Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Tosser!
Moderators: Moderator
Users Browsing Forum

Tosser!

This thread currently has 6,003 views. Print
4 Pages 1 2 3 4 All Recommend Thread
ginnywings
March 7, 2024, 6:26pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.03
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,127
Gold Stars: 548
Logged Online
Private Message
Poojah
March 7, 2024, 6:29pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,539
Gold Stars: 1,500
It’s MK Dons fans. They deserve a lot worse than a ball in the face.

Don’t like Harry Pell, but I’m with him on this one. Fúck ‘em.

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 37
HertsGTFC
March 7, 2024, 7:06pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,921
Gold Stars: 228
Quoted from ginnywings

He’s dead hard he is 😂😂😂

Last year I took my team out for a social, few drinks, dinner etc.. and we went to Swingers ( indoor crazy golf not the weekend pursuit for those who need a spark in their marriage) you put your team name on the TV screen when I did ours I saw the name Harry Pell, and yes the complete Pell end was there in all his lanky toss pot glory.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 37
jamesgtfc
March 7, 2024, 7:13pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +12,959
Gold Stars: 190
Quoted from HertsGTFC

He’s dead hard he is 😂😂😂

Last year I took my team out for a social, few drinks, dinner etc.. and we went to Swingers ( indoor crazy golf not the weekend pursuit for those who need a spark in their marriage) you put your team name on the TV screen when I did ours I saw the name Harry Pell, and yes the complete Pell end was there in all his lanky toss pot glory.

Was he with any 15 year olds?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 37
gtfc98
March 7, 2024, 8:41pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.74
Rep Score: +45 / -21
Approval: +3,066
Gold Stars: 68
Quoted from jamesgtfc

Was he with any 15 year olds?

allegedly

No longer Sick of the BlueSquare  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 37
grimsby pete
March 7, 2024, 8:43pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.80
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,797
Gold Stars: 222
I think whatever you think of MK. We should back them up with what a tosser . Pell is.

It's not the fans that stole a football team just a Pillock. with too much money.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 37
pizzzza
March 7, 2024, 9:45pm

Pontoonite
Posts Per Day: 1.06
Rep Score: +20 / -10
Approval: +6,701
Gold Stars: 137
Quoted from Poojah

What exactly do they deserve then? And why?
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 37
Poojah
March 7, 2024, 10:26pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from pizzzza

What exactly do they deserve then? And why?

I’d suggest they deserve to experience having their beloved so-called football club taken away from them for a start. The very concept of MK Dons is morally bankrupt, and I won’t be satisfied until they are financially so.

Do I really need to explain the “why”? Do you know what, fúck it, you’ve triggered me (‘cos I really don’t like the cúnts), so I’ll give you an answer. Big deep breath…

Let me start by giving some credit where it’s due; the whole Wimbledon to Milton Keynes strategy actually made complete sense. On a spreadsheet. With a population of over 250,000, MK was one of the largest urban areas in the UK without a league club, in part due to the fact it was a new town founded in the 1970s. Better yet, it was probably the largest urban area in the UK nowhere near a so-called “big club”. MK is some 70 miles from Villa Park, and over an hour on a train to central London. A massive, untapped audience, just waiting to be unlocked. There was just a tiny flaw in the plan.

It was bóllocks.

You see, when the so-called Dons played their first match in the town, some 20 years ago now, there were 2 types of people living in Milton Keynes:

a) Non-football fans
b) Football fans who already supported another club

This observation is obvious to anyone who follows football, but apparently not to the likes of Charles Koppel and Pete Winkleman. Naturally, converting non-football fans into regular, match-going supporters is very difficult, and converting fans of one club to another, nigh-on impossible. The only people actually capable of supporting a club like MK are therefore, by definition, freaks.

Unsurprising then, we regularly see 25,000 empty seats in MK’s fine, but tainted stadium. Here’s the thing though - it didn’t have to be this way.

It’s often forgotten that Milton Keynes already had a football club - Milton Keynes City FC. They were tiny, operating in the very lower reaches of non-league. It would have taken years to have brought that club to the football league; time that could be saved by harvesting the organs of Wimbledon.

