Quoted from IlkleyMariner
Best case

Win v Colchester and Donny
Sutton and FGR both lose

Sutton….22
FGR……20

Everyone happy. Panic over….

Worse case…….🤬🤬

We probably wouldn't need many more in reality to be safe .

If i take my Town hat off