for it. The greedy 6 want to split it evenly across the 20 clubs. The rest think the bigger clubs should pay more.
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 16 - 16
2 Pages Prev 1 2 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › New deal with Premier League & EFL looks to be

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.