But in doing so, they created a brand too toxic to touch. They created something almost impossible to rally behind. They have become the pantomime villain, and legitimately so. Ironically, it took AFC Wimbledon, with only fan powered resources, just 8 seasons to return to the football league, by which point MK Dons were only a league above them. As of right now of course they find themselves in League Two, separated from Wimbledon by just 10 points. For all their trials and tribulations, they have failed to make meaningful progress.

Had they played the long game, rather than taking the sleazy shortcut, then maybe, just maybe, they might have created a story its community could have been proud of and, in time, grown a healthy five-figure fan base. A fan base perhaps that could have seen them sustain Championship football and, then, who knows what beyond that? And no one would have begrudged them their success.

But they didn’t, and so in the world we actually live in, they are back where they started, little more than a small club rattling round in a big stadium, yo-yo-ing between league’s One and Two. At least for as long as the mouth breathers that follow them continue to turn up, and things aren’t looking to clever there as it happens.

This season will be comfortably their lowest average attendance since moving to Stadium:MK. To be even clearer, this season’s average is down 25% on their next lowest average. The project has failed. It’s fúcked.

Ultimately, it had to fail. No supporter in this country wants “franchise football”, and a successful MK Dons would have set a dangerous precedent. The only ones to blame are the bell ends behind this most moronic of experiments, and the mindless chumps that turn up to watch them.

Look, I reckon I could have a pint with a regular, match-going fan of just about any club in this country, be it Man City, Man United, Mansfield, or even fúcking Scunny, and find loads in common with them. But not MK Dons; I just don’t understand the mindset. I don’t understand how you could back something like that, either as a football fan or just a human being in general.

To borrow (tenuously) from the thread title; tossers, the lot of them.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 37
jamesgtfc
March 7, 2024, 10:47pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +12,959
Gold Stars: 190
You got me thinking, Poojah.

I've just briefly looked into Milton Keynes City FC, which is a third incarnation club. The second incarnation folded in 2003 when Wimbledon relocated, and the third incarnation was established in 2005. Basically, there was already a vulnerable club with Milton Keynes in the name that could have been a success story like you said.

Obviously, the higher up the pyramid you are, the higher your income streams but I wonder what Winkleman and anyone else has actually put in over the last 21 years. They wouldn't have had the kind of numbers AFC Wimbledon had through the turnstiles at Kingstonian in the early days but it would have been a much more sustainable story for sure. I think Milton Keynes City were in the 11th tier around the time AFC Wimbledon began their first season in the 9th tier in 2002.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 37
Mappers
March 7, 2024, 10:50pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 5.43
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +4,318
Gold Stars: 117
Quoted from Poojah

I’d suggest they deserve to experience having their beloved so-called football club taken away from them for a start. The very concept of MK Dons is morally bankrupt, and I won’t be satisfied until they are financially so.

Do I really need to explain the “why”? Do you know what, fúck it, you’ve triggered me (‘cos I really don’t like the cúnts), so I’ll give you an answer. Big deep breath…

Let me start by giving some credit where it’s due; the whole Wimbledon to Milton Keynes strategy actually made complete sense. On a spreadsheet. With a population of over 250,000, MK was one of the largest urban areas in the UK without a league club, in part due to the fact it was a new town founded in the 1970s. Better yet, it was probably the largest urban area in the UK nowhere near a so-called “big club”. MK is some 70 miles from Villa Park, and over an hour on a train to central London. A massive, untapped audience, just waiting to be unlocked. There was just a tiny flaw in the plan.

It was bóllocks.

You see, when the so-called Dons played their first match in the town, some 20 years ago now, there were 2 types of people living in Milton Keynes:

a) Non-football fans

This observation is obvious to anyone who follows football, but apparently not to the likes of Charles Koppel and Pete Winkleman. Naturally, converting non-football fans into regular, match-going supporters is very difficult, and converting fans of one club to another, nigh-on impossible. The only people actually capable of supporting a club like MK are therefore, by definition, freaks.

Unsurprising then, we regularly see 25,000 empty seats in MK’s fine, but tainted stadium. Here’s the thing though - it didn’t have to be this way.

