Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Tosser!
Moderators: Moderator
Users Browsing Forum

Tosser!

This thread currently has 6,014 views. Print
4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 All Recommend Thread
WesternMariner
March 8, 2024, 9:58pm

Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.08
Rep Score: +6 / -1
Approval: +935
Gold Stars: 38
Quoted from Phil the cod

Classic rant...............but can't disagree with any of it.
Mk Dons fans are vile filth who represent everything wrong with modern day football.
Any genuine fan who can't see this needs to reavalute why they follow a team.

Except possibly Stephen the lad referred to in DieHard’s post above?

All men are equal before fish.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 37
GrimPol
March 9, 2024, 8:09am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.60
Rep Score: +3 / -7
Approval: -678
Gold Stars: 69
Quoted from Poojah

You’ve highlighted two instances where I’ve called people out for what I consider to be a lack of moral decency and emotional intelligence. I’m not sure where you think the contradiction is.

MK Dons started up 20 years ago, anybody under 38 is "innocent" if indeed following MK Dons is such a heinous crime. Taking the rip about them is one thing, and why not? Your rant (it is a rant you know) is quite another thing, as "moral decency" cuts both ways. Your piece reveals more about you, I'm afraid than about MK Don fans.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 37
kafunanapar140909
March 9, 2024, 11:01am

Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.12
Rep Score: +4 / 0
Approval: +575
Gold Stars: 50
Unambiguously labelling a whole fanbase “vile filth” or “hating” a whole fanbase is utter nonsense. I sincerely doubt that anyone would say they “hate” the lad in DieHard’s excellent post, for example. It’s just lazy labelling and is exactly the kind of thing why football fans, generally, are given a hard time. It feeds into that stupid stereotype that we’re all highly partisan and incapable of seeing anything beyond a simplistic good/bad binary.

The Wimbledon/MK Dons saga is really interesting, but people seem to have boiled it down to Winkelman coming along and buying the original club, deciding there was a better opportunity for a larger fanbase in MK and moving the club there, like some evil overlord. People were wetting themselves over “franchise football”, which has never transpired. It was a weird, one-off instance which will probably never happen again.

Like it or not, MK Dons now have more FL history behind them than the original Wimbledon did when they reached the top tier. What I find funny, and completely hypocritical, is that Wimbledon has absolutely no claim to be a “traditional” footballing club/community. The original team was amateur until the mid-60s, and only got into the FL in 1977 after being bankrolled. They were essentially an early Fleetwood/Salford/Crawley – the kind of club people love to moan about in the present day. They obviously had amazing success, but ultimately their size caught up with them.

FWIW, my own opinion is that the original Wimbledon was as good as dead. Millions in debt, no stadium, not played in their own town for over a decade, a local populace which wasn’t even particularly engaged with the club (one report showed that only 340 season ticket holders lived in Wimbledon!)… if they hadn’t moved to MK then the club would have been liquidated and AFC formed anyway. In fact, it could be argued that the move to MK has done more to help the new AFC than if the original club was just left to die. Had it just disappeared it would have just been another club overexerting and then liquidating itself, but with MK in the picture there’s always been that sense of injustice which seems to have driven the club.

The one thing which was totally wrong, imo, was MK trying to “own” Wimbledon’s (limited) history. They have at least backtracked on that and now make no claim to have existed pre-2004. As a few have nodded to, the club’s been around 20 years now. There are younger generations of fans for whom this is their local club, it generally tries to produce local players, has dished up mostly League 1/League 2 football and, as we have seen, does a lot of good in the community through its charitable arms. Maybe we could just… not let some football club in Milton Keynes bother us so much?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 37
WOZOFGRIMSBY
March 9, 2024, 11:53am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.74
Rep Score: +66 / -22
Approval: +8,839
Gold Stars: 178
It’s not the actual fans that I see as the problem necessarily. But more so the way that they ‘evolved’. The ready made stadium that was there I would say was more than adequate, but they then got mega bucks from, I seem to recall, Asda and ikea. I was working at the Nando’s there training staff when they were formed in the mid 2000’s and there was a lot of genuine excitement by some locals of having their own football team. Which I suppose is great as it takes money away from the Tottenham and arsenals that they probably would have supported.

My disgust is essentially with the fa (for allowing it) and the owners for wanting to replace the club. They should’ve started at grass roots as they were essentially a new club and pick up at the level where Wimbledon did and had to climb through the leagues as teams like aldershot, Maidstone and  dorking have had to do.

Rose is on fire

And your scotch eggs are fu(king vile
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 37
GrimPol
March 11, 2024, 10:30am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.60
Rep Score: +3 / -7
Approval: -678
Gold Stars: 69
Quoted from WOZOFGRIMSBY
It’s not the actual fans that I see as the problem necessarily. But more so the way that they ‘evolved’. The ready made stadium that was there I would say was more than adequate, but they then got mega bucks from, I seem to recall, Asda and ikea. I was working at the Nando’s there training staff when they were formed in the mid 2000’s and there was a lot of genuine excitement by some locals of having their own football team. Which I suppose is great as it takes money away from the Tottenham and arsenals that they probably would have supported.

