6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
Theimperialcoroner
February 15, 2024, 5:28pm

Posts Per Day: 1.05
Rep Score: +47 / -4
Approval: +5,209
Gold Stars: 102
Quoted from Gaffer58
Off the top of my head Mansfield have spent loads over the last few years, in fact I think it’s the owners wife who’s in charge, so yes they’re looking good at the moment, and if they get promotion then it’s spend on another level in league 1, and I don’t believe there attendances are larger then ours.

Stockport too. Their wealthy owner pumps loads in I’d imagine without checking they are at similar levels to Wrexham.

Batch, Crombie, Moore K, Wiggington, Cumming, Waters, Bonnyman, Ford, Emson, Drinkell, Whymark. Love you all, You are the reason I'm on here. You've had help from Todd, Handyside, Futcher P, Groves, Mendonca, Macca etc etc etc. Up The Mariners!!!!!!!!!
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 50
RonMariner
February 15, 2024, 5:58pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.42
Rep Score: +42 / -7
Approval: +13,714
Gold Stars: 226
4million to get to mid table in L2. Crazy. What is the point?

This kind of thing just distorts the division. So many clubs are vanity projects for the super rich these days that there is little chance of a club trying to manage its finances sensibly being able to compete.

It’s worse the higher up the leagues you go. I think I read that more than half of the clubs have been in admin at one time or another, some several times. But they never learn. Even teams in the prem with the fantastic amounts of cash that they get thrown at them manage to lose vast fortunes.

It’s why the days of Town being a force in the Championship as we were in the eighties and nineties are well and truly gone. Unless one of us wins the euro lottery.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 50
pen penfras
February 15, 2024, 6:11pm

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.66
Rep Score: +8 / -9
Approval: -126
Gold Stars: 71
Quoted from GrimRob
I agree with salary cap but I seem to remember when it was proposed in the National League there was much hand wringing on here. We're well down the table in this division wage bill wise but were quite high up in the NL. Most fans will want whatever favours their club.

Not going to happen. The clubs voted for it, then the ones that didn't want a cap challenged in court and it got ruled illegal. A football regulator won't be able to change the law. The only way would be to enforce the ffp or something like that which caps expenditure rather than individual payments. Technically already exists but being able to opt out is obscene
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 50
AncientExiledMariner
February 15, 2024, 6:21pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.52
Rep Score: +8 / -2
Approval: +516
Gold Stars: 59
If they have harsher punishments for administration, it may at least punish teams not living within their means. If they overtake us, they'll be back down before they know it. While I don't like fans getting punished, it feels like we're getting punished for supporting a sustainable football club.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 50
LocalLadGTFC
February 15, 2024, 7:16pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.37
Rep Score: +9 / -2
Approval: +4,219
Gold Stars: 137
Quoted from pen penfras

Not going to happen. The clubs voted for it, then the ones that didn't want a cap challenged in court and it got ruled illegal. A football regulator won't be able to change the law. The only way would be to enforce the ffp or something like that which caps expenditure rather than individual payments. Technically already exists but being able to opt out is obscene

Not a problem with owners putting money into clubs and spending freely, registering as debt against the club is only going one way and the FA wonder why clubs are going pot.
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 14 - 50
Balthazar Bullitt
February 15, 2024, 8:10pm

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.26
Rep Score: +10 / -1
Approval: +2,260
Gold Stars: 16
Quoted from RonMariner

It’s why the days of Town being a force in the Championship as we were in the eighties and nineties are well and truly gone. Unless one of us wins the euro lottery.

If I win the euro lottery, I'll be rebuilding the Winter Gardens first and then we'll see what's left over for Town
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 50
Heisenberg
February 15, 2024, 8:10pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.80
Rep Score: +9 / -1
Approval: +5,055
Gold Stars: 93
Quoted from Theimperialcoroner

Stockport too. Their wealthy owner pumps loads in I’d imagine without checking they are at similar levels to Wrexham.

Stockport lost 70k every week trying to get out of the conference, although it DID work.

We, of course, did it on a relative shoestring, but now it’s showing as (according to some figures I was shown today) we have a bottom 5 budget in this division.

It’s all conjecture, but probably not far off.

Crawley, though, are a madcap football club. I wish we were already safe like them, however….
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 50
Balthazar Bullitt
February 15, 2024, 8:13pm

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.26
Rep Score: +10 / -1
Approval: +2,260
Gold Stars: 16
Quoted from Heisenberg

Stockport lost 70k every week trying to get out of the conference, although it DID work.

We, of course, did it on a relative shoestring, but now it’s showing as (according to some figures I was shown today) we have a bottom 5 budget in this division.

Crawley, though, are a madcap football club. I wish we were already safe like them, however….

Those figures off some random twitter account you mean? Or was it from a source with some credibility like Kieran Maguire?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 50
Heisenberg
February 15, 2024, 8:26pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.80
Rep Score: +9 / -1
Approval: +5,055
Gold Stars: 93
Quoted from Balthazar Bullitt

Those figures off some random twitter account you mean? Or was it from a source with some credibility like Kieran Maguire?

Definitely not Maguire, I’ll admit that, but I was one of those early season that was pretty sure there were LOTS of big spenders this season and we’d finish bottom half as we couldn’t compete. I didn’t quite foresee THIS, though.

You’re right in that the numbers could be nonsense, and I very much doubt that ANYONE has access to accurate figures for all 24 teams’ wages, but if we’re run sustainably, we’re small fry in this division this year, no doubt.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 50
pen penfras
February 15, 2024, 8:35pm

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.66
Rep Score: +8 / -9
Approval: -126
Gold Stars: 71
Quoted from Heisenberg

It can't be bottom 5. We're definitely spending more than when Fenty was in charge and we were 11th highest spenders in Jolley's season. I know there are more big spenders than usual, but not that many more.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 50
6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Crawley Town/Lower League Finances

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.