It’s often forgotten that Milton Keynes already had a football club - Milton Keynes City FC. They were tiny, operating in the very lower reaches of non-league. It would have taken years to have brought that club to the football league; time that could be saved by harvesting the organs of Wimbledon.

But in doing so, they created a brand too toxic to touch. They created something almost impossible to rally behind. They have become the pantomime villain, and legitimately so. Ironically, it took AFC Wimbledon, with only fan powered resources, just 8 seasons to return to the football league, by which point MK Dons were only a league above them. As of right now of course they find themselves in League Two, separated from Wimbledon by just 10 points. For all their trials and tribulations, they have failed to make meaningful progress.

Had they played the long game, rather than taking the sleazy shortcut, then maybe, just maybe, they might have created a story its community could have been proud of and, in time, grown a healthy five-figure fan base. A fan base perhaps that could have seen them sustain Championship football and, then, who knows what beyond that? And no one would have begrudged them their success.

But they didn’t, and so in the world we actually live in, they are back where they started, little more than a small club rattling round in a big stadium, yo-yo-ing between league’s One and Two. At least for as long as the mouth breathers that follow them continue to turn up, and things aren’t looking to clever there as it happens.

This season will be comfortably their lowest average attendance since moving to Stadium:MK. To be even clearer, this season’s average is down 25% on their next lowest average. The project has failed. It’s fúcked.

Ultimately, it had to fail. No supporter in this country wants “franchise football”, and a successful MK Dons would have set a dangerous precedent. The only ones to blame are the bell ends behind this most moronic of experiments, and mindless chumps that turn up to watch them.

Look, I reckon I could have a pint with a regular, match-going fan of just about any club in this country, be it Man City, Man United, Mansfield, even fúcking Scunny, and find loads in common with them. But not MK Dons; I just don’t understand the mindset. I don’t understand how you could back something like that, either as a football fan or just a human being in general.

The only reason their crowds held up well was because they offered 7k tickets to Ipswich , Sheff Wed , Portsmouth etc and they obliged - there were games last season when there were more away fans than home at stadium MK - the place is crap full stop though , I couldn't even find a kebab or decent pub in the town after we played there - it was like a gridded ghost town .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 37
tashee69
March 8, 2024, 12:54am

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.32
Rep Score: +28 / -4
Approval: +955
Gold Stars: 23
Quoted from Poojah

Look, I reckon I could have a pint with a regular, match-going fan of just about any club in this country, be it Man City, Man United, Mansfield, or even fúcking Scunny, and find loads in common with them. But not MK Dons; I just don’t understand the mindset. I don’t understand how you could back something like that, either as a football fan or just a human being in general.

I cannot stand MK Dons, thing is, they were formed 20 years ago now. A whole generation has been brought up with this being their local team. I can understand you disliking the older fans but what have the younger fans done to urine you off, other than supporting their local club

Baldrick ! The only impression you can do is that of a man with no talent !!
GTFC team 09/10 - Baldrick, Baldrick, Baldrick, Baldrick, Baldrick, Baldrick, Baldrick, Baldrick, Baldrick, Baldrick, Baldrick.
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 37
toontown
March 8, 2024, 6:33am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +6,279
Gold Stars: 70
Quoted from Poojah

It was bóllocks.

a) Non-football fans

Ultimately, it had to fail. No supporter in this country wants “franchise football”, and a successful MK Dons would have set a dangerous precedent. The only ones to blame are the bell ends behind this most moronic of experiments, and the mindless chumps that turn up to watch them.

Aye, well said poojah, they can fook right off.

The original plan was to buy Wimbledon and move it to Dublin (population 1 million+) by the way, MK was just a plan B when even the FA/EFL wouldn't allow an English club to be stolen and moved to a foreign country and continue to play in the English League.

Not sure if this was only after he bought Wimbledon, can't be arsed to look, but presumably. So not only are those fans not wanted by other clubs, they weren't even wanted by winkelman himself! He just had wanted them more than he wanted proper Wimbledon fans, who he didn't want at all.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 37
lukeo
March 8, 2024, 7:02am
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 2.07
Rep Score: +38 / -23
Approval: +2,372
Gold Stars: 148
Quoted from Poojah

It was bóllocks.

a) Non-football fans

It's funny isn't it, I literally hate MK dons and I have no attachment to Wimbledon at all.

