thornemariner
February 15, 2024, 1:20pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.12
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +660
Gold Stars: 22
Quoted from Limerick Mariner

Saturday is absolutely massive for both clubs. Donny were tanking as badly as us with a couple of thrashings, but have improved with a win and two draws. But a defeat for them and a win for FGR drags them into it, with a draw in our game in hand then taking us above them on GD. Never mind the FGR game, the thought of defeat on Saturday brings on nausea with me

I've seen Donny seven times in all competitions this season and they've won five including beating us. The only other poor game was when they were at home to Bradford. The other defeat was at home to Everton and rather unlucky. I do think they have more in the tank than us but hope we get the better of them on Saturday. Big big game.
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 46
toontown
February 15, 2024, 1:23pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +6,280
Gold Stars: 70
Quoted from Poojah

I have a gut feeling that we’ll need to pick up one more point than Colchester in order to stay up.

If that's the task then I think we will fall short tbh. Artell thinks we're both safe so obviously expecting FGR to continue being utter excrement, it's a massive gamble.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 46
GrimRob
February 15, 2024, 1:35pm

Posts Per Day: 2.12
Rep Score: +76 / -34
Approval: +13,421
Gold Stars: 113
Quoted from Gaffer58
When we were down in the conference how many people on here were shouting about it only being fare for there to be 3 promotion places, now we’re in league 2 how many think 2 is ample.

Should be 3 up 3 down, no reason on earth it should be any different. Upside would be relegation not so terrible.

'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.  
~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Offline
Site Private Message Skype
Reply: 32 - 46
Quagmire
February 15, 2024, 1:41pm

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.13
Rep Score: +19 / 0
Approval: +931
Gold Stars: 43
Quoted from thornemariner

I've seen Donny seven times in all competitions this season and they've won five including beating us.

With that kind of record, steer clear of BP on Saturday!!  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 46
Poojah
February 15, 2024, 1:54pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,597
Gold Stars: 1,503
Quoted from toontown

If that's the task then I think we will fall short tbh. Artell thinks we're both safe so obviously expecting FGR to continue being utter excrement, it's a massive gamble.

This is my big concern. Steve Cotterill has almost 900 games on his CV, 4 promotions, 0 relegations and a win ratio of 40%, which is some going over so many games. It’s hard not to feel that they are in good hands.

Alright, even Big Sam got relegated eventually, but do I think they have a manager and squad capable of outstripping us by 7 points between now and the end of April? When you consider the chances of us completely shítting the bed when they come to BP, I absolutely do.

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 46
chaos33
February 15, 2024, 2:28pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,937
Gold Stars: 360
I personally feel that relegation is likely. We need several more wins and I just don’t see where the next one is coming from. I also don’t think the players buy in to the manager.

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 46
Poojah
February 15, 2024, 3:07pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from chaos33
I personally feel that relegation is likely. We need several more wins and I just don’t see where the next one is coming from. I also don’t think the players buy in to the manager.

I think there’s a scenario, and a quite likely one at that, where we find ourselves teetering right on the brink of, or even in, the bottom 2, by early March. What’s more concerning than that, is that I really don’t think we are psychologically prepared for the shock that will bring with it.

If we’re not careful, the transition from relatively safe to properly up shít creek could be frighteningly swift.

Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 46
MuddyWaters
February 15, 2024, 3:20pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,261
Gold Stars: 236
Quoted from Poojah

I think there’s a scenario, and a quite likely one at that, where we find ourselves teetering right on the brink of, or even in, the bottom 2, by early March. What’s more concerning than that, is that I really don’t think we are psychologically prepared for the shock that will bring with it.

If we’re not careful, the transition from relatively safe to properly up shít creek could be frighteningly swift.

It depends on your perspective. I think we're up shitcreek now - I don't see anything that's going to keep us up because our defence is garbage and our midfield isn't nuch better.
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 46
Poojah
February 15, 2024, 3:23pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from MuddyWaters

It depends on your perspective. I think we're up shitcreek now - I don't see anything that's going to keep us up because our defence is garbage and our midfield isn't nuch better.

My take is that if we find ourselves in the bottom 2 at any point, we won’t get out of it. Per my assessment above, I was defining “shít creek” as finding ourselves in that very position.

A win on Saturday is absolutely paramount.

Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 46
Limerick Mariner
February 15, 2024, 3:49pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +10 / -3
Approval: +5,704
Gold Stars: 136
Quoted from Poojah

My take is that if we find ourselves in the bottom 2 at any point, we won’t get out of it. Per my assessment above, I was defining “shít creek” as finding ourselves in that very position.

A win on Saturday is absolutely paramount.

Essentially, we have the play-offs with 3 games, Donny, FGR, Col U; win all 3 and we will almost certainly be safe. We once had a manager who was rather good with play-offs and cup games even though he wasn’t always the best for run-of-the-mill league games…
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 46
5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › The run in

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.