This thread currently has 4,977 views. Print
7 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All Recommend Thread
Theimperialcoroner
February 19, 2024, 11:27am

Posts Per Day: 1.05
Rep Score: +47 / -4
Approval: +5,211
Gold Stars: 102
Some midfield Free Agents out there include Dan Gosling, Matty Longstaff and Connor Wickham. Of course I know nothing of their fitness or availability, but there are actually loads of players from higher up the leagues without a club who could surely help our wet bogroll of a midfield.

Batch, Crombie, Moore K, Wiggington, Cumming, Waters, Bonnyman, Ford, Emson, Drinkell, Whymark. Love you all, You are the reason I'm on here. You've had help from Todd, Handyside, Futcher P, Groves, Mendonca, Macca etc etc etc. Up The Mariners!!!!!!!!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 61
Mappers
February 19, 2024, 11:42am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 5.43
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +4,318
Gold Stars: 117
We could still provide a midfield that would be competitive and able to grind out results .

Clifton tucked in off the left with Green and Thompson just sitting in the middle of the park (not emptying it out at will , which seems our favourite self destruct tactic)  with Vernam or Arthur providing a bit of width on the right .

Just go back to basic league 2 style and gain the points .

I don't think Artell is either capable or his ego is too big to be able to revert to any sort of regular play though . He said we were 'meh' and recently frowned upon Hurst's style of football .

That's probably the main reason I want him gone , I can't see anything changing at all , with us just receiving more pumpings at home .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 61
MuddyWaters
February 19, 2024, 11:45am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,249
Gold Stars: 235
Quoted from Mappers
We could still provide a midfield that would be competitive and able to grind out results .

Clifton tucked in off the left with Green and Thompson just sitting in the middle of the park (not emptying it out at will , which seems our favourite self destruct tactic)  with Vernam or Arthur providing a bit of width on the right .

Just go back to basic league 2 style and gain the points .

I don't think Artell is either capable or his ego is too big to be able to revert to any sort of regular play though . He said we were 'meh' and recently frowned upon Hurst's style of football .

That's probably the main reason I want him gone , I can't see anything changing at all , with us just receiving more pumpings at home .

After Saturday, I don't know how anyone would put Green anywhere near the starting XI.
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 61
Maringer
February 19, 2024, 12:27pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,512
Gold Stars: 185
Quoted from Theimperialcoroner
Some midfield Free Agents out there include Dan Gosling, Matty Longstaff and Connor Wickham. Of course I know nothing of their fitness or availability, but there are actually loads of players from higher up the leagues without a club who could surely help our wet bogroll of a midfield.

I always thought Wickham was a striker? Regardless, he's not kicked a ball since the end of last season so not even worth considering. Same goes for Longstaff, though he's a bit younger so might have retained a bit more fitness. Gosling has at least had a club this season so ought to be fitter.

I think we're clutching at straws trying to find an out of contract player to improve things. It's obvious why the straw-clutching is taking place, however.

Let's just hope that Thompson can get himself fit for most of the season as he's the only midfielder we have (other than Ainley) who has anything like the experience we desperately need.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 61
Mappers
February 19, 2024, 12:37pm
Champagne Drinker
Quoted from MuddyWaters

After Saturday, I don't know how anyone would put Green anywhere near the starting XI.

I think he is being woefully exposed tbh - the manager is asking about 6 players to do a job they are not capable of .

Clifton can't play CM, again woefully exposed

Green,Clifton , Holahan and Glennon were all adequate last season in a team that finished 11th , I don't think they are as bad as they are being made to look in big D's system.

Where the hell is Glennon , Completely binned ?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 61
Knut Anders Fosters Voles
February 19, 2024, 12:41pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.86
Rep Score: +24 / -1
Approval: +8,828
Gold Stars: 555
Quoted from Mappers

I think he is being woefully exposed tbh - the manager is asking about 6 players to do a job they are not capable of .

Clifton can't play CM, again woefully exposed

Where the hell is Glennon , Completely binned ?

Glennon is one of the many who shouldn’t play for the club again.  The problem is, there’s so many of them in that situation now, that you have to continue to play some of them to put out a team and fill the bench.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 61
MuddyWaters
February 19, 2024, 12:44pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,249
Gold Stars: 235

Glennon is one of the many who shouldn’t play for the club again.  The problem is, there’s so many of them in that situation now, that you have to continue to play some of them to put out a team and fill the bench.

Hume is suffering the same situation as Glennon did - playing behind Eisa who is possibly the laziest footballer I've ever seen. Vernam's tracking back isn't much better either.
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 61
Mappers
February 19, 2024, 12:46pm
Champagne Drinker
Quoted from MuddyWaters

Hume is suffering the same situation as Glennon did - playing behind Eisa who is possibly the laziest footballer I've ever seen. Vernam's tracking back isn't much better either.

That's why I think shove Clifton there he was an effective foil for Glennon last season - I do think he's a much better player out on the left rather than CM .

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 61
Theimperialcoroner
February 19, 2024, 1:32pm

Posts Per Day: 1.05
Rep Score: +47 / -4
Approval: +5,211
Gold Stars: 102
Quoted from Maringer

I always thought Wickham was a striker? Regardless, he's not kicked a ball since the end of last season so not even worth considering. Same goes for Longstaff, though he's a bit younger so might have retained a bit more fitness. Gosling has at least had a club this season so ought to be fitter.

I think we're clutching at straws trying to find an out of contract player to improve things. It's obvious why the straw-clutching is taking place, however.

Let's just hope that Thompson can get himself fit for most of the season as he's the only midfielder we have (other than Ainley) who has anything like the experience we desperately need.

Wasn’t making a case for any of them individually, merely that there are players out there. As it is I think our season is reliant on Thompsons glass knees.

Batch, Crombie, Moore K, Wiggington, Cumming, Waters, Bonnyman, Ford, Emson, Drinkell, Whymark. Love you all, You are the reason I'm on here. You've had help from Todd, Handyside, Futcher P, Groves, Mendonca, Macca etc etc etc. Up The Mariners!!!!!!!!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 48 - 61
mariner91
February 19, 2024, 3:44pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,651
Gold Stars: 261
Quoted from Mappers

That's why I think shove Clifton there he was an effective foil for Glennon last season - I do think he's a much better player out on the left rather than CM .

That’s what I’d do too.

2 in front of the defence in the form of Holohan and Thompson if his legs work. Clifton wide left to give Hume more help, Vernam on the right and Hunt behind Rose. You’ve then got Gnahoua and Pyke to bring on out wide if you need. You could also potentially put Gnahoua behind Rose, he’s played there before. I’d drop Eisa completely, all season he’s pulled out of tackles and shown little appetite for the unglamorous side of the game but I thought his lack of efforts and balls on Saturday was an absolute disgrace.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 49 - 61
7 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Midfield today

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.