If I had a choice out of scunny and MK to get relegated and dissappear it'd be MK. 100%. Not even a thought would go 'actually no Scunthorpe.'
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 37
forza ivano
March 8, 2024, 9:02am

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.46
Rep Score: +72 / -20
Approval: +15,178
Gold Stars: 265
Quoted from Poojah

It was bóllocks.

a) Non-football fans

Well said Poojah 👏👏👏👏
They could have also backed Wolverton FC or Stony Stratford Town if they'd wanted to bring through a non league team.

I only live 15 miles from the stadium, but have never visited it and never will..I don't go n watch Town there, and I wont even run the MK half because it finishes in the stadium

Never forgive, never forget.
I hate to say it but we have a cabal of bfS fans in my local, several of whom I've known for many years. I have to keep things very light in order to avoid disputes!
And to make things even worse , Winkelmans daughter and her husband, a director, are also regular visitors!  ( they're actually nice people).

My hatred will end once theyve been relegated into non league, which I hope I will see in my lifetime
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 37
TAGG
March 8, 2024, 9:04am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.93
Rep Score: +26 / -27
Approval: +2,970
Gold Stars: 124
FFS get over it.
It sounds like a remoana thread

In his three stints as Grimsby Town manager spanning over 10 years the club was never relegated and he also guided them to three promotions.
Only 14 managers have reached 1,000 matches in charge of a Football League team by 1998 and Buckley is one of them.
GOD
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 37
diehardmariner
March 8, 2024, 9:43am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,614
Gold Stars: 538
Tweet 1763903828842164656 will appear here...

Y'know I'm generally against everything MK Dons stand for.  The whole thing is just scummy.  It's well pointed out how the money put into MK Dons could have organically gone into the 'natural' clubs in that area.  I suspect had MK City reached these levels they would be viewed with the same disdain that Salford, FGR, to an extent Fleetwood all get.  But rather be labelled as a vanity project than what they are.  Equally so with a growing population of a quarter of a million upwards you would think that tapping into those early generations would quite easily lead to a bit of an organic growth that no vanity project has yet achieved.

I also remember going to watch Town v Wimbledon at Selhurst Park in the last season before the move occurred, 02/03.  The home game saw more journalists in the away end than actual fans, such was the level of the protest.  Whilst my views on the situation were already rooted in my mind, the physical accosting of Town fans trying to get in the game by protesting Wimbledon fans would have easily swayed me.  Older and potentially (but probably not) wiser, I would just boycott the game now.  But I was late teens/early 20's and just wanted to watch my club. Regardless, I put it down and still do to emotion.  I think I would be more than upset at the prospect of having my club ripped away from the community.  

The thing that really irritates me about Pell booting balls into the stand is more from a personal stance than anything.  Fair few years ago I was doing some work with an organisation in Milton Keynes that provided services to people with learning disabilities, within this organisation they also had an employability scheme to help people into the working environment.  There was one lad on the working group who had Down's syndrome, Stephen.  He immediately clocked the GTFC keyring I had at the time and within seconds he told me how rubbish Grimsby were.  Obviously I've no counter-argument to this so came back with the usual "well, someone's got to support them!", then asked who he followed.  His response was the longest list of clubs from every country in the world.  "Spurs, Real Madrid, PSG, Juve...." and couldn't wait to show me pictures of his phone of him sporting the colours of all these clubs.  And then he came out with "And of course...MK!", to which he unzipped his top to show me the home shirt of MK Dons and arched at an impossible angle to show me Agard 14 on the back of his shirt.  Turning round again to show me the biggest smile I've ever seen.

His support worker told me later during the day that the amount of community work that MK Dons do (or did, I don't know if it's still the case) was unbelievable with all the players and staff so engaged in everything that happens locally.  That's how it should be but it sort of took me aback that they're not completely this snarling monster.