My disgust is essentially with the fa (for allowing it) and the owners for wanting to replace the club. They should’ve started at grass roots as they were essentially a new club and pick up at the level where Wimbledon did and had to climb through the leagues as teams like aldershot, Maidstone and  dorking have had to do.

The FA and the League were initially against the move but two scenarios played out at the same time. Wimbledon needed to upgrade their stadium, so decided to sell their sell Plough Lane and groundshare with Crystal Palace whilst looking for a place to build a stadium. It proved difficult to find anywhere to build. At one stage even the government got into the picture and wanted Wimbledon to move to Belfast as Belfast Utd.
In the meantime, In Milton Keynes, a certain Pete Winkleman proposed a retail park and Football Stadium in one package, then went around Luton Crystal Palace QPR Barnet and Wimbledon touting its stadium.
In the end the FA and League set up a committee of 3 to make a decision about Wimbledon moving and whilst adjudicating, Wimbledon went bust. The committee voted 2 :1 for a move, money was injected into the MK Dons and the rest is history. Classic case a too hot to handle hot potato, dumped onto some sub-committee which then is disbanded job done.
BTW AFC Wimbledon built a new stadium not 400 yds away from the old stadium and seems to have a bright future. Average gates this season MK Dons 5100, AFC Wimbledon 7100
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 37
White_shorts
March 27, 2024, 4:27pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.16
Rep Score: +1 / -4
Approval: -647
Gold Stars: 12
Quoted from Poojah
It’s MK Dons fans. They deserve a lot worse than a ball in the face.

Don’t like Harry Pell, but I’m with him on this one. Fúck ‘em.

I didn't realise you were so deeply unpleasant.  You're as bad as Aldi.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 37
White_shorts
March 27, 2024, 4:33pm
Lager Top Drinker
Quoted from tashee69
I cannot stand MK Dons, thing is, they were formed 20 years ago now. A whole generation has been brought up with this being their local team. I can understand you disliking the older fans but what have the younger fans done to urine you off, other than supporting their local club?

No answer yet from Poojah.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 37
White_shorts
March 27, 2024, 4:37pm
Lager Top Drinker
Quoted from kafunanapar140909
Unambiguously labelling a whole fanbase “vile filth” or “hating” a whole fanbase is utter nonsense. I sincerely doubt that anyone would say they “hate” the lad in DieHard’s excellent post, for example. It’s just lazy labelling and is exactly the kind of thing why football fans, generally, are given a hard time. It feeds into that stupid stereotype that we’re all highly partisan and incapable of seeing anything beyond a simplistic good/bad binary.

The Wimbledon/MK Dons saga is really interesting, but people seem to have boiled it down to Winkelman coming along and buying the original club, deciding there was a better opportunity for a larger fanbase in MK and moving the club there, like some evil overlord. People were wetting themselves over “franchise football”, which has never transpired. It was a weird, one-off instance which will probably never happen again.

Like it or not, MK Dons now have more FL history behind them than the original Wimbledon did when they reached the top tier. What I find funny, and completely hypocritical, is that Wimbledon has absolutely no claim to be a “traditional” footballing club/community. The original team was amateur until the mid-60s, and only got into the FL in 1977 after being bankrolled. They were essentially an early Fleetwood/Salford/Crawley – the kind of club people love to moan about in the present day. They obviously had amazing success, but ultimately their size caught up with them.

FWIW, my own opinion is that the original Wimbledon was as good as dead. Millions in debt, no stadium, not played in their own town for over a decade, a local populace which wasn’t even particularly engaged with the club (one report showed that only 340 season ticket holders lived in Wimbledon!)… if they hadn’t moved to MK then the club would have been liquidated and AFC formed anyway. In fact, it could be argued that the move to MK has done more to help the new AFC than if the original club was just left to die. Had it just disappeared it would have just been another club overexerting and then liquidating itself, but with MK in the picture there’s always been that sense of injustice which seems to have driven the club.

The one thing which was totally wrong, imo, was MK trying to “own” Wimbledon’s (limited) history. They have at least backtracked on that and now make no claim to have existed pre-2004. As a few have nodded to, the club’s been around 20 years now. There are younger generations of fans for whom this is their local club, it generally tries to produce local players, has dished up mostly League 1/League 2 football and, as we have seen, does a lot of good in the community through its charitable arms. Maybe we could just… not let some football club in Milton Keynes bother us so much?

I'd give that a platinum star if I could.  It's far too sensible and intelligent for the militants on this board.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 37
4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Tosser!

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.