4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 All Recommend Thread
louth_in_the_south
February 21, 2024, 9:49am

Exile
Posts Per Day: 0.69
Rep Score: +25 / -12
Approval: +5,693
Gold Stars: 96
I don’t know what fans you are referring to , but I wasn’t confident of our chances looking at our signings. Apart from rose and conteh they looked very average. Not good enough as a group to get anywhere near the playoffs. I actually questioned whether hurst had been properly backed considering the increase in funds by fan’s numbers and cup run . I imagine he was looking for more ££££ personally.

Lower F5
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 35
MarinerWY
February 21, 2024, 10:15am

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.18
Rep Score: +11 / -5
Approval: +1,988
Gold Stars: 47
Quoted from louth_in_the_south
I don’t know what fans you are referring to , but I wasn’t confident of our chances looking at our signings. Apart from rose and conteh they looked very average. Not good enough as a group to get anywhere near the playoffs. I actually questioned whether hurst had been properly backed considering the increase in funds by fan’s numbers and cup run . I imagine he was looking for more ££££ personally.

Fair enough.

I think pre-season signings in particular, there seemed to be a fair bit of positivity. Both on here, and on Humberside phone ins etc. - in fact it even got referenced in the post-match discussions this Saturday that there'd been positivity around recruitment but it hadn't translated onto the playing field.

Dispiritingly, if I remember rightly a huge chunk of the cup run money went into ground improvements that came out of a survey which needed doing. The main stand figure alone was huge.

Conteh we allegedly outbid other interested clubs. It certainly felt to me like we had invested strongly within our means.

I just think some fans have unrealistic expectations and understanding of how much money League 2 owners might actually have. Yes, they are wealthy compared to 99% of us (and their wealth isn't always disposable, lots will be tied up in assets). But football clubs are money-drains, and they may be millionaires, but they aren't billionaires and can't just keep throwing money at the club. Unless we want to be searching for new chairmen in a years' time that is.
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 35
Zmariner
February 21, 2024, 10:24am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.17
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +2,130
Gold Stars: 44
Quoted from chaos33
Looks to me like they’re giving him another game - probably because it’s away and they can be said to be giving DA every single ounce of a fair chance. It’s a calculated risk. One more defeat - and it will be a defeat - won’t relegate us and it might just turn. I don’t agree with it but I understand it. Behind the scenes they’ll be succession planning.

This is exactly how I see it. Artell in every interview
Refers to the fact that they the away form  is not so bad, I have a feeling he will need to prove that on Saturday and I really hope that he does. As for succession planning we will see , personally, I doubt that they will roll the dice again, and I would expect to see Pearson and Davies appointed.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 35
MuddyWaters
February 21, 2024, 10:25am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,262
Gold Stars: 236
Quoted from MarinerWY

Fair enough.

I think pre-season signings in particular, there seemed to be a fair bit of positivity. Both on here, and on Humberside phone ins etc. - in fact it even got referenced in the post-match discussions this Saturday that there'd been positivity around recruitment but it hadn't translated onto the playing field.

Dispiritingly, if I remember rightly a huge chunk of the cup run money went into ground improvements that came out of a survey which needed doing. The main stand figure alone was huge.

Conteh we allegedly outbid other interested clubs. It certainly felt to me like we had invested strongly within our means.

I just think some fans have unrealistic expectations and understanding of how much money League 2 owners might actually have. Yes, they are wealthy compared to 99% of us (and their wealth isn't always disposable, lots will be tied up in assets). But football clubs are money-drains, and they may be millionaires, but they aren't billionaires and can't just keep throwing money at the club. Unless we want to be searching for new chairmen in a years' time that is.

Couple of things - the Main Stand work that was done wasn't as big a job as it was supposed to be - the bulk of the work has been put back to this summer.

Regarding the owners, there was a lot of talk in the first twelve months about other investors - now that, along with other stuff has gone quiet. Seems that a lot has been said but the only thing that has really developed is the off field activity.
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 35
toontown
February 21, 2024, 1:31pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +6,280
Gold Stars: 70
Quoted from louth_in_the_south

The reception to the summer signings on here was generally positive, we paid fees for players, we signed players up early in pre season so you'd think they were mostly top choices. We signed players that Hurst had been chasing for several windows (Vernam, mullarkey). Hurst was as relaxed as I have ever seen him in pre season and seemed very content.

I recall one of the independent analysts of league 2 saying we were a bit of a dark horse, his main doubts about how many goals we could score, not that we would be letting in 5 and 6 a match.

I think we had a pre season poll on here a out finishing position, I remember putting just outside the playoffs down and I think, but may be wrong that that was the most popular choice. Certainly relegation battle wasn't.

Overall whilst you may have had doubts about the recruitment it wasn't reflected in any of the above. Seems like it just hasn't worked out at all to me, and then Artell has compounded the problem.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 35
toontown
February 21, 2024, 1:57pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +6,280
Gold Stars: 70
Quoted from toontown

The reception to the summer signings on here was generally positive, we paid fees for players, we signed players up early in pre season so you'd think they were mostly top choices. We signed players that Hurst had been chasing for several windows (Vernam, mullarkey). Hurst was as relaxed as I have ever seen him in pre season and seemed very content.

I recall one of the independent analysts of league 2 saying we were a bit of a dark horse, his main doubts about how many goals we could score, not that we would be letting in 5 and 6 a match.

I think we had a pre season poll on here a out finishing position, I remember putting just outside the playoffs down and I think, but may be wrong that that was the most popular choice. Certainly relegation battle wasn't.

Overall whilst you may have had doubts about the recruitment it wasn't reflected in any of the above. Seems like it just hasn't worked out at all to me, and then Artell has compounded the problem.

Oh, and we had the pre season warm weather training camp abroad that Hurst asked for - hardly smacks of penny pinching...
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 35
4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Next two games

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.