Anyway, Stephen sadly passed away a few years later but for me it's not Pell firing the balls into the away end as a protest at the clubs existence.  It's more the fact that those balls could have hit Stephen.
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 37
ska face
March 8, 2024, 9:58am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -14
Approval: +21,662
Gold Stars: 847
Exactly. Don’t want to come across like one of the Mary Whitehouse brigade, and ignoring all the MK-meta analysis, if that ball hits a kid or some old codger it could do some proper damage. The bloke’s obviously just a div.
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 37
Abdul19
March 8, 2024, 10:07am

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.41
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,565
Gold Stars: 216
Indeed. He's not doing it because he's a principled man of the people, but because he sees himself as some sort of epic banter king.

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 37
Hagrid
March 8, 2024, 10:09am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.80
Rep Score: +49 / -21
Approval: +20,409
Gold Stars: 534
Quoted from diehardmariner
Tweet 1763903828842164656 will appear here...

Y'know I'm generally against everything MK Dons stand for.  The whole thing is just scummy.  It's well pointed out how the money put into MK Dons could have organically gone into the 'natural' clubs in that area.  I suspect had MK City reached these levels they would be viewed with the same disdain that Salford, FGR, to an extent Fleetwood all get.  But rather be labelled as a vanity project than what they are.  Equally so with a growing population of a quarter of a million upwards you would think that tapping into those early generations would quite easily lead to a bit of an organic growth that no vanity project has yet achieved.

I also remember going to watch Town v Wimbledon at Selhurst Park in the last season before the move occurred, 02/03.  The home game saw more journalists in the away end than actual fans, such was the level of the protest.  Whilst my views on the situation were already rooted in my mind, the physical accosting of Town fans trying to get in the game by protesting Wimbledon fans would have easily swayed me.  Older and potentially (but probably not) wiser, I would just boycott the game now.  But I was late teens/early 20's and just wanted to watch my club. Regardless, I put it down and still do to emotion.  I think I would be more than upset at the prospect of having my club ripped away from the community.  

The thing that really irritates me about Pell booting balls into the stand is more from a personal stance than anything.  Fair few years ago I was doing some work with an organisation in Milton Keynes that provided services to people with learning disabilities, within this organisation they also had an employability scheme to help people into the working environment.  There was one lad on the working group who had Down's syndrome, Stephen.  He immediately clocked the GTFC keyring I had at the time and within seconds he told me how rubbish Grimsby were.  Obviously I've no counter-argument to this so came back with the usual "well, someone's got to support them!", then asked who he followed.  His response was the longest list of clubs from every country in the world.  "Spurs, Real Madrid, PSG, Juve...." and couldn't wait to show me pictures of his phone of him sporting the colours of all these clubs.  And then he came out with "And of course...MK!", to which he unzipped his top to show me the home shirt of MK Dons and arched at an impossible angle to show me Agard 14 on the back of his shirt.  Turning round again to show me the biggest smile I've ever seen.

His support worker told me later during the day that the amount of community work that MK Dons do (or did, I don't know if it's still the case) was unbelievable with all the players and staff so engaged in everything that happens locally.  That's how it should be but it sort of took me aback that they're not completely this snarling monster.

Anyway, Stephen sadly passed away a few years later but for me it's not Pell firing the balls into the away end as a protest at the clubs existence.  It's more the fact that those balls could have hit Stephen.

What a lovely post- My brother has downs, big town fan, football is a joy to him
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 37
Phil the cod
March 8, 2024, 12:25pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.31
Rep Score: +5 / -5
Approval: -332
Gold Stars: 61
Quoted from Poojah

It was bóllocks.

a) Non-football fans

Classic rant...............but can't disagree with any of it.
Mk Dons fans are vile filth who represent everything wrong with modern day football.
Any genuine fan who can't see this needs to reavalute why they follow a team.
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 37
GYinScuntland
March 8, 2024, 12:47pm

Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.49
Rep Score: +21 / -6
Approval: +3,238
Gold Stars: 97
An ex moved from Lincoln to Milton Keynes and despite the distance we decided to carry on our relationship.
I spent two weeks there one day and unfortunately that was enough.
Drab concrete grid, no pubs, nothing.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 37
mariner91
March 8, 2024, 3:20pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,651
Gold Stars: 261
Quoted from Hagrid

What a lovely post- My brother has downs, big town fan, football is a joy to him

Three doors down from mine is Rob who is my age and has Downs so lives with his mum. Football is his life. He gets involved at our local club where he helps the groundsman and puts the flags out. He's also a huge Lincoln fan as we're in Woodhall and it makes his day if he's on his drive and he can rush to the end of the drive as I walk past to tell me Grimsby lost at the weekend. Which he's got to do quite a lot this last year! He's a good lad.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 37
bawarmy
March 8, 2024, 3:59pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.25
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +2,009
Gold Stars: 33
Two bit loser of a football that gets too much air time considering his ability. Nonce-sense
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 37
thornemariner
March 8, 2024, 4:00pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.12
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +655
Gold Stars: 22
I admire the stance of When Saturday Comes. When doing the season reviews, the only club they don't speak to is BFS.

I was based in South London at the time AFC Wimbledon came into being and I'm glad they got themselves back into the EFL.

I have a real library of football books and several deal with defunct clubs. It was clear that the populace of Milton Keynes couldn't be bothered to support a local side from the histories I read.
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 37
Brazilnut
March 8, 2024, 6:10pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.27
Rep Score: +17 / -8
Approval: +978
Gold Stars: 30
Can anyone remember  Champagne Womble who use to come on the old fishy .....he seemed an alright bloke and talked a lot of sense

<*(((><

Town have given me some of my highest highs and my lowest lows ........ God it is like a marriage
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 37
GrimPol
March 8, 2024, 6:55pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.60
Rep Score: +3 / -7
Approval: -670
Gold Stars: 69
Quoted from Poojah

It was bóllocks.
Well Po

a) Non-football fans

Well Poojah, some weeks ago you lectured me and others about B Corp spreading Kindness and Inclusion and Equity. Very cuddly.
Seems there's a ring around Milton Keynes whose inhabitants can perish and burn hell as far as you are concerned.  Ah well.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 37
toontown
March 8, 2024, 7:22pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +6,279
Gold Stars: 70
Quoted from GrimPol

Well Poojah, some weeks ago you lectured me and others about B Corp spreading Kindness and Inclusion and Equity. Very cuddly.
Seems there's a ring around Milton Keynes whose inhabitants can perish and burn hell as far as you are concerned.  Ah well.

No, only around MK stadium, but yeah they can
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 37
TAGG
March 8, 2024, 7:34pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.93
Rep Score: +26 / -27
Approval: +2,970
Gold Stars: 124
I

In his three stints as Grimsby Town manager spanning over 10 years the club was never relegated and he also guided them to three promotions.
Only 14 managers have reached 1,000 matches in charge of a Football League team by 1998 and Buckley is one of them.
GOD
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 37
HatTrickHero
March 8, 2024, 8:35pm

Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.14
Rep Score: +2 / 0
Approval: +778
Gold Stars: 25
This isn't Pell being anti-Franchise FC though, it's just Pell being a nob and unpleasant to someone, anyone who will get irritated by him. One day he'll move on from Wimbledon and end up playing them and being a nob towards them, because it's what he does.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 37
Poojah
March 8, 2024, 9:13pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from GrimPol

You’ve highlighted two instances where I’ve called people out for what I consider to be a lack of moral decency and emotional intelligence. I’m not sure where you think the contradiction is.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 37
WesternMariner
March 8, 2024, 9:58pm

Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.08
Rep Score: +6 / -1
Approval: +920
Gold Stars: 38
Quoted from Phil the cod

Classic rant...............but can't disagree with any of it.
Mk Dons fans are vile filth who represent everything wrong with modern day football.
Any genuine fan who can't see this needs to reavalute why they follow a team.

Except possibly Stephen the lad referred to in DieHard’s post above?

All men are equal before fish.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 37
GrimPol
March 9, 2024, 8:09am
Fine Wine Drinker
Quoted from Poojah

You’ve highlighted two instances where I’ve called people out for what I consider to be a lack of moral decency and emotional intelligence. I’m not sure where you think the contradiction is.

MK Dons started up 20 years ago, anybody under 38 is "innocent" if indeed following MK Dons is such a heinous crime. Taking the rip about them is one thing, and why not? Your rant (it is a rant you know) is quite another thing, as "moral decency" cuts both ways. Your piece reveals more about you, I'm afraid than about MK Don fans.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 37
kafunanapar140909
March 9, 2024, 11:01am

Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.12
Rep Score: +4 / 0
Approval: +575
Gold Stars: 50
Unambiguously labelling a whole fanbase “vile filth” or “hating” a whole fanbase is utter nonsense. I sincerely doubt that anyone would say they “hate” the lad in DieHard’s excellent post, for example. It’s just lazy labelling and is exactly the kind of thing why football fans, generally, are given a hard time. It feeds into that stupid stereotype that we’re all highly partisan and incapable of seeing anything beyond a simplistic good/bad binary.

The Wimbledon/MK Dons saga is really interesting, but people seem to have boiled it down to Winkelman coming along and buying the original club, deciding there was a better opportunity for a larger fanbase in MK and moving the club there, like some evil overlord. People were wetting themselves over “franchise football”, which has never transpired. It was a weird, one-off instance which will probably never happen again.

Like it or not, MK Dons now have more FL history behind them than the original Wimbledon did when they reached the top tier. What I find funny, and completely hypocritical, is that Wimbledon has absolutely no claim to be a “traditional” footballing club/community. The original team was amateur until the mid-60s, and only got into the FL in 1977 after being bankrolled. They were essentially an early Fleetwood/Salford/Crawley – the kind of club people love to moan about in the present day. They obviously had amazing success, but ultimately their size caught up with them.

FWIW, my own opinion is that the original Wimbledon was as good as dead. Millions in debt, no stadium, not played in their own town for over a decade, a local populace which wasn’t even particularly engaged with the club (one report showed that only 340 season ticket holders lived in Wimbledon!)… if they hadn’t moved to MK then the club would have been liquidated and AFC formed anyway. In fact, it could be argued that the move to MK has done more to help the new AFC than if the original club was just left to die. Had it just disappeared it would have just been another club overexerting and then liquidating itself, but with MK in the picture there’s always been that sense of injustice which seems to have driven the club.

The one thing which was totally wrong, imo, was MK trying to “own” Wimbledon’s (limited) history. They have at least backtracked on that and now make no claim to have existed pre-2004. As a few have nodded to, the club’s been around 20 years now. There are younger generations of fans for whom this is their local club, it generally tries to produce local players, has dished up mostly League 1/League 2 football and, as we have seen, does a lot of good in the community through its charitable arms. Maybe we could just… not let some football club in Milton Keynes bother us so much?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 37
WOZOFGRIMSBY
March 9, 2024, 11:53am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.74
Rep Score: +66 / -22
Approval: +8,824
Gold Stars: 178
It’s not the actual fans that I see as the problem necessarily. But more so the way that they ‘evolved’. The ready made stadium that was there I would say was more than adequate, but they then got mega bucks from, I seem to recall, Asda and ikea. I was working at the Nando’s there training staff when they were formed in the mid 2000’s and there was a lot of genuine excitement by some locals of having their own football team. Which I suppose is great as it takes money away from the Tottenham and arsenals that they probably would have supported.

My disgust is essentially with the fa (for allowing it) and the owners for wanting to replace the club. They should’ve started at grass roots as they were essentially a new club and pick up at the level where Wimbledon did and had to climb through the leagues as teams like aldershot, Maidstone and  dorking have had to do.

Rose is on fire

And your scotch eggs are fu(king vile
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 37
GrimPol
March 11, 2024, 10:30am
Fine Wine Drinker
Quoted from WOZOFGRIMSBY
It’s not the actual fans that I see as the problem necessarily. But more so the way that they ‘evolved’. The ready made stadium that was there I would say was more than adequate, but they then got mega bucks from, I seem to recall, Asda and ikea. I was working at the Nando’s there training staff when they were formed in the mid 2000’s and there was a lot of genuine excitement by some locals of having their own football team. Which I suppose is great as it takes money away from the Tottenham and arsenals that they probably would have supported.

My disgust is essentially with the fa (for allowing it) and the owners for wanting to replace the club. They should’ve started at grass roots as they were essentially a new club and pick up at the level where Wimbledon did and had to climb through the leagues as teams like aldershot, Maidstone and  dorking have had to do.

