3 Pages Prev 1 2 3 All Recommend Thread
Norseman
February 12, 2024, 11:58pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.45
Rep Score: +2 / -4
Approval: +288
Gold Stars: 48
Conteh is a bigger loss than many people think .He was the outlet ball in midfield for receiving from the back .We now have no one able to do that so never relieve the pressure
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 28
February 13, 2024, 8:00am
Guest User
Quoted from davmariner

That’s quite a poor analysis though isn’t it?

You’re assuming that professional footballers have all the same intelligence, skill, fitness, concentration and consistency in performing under pressure.

It doesn’t take into account the reality that there are different standards/levels of professional football. A Premier League footballer is naturally going to be able to execute the above that you set-out to a higher standard and consistency than a League 2 player.

The skill of a manager is understanding the capability of the team and setting up in a way that gets the best out of the players as a collective.

A 10 yard pass is a 10 yard pass, and the decision whether to make it or not is simple, as I said earlier.  

Reply: 21 - 28
February 13, 2024, 8:02am
Guest User
Quoted from grimsby pete
I would just like to add because of breathing problems I spend most of my time in the armchair watching every football match on the telly.

I have never seen any team playing out from the back to up the field and score a goal.

I have seen many teams fook it up with a goal against being the outcome.

I have seen several keepers giving the ball some welly and it ended with a goal! !! For.

I haven't seen the ball come straight back resulting in a goal against.

Moral of the story =  play tippy happy football up the field not near your own goal.

Simples  

I have, and I'm sure many others on here have too.

Reply: 22 - 28
MuddyWaters
February 13, 2024, 8:14am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,257
Gold Stars: 236
Quoted from 123614

I have, and I'm sure many others on here have too.

I saw Hull (on TV) score a goal from the back a few weeks ago. I’m not sure that we have enough technical ability to do that though.
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 28
1mickylyons
February 13, 2024, 8:25am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.53
Rep Score: +42 / -14
Approval: +9,386
Gold Stars: 56
The 2nd Stockport goal showed how easy it can be to construct a goal from deep .A long excellent pass great first touch and bang you don't need to pass it  backwards and sideways for 5 mins first.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 28
rancido
February 13, 2024, 9:03am

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,572
Gold Stars: 96
Quoted from 1mickylyons
The 2nd Stockport goal showed how easy it can be to construct a goal from deep .A long excellent pass great first touch and bang you don't need to pass it  backwards and sideways for 5 mins first.

There are many ways to construct a build up to score a goal. Build from the back is one and a long direct pass is another. They all have their merits and minuses. A blend of both is another and is possibly the best approach but there has to be an underlying ' first choice approach' that the team is well rehearsed in.

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 28
MuddyWaters
February 13, 2024, 9:30am
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from rancido

There are many ways to construct a build up to score a goal. Build from the back is one and a long direct pass is another. They all have their merits and minuses. A blend of both is another and is possibly the best approach but there has to be an underlying ' first choice approach' that the team is well rehearsed in.

The thing that I would agree with is that it’s about decision making. If it gets formulaic then it gets more predictable and far easier to play against.
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 28
Mappers
February 13, 2024, 9:42am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 5.43
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +4,333
Gold Stars: 118
Quoted from MuddyWaters

The thing that I would agree with is that it’s about decision making. If it gets formulaic then it gets more predictable and far easier to play against.

It  looks to me most of the time it's very predictable with the angle of passes being dangerous (the regular seems to be keeper to defensive midfielder ) which was fine with Conteh as he was so technically very good but with Thomson it looks a recipe for disaster as I don't think that's the role he has played for most of his career . The options are 1 or  2 at best when somebody has the ball at the back . At MK and against Morecambe we had far more options all over the place with 3 ,4 or 5 players wanting the ball , coming short and looking really good . It must be a confidence thing , because he's hardly told them to stop doing what they were doing well has he .

I would like to see Arthur play as a 10 behind Rose for a run , because he is technically capable like Conteh and looks after the ball well , he was very good at MK I thought .It's just getting it to him I guess .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 28
MuddyWaters
February 13, 2024, 9:44am
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Mappers

It  looks to me most of the time it's very predictable with the angle of passes being dangerous (the regular seems to be keeper to defensive midfielder ) which was fine with Conteh as he was so technically very good but with Thomson it looks a recipe for disaster as I don't think that's the role he has played for most of his career . The options are 1 or  2 at best when somebody has the ball at the back . At MK and against Morecambe we had far more options all over the place with 3 ,4 or 5 players wanting the ball , coming short and looking really good . It must be a confidence thing , because he's hardly told them to stop doing what they were doing well has he .

We had a different midfield then though!
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 28
3 Pages Prev 1 2 3 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › This week

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.