Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Could we? will we.maybe?..
Moderators: Moderator
Users Browsing Forum

Could we? will we.maybe?..

This thread currently has 2,747 views. Print
3 Pages 1 2 3 Next All Recommend Thread
Northbank Mariner
February 18, 2024, 7:49pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.75
Rep Score: +9 / -9
Approval: +7,471
Gold Stars: 171
Just to get away from the Artell stuff for a while I got to thinking...
Could we do a Scunthorpe?(drop 3 levels)
Will we be the next Wrexham?(spend countless years in the cesspit of the NL)
Maybe we'll the next Stevenage?.(stave of relegation and get promoted next season)...
Logged Offline
Private Message
crusty ole pie
February 18, 2024, 7:52pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.54
Rep Score: +16 / -1
Approval: +3,349
Gold Stars: 66
Who knows but this is going to be one long week utmx
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 25
February 18, 2024, 7:53pm
Guest User

I doubt PH will want to do it a third time!
Reply: 2 - 25
crusty ole pie
February 18, 2024, 8:22pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.54
Rep Score: +16 / -1
Approval: +3,349
Gold Stars: 66
Quoted from 141325

Doubt it it’s scunnys turn next assuming that he will never darken Ipswich’s door again
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 25
IlkleyMariner
February 18, 2024, 8:24pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +12 / -1
Approval: +3,012
Gold Stars: 69
Can’t imagine PH return even if he was offered
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 25
promotion plaice
February 18, 2024, 8:26pm

Posts Per Day: 3.85
Rep Score: +20 / -13
Approval: +17,075
Gold Stars: 198

Never go back, look at Sheff Utd.

When Leeds trainer Les Cocker was once told Norman Hunter had broken a leg, he asked: “Whose is it?”
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 25
rancido
February 18, 2024, 8:28pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,572
Gold Stars: 96
Quoted from 141325

Why would we want him back ? We all seem too quick to forget that the squad he assembled last summer, coupled with his tactics he used this season , led to his demise and the need to bring in another manager. Now I'm not going into the outcome of DA's appointment but to be fair he inherited a limited squad, several of whom were underperforming according to the general consensus on this site. Nearly all the players released by DA in January were classed as " not good enough for our league level " by many posters on here. The replacements may or may not be good enough but they were mostly endorsed by the same posters who wanted new players in those positions. The Conteh situation is a tricky one given that he had a release clause in his contract and his departure was inevitable at some stage. It is a fairly recognised fact that the January transfer window is more of a " sticking plaster" situation as opposed to a major rebuild. Although DA is accountable for the players he brought in here cannot be held responsible for the players he inherited, especially if they were brought in for a plan or playing style in PH's head that obviously DA would not be privy to. Now, I'm not making excuses for DA's playing style or decisions but he had , and I add willingly, inherited players who don't fit into his mind-set or tactical ethos.
I honestly don't know where we go to from here. Sack DA , at some cost, and bring in a new manager who hopefully can get this disfunctional squad into grinding out enough results to ensure Football League status. Obviously if that manager can't then we still get relegated and have less cash to fund a major restructuring of playing staff to play non-league and hopefully bounce back almost straight away. We could sack DA and hope that SP and BD fill in to try to ensure League status and then see what to do in the summer as regards a permanent manager. The last choice is to stick with DA and hope that he can , over our last 15(?) league games, get enough points to ensure we stay up. Whatever decision is taken by the owners, I don't envy them .

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 25
Blundellite
February 18, 2024, 9:57pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.23
Rep Score: +1 / -2
Approval: +71
Gold Stars: 18
Quoted from rancido

Why would we want him back ? We all seem too quick to forget that the squad he assembled last summer, coupled with his tactics he used this season , led to his demise and the need to bring in another manager. Now I'm not going into the outcome of DA's appointment but to be fair he inherited a limited squad, several of whom were underperforming according to the general consensus on this site. Nearly all the players released by DA in January were classed as " not good enough for our league level " by many posters on here. The replacements may or may not be good enough but they were mostly endorsed by the same posters who wanted new players in those positions. The Conteh situation is a tricky one given that he had a release clause in his contract and his departure was inevitable at some stage. It is a fairly recognised fact that the January transfer window is more of a " sticking plaster" situation as opposed to a major rebuild. Although DA is accountable for the players he brought in here cannot be held responsible for the players he inherited, especially if they were brought in for a plan or playing style in PH's head that obviously DA would not be privy to. Now, I'm not making excuses for DA's playing style or decisions but he had , and I add willingly, inherited players who don't fit into his mind-set or tactical ethos.
I honestly don't know where we go to from here. Sack DA , at some cost, and bring in a new manager who hopefully can get this disfunctional squad into grinding out enough results to ensure Football League status. Obviously if that manager can't then we still get relegated and have less cash to fund a major restructuring of playing staff to play non-league and hopefully bounce back almost straight away. We could sack DA and hope that SP and BD fill in to try to ensure League status and then see what to do in the summer as regards a permanent manager. The last choice is to stick with DA and hope that he can , over our last 15(?) league games, get enough points to ensure we stay up. Whatever decision is taken by the owners, I don't envy them .

Great post 👏🏻 it's such a hard decision purely because of money. I don't think many people realise how much it costs all these sackings. I just hoped DA would of kept us up with enthusiasm for next year but it clearly isn't happening.....he should go now but if he wins a couple of games somehow quick he saves the owners a problem. One thing I would say, the owners are getting a lot of grief but if they go F you then we're pulling out....we are even more doomed, who would take over this sh#t show. So be careful what you ask for

Private Message
Reply: 7 - 25
February 18, 2024, 10:53pm
Guest User

Disagree with some of points referencing quality of players and anyway head of recruit influenced decision too so not all accountability sits on PH.

Removing the money factor.

Better chance of remaining in the league with DA or without DA? This is key question right now for me.
Reply: 8 - 25
Mayaman
February 19, 2024, 12:06am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.92
Rep Score: +7 / -2
Approval: +3,416
Gold Stars: 74
Quoted from Blundellite

Great post 👏🏻 it's such a hard decision purely because of money. I don't think many people realise how much it costs all these sackings. I just hoped DA would of kept us up with enthusiasm for next year but it clearly isn't happening.....he should go now but if he wins a couple of games somehow quick he saves the owners a problem. One thing I would say, the owners are getting a lot of grief but if they go F you then we're pulling out....we are even more doomed, who would take over this sh#t show. So be careful what you ask for

It was a great and rational post.  A lot of fans seem to think to fix this is as easy as doing a restart on a crashed laptop.  Not one of the decisions mentioned would guarantee success (us staying up).
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 25
3 Pages 1 2 3 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Could we? will we.maybe?..

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.