The FA and the League were initially against the move but two scenarios played out at the same time. Wimbledon needed to upgrade their stadium, so decided to sell their sell Plough Lane and groundshare with Crystal Palace whilst looking for a place to build a stadium. It proved difficult to find anywhere to build. At one stage even the government got into the picture and wanted Wimbledon to move to Belfast as Belfast Utd.
In the meantime, In Milton Keynes, a certain Pete Winkleman proposed a retail park and Football Stadium in one package, then went around Luton Crystal Palace QPR Barnet and Wimbledon touting its stadium.
In the end the FA and League set up a committee of 3 to make a decision about Wimbledon moving and whilst adjudicating, Wimbledon went bust. The committee voted 2 :1 for a move, money was injected into the MK Dons and the rest is history. Classic case a too hot to handle hot potato, dumped onto some sub-committee which then is disbanded job done.
BTW AFC Wimbledon built a new stadium not 400 yds away from the old stadium and seems to have a bright future. Average gates this season MK Dons 5100, AFC Wimbledon 7100
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 37
White_shorts
March 27, 2024, 4:27pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.17
Rep Score: +1 / -4
Approval: -647
Gold Stars: 12
Quoted from Poojah

Don’t like Harry Pell, but I’m with him on this one. Fúck ‘em.

I didn't realise you were so deeply unpleasant.  You're as bad as Aldi.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 37
White_shorts
March 27, 2024, 4:33pm
Lager Top Drinker
Quoted from tashee69
I cannot stand MK Dons, thing is, they were formed 20 years ago now. A whole generation has been brought up with this being their local team. I can understand you disliking the older fans but what have the younger fans done to urine you off, other than supporting their local club?

No answer yet from Poojah.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 37
White_shorts
March 27, 2024, 4:37pm
Lager Top Drinker
Quoted from kafunanapar140909
Unambiguously labelling a whole fanbase “vile filth” or “hating” a whole fanbase is utter nonsense. I sincerely doubt that anyone would say they “hate” the lad in DieHard’s excellent post, for example. It’s just lazy labelling and is exactly the kind of thing why football fans, generally, are given a hard time. It feeds into that stupid stereotype that we’re all highly partisan and incapable of seeing anything beyond a simplistic good/bad binary.

The Wimbledon/MK Dons saga is really interesting, but people seem to have boiled it down to Winkelman coming along and buying the original club, deciding there was a better opportunity for a larger fanbase in MK and moving the club there, like some evil overlord. People were wetting themselves over “franchise football”, which has never transpired. It was a weird, one-off instance which will probably never happen again.

Like it or not, MK Dons now have more FL history behind them than the original Wimbledon did when they reached the top tier. What I find funny, and completely hypocritical, is that Wimbledon has absolutely no claim to be a “traditional” footballing club/community. The original team was amateur until the mid-60s, and only got into the FL in 1977 after being bankrolled. They were essentially an early Fleetwood/Salford/Crawley – the kind of club people love to moan about in the present day. They obviously had amazing success, but ultimately their size caught up with them.

FWIW, my own opinion is that the original Wimbledon was as good as dead. Millions in debt, no stadium, not played in their own town for over a decade, a local populace which wasn’t even particularly engaged with the club (one report showed that only 340 season ticket holders lived in Wimbledon!)… if they hadn’t moved to MK then the club would have been liquidated and AFC formed anyway. In fact, it could be argued that the move to MK has done more to help the new AFC than if the original club was just left to die. Had it just disappeared it would have just been another club overexerting and then liquidating itself, but with MK in the picture there’s always been that sense of injustice which seems to have driven the club.

The one thing which was totally wrong, imo, was MK trying to “own” Wimbledon’s (limited) history. They have at least backtracked on that and now make no claim to have existed pre-2004. As a few have nodded to, the club’s been around 20 years now. There are younger generations of fans for whom this is their local club, it generally tries to produce local players, has dished up mostly League 1/League 2 football and, as we have seen, does a lot of good in the community through its charitable arms. Maybe we could just… not let some football club in Milton Keynes bother us so much?

I'd give that a platinum star if I could.  It's far too sensible and intelligent for the militants on this board.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 37
4 Pages 1 2 3 4 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Tosser!

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.