Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Could we? will we.maybe?..
Moderators: Moderator
Users Browsing Forum

Could we? will we.maybe?..

This thread currently has 2,746 views. Print
3 Pages Prev 1 2 3 All Recommend Thread
MuddyWaters
February 19, 2024, 8:03pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,255
Gold Stars: 236
Quoted from Lincoln Mariner 56
PH’s summer recruitment was not great but our transfer activity in January was absolutely abysmal and in reality there is not one of the players brought in that looks like an improvement on what we already had in place. Left back is ok but not sure he’s any better than Glennon and certainly his dead ball delivery is nowhere near as good.

Given the Recruitment Manager was also responsible for the initial sifting of managerial applicants I have serious concerns about his judgement!!

I think it’s less about the left back than the defensive ability of the player in front who very rarely tracks back.
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 25
GrimRob
February 19, 2024, 8:03pm

Posts Per Day: 2.12
Rep Score: +76 / -34
Approval: +13,410
Gold Stars: 113
Quoted from Lincoln Mariner 56
PH’s summer recruitment was not great but our transfer activity in January was absolutely abysmal and in reality there is not one of the players brought in that looks like an improvement on what we already had in place. Left back is ok but not sure he’s any better than Glennon and certainly his dead ball delivery is nowhere near as good.

Given the Recruitment Manager was also responsible for the initial sifting of managerial applicants I have serious concerns about his judgement!!

Is it really the Recruitment Managers fault? All he's doing is coming up with a long list which is whittled down. Everyone always says January is quite hard anyway. I doubt there was that many realistic options. In retrospect we should have waited until 50 points or the summer before making big changes.

'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.  
~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Offline
Site Private Message Skype
Reply: 21 - 25
Lincoln Mariner 56
February 19, 2024, 9:58pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +23 / -4
Approval: +7,696
Gold Stars: 79
Quoted from GrimRob

Is it really the Recruitment Managers fault? All he's doing is coming up with a long list which is whittled down. Everyone always says January is quite hard anyway. I doubt there was that many realistic options. In retrospect we should have waited until 50 points or the summer before making big changes.

By what we’ve seen so far I can then only assume he prepared a very long list and these guys were on page four.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 25
arryarryarry
February 19, 2024, 10:06pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.72
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,042
Gold Stars: 116
Quoted from GrimRob

If he comes up with the long list, one would assume those we signed were on it so you do have to ask how some of them even made the list.
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 25
Limerick Mariner
February 20, 2024, 12:09am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +10 / -3
Approval: +5,697
Gold Stars: 136
Quoted from grimsbybrown

I was gutted when Conteh left, my instinctive reaction was it could drop us into a relegation scrap because I felt the remainder of our central midfield (as we are seeing) isn't really league two competitive.  I understand the release clause was probably the only way we got him to put pen to paper, just a shame we couldn't restrict it to activating from summer 2024 onwards - having to replace a key player mid-year is a big ask.

I have a lot of sympathy for DA on that front, I think with Conteh in the building, it would have been a much steadier ride through to the summer at which point DA could overhaul the squad.  I guess there's a little less sympathy in that our other signings don't seem to have shored up the defence, maybe they'll come good - I sure hope so.

It looks like the Board are choosing to "stick" and I hope they are proven right -  but if DA does keep us up - without a major upturn, the current run will make it harder for him to convince other players to sign in the summer.   It's hard to be optimistic about much atm - I'd hoped these kinds of days had left with Fenty.  

The money we make from Conteh will be chicken feed compared to the cost of relegation. His departure worried me. He must have been desparate to get away. A Bristol Rovers side treading water mid table in League One is not a great move for his career. But maybe he and his agent saw the shitshow coming.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 25
Maringer
February 20, 2024, 7:37am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,534
Gold Stars: 185
Hopefully, both the full-backs brought in last month will come good. Both have a reasonable pedigree and you'd hope that they will improve. That said, the bigger issue at the moment is the dysfunctional midfield in front of them. That's the biggest area of concern at the moment. Thompson also has a good pedigree and should theoretically make a decent replacement for Conteh, but it's a problem if he's only going to be fit 50% of the time.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 25
3 Pages Prev 1 2 3 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Could we? will we.maybe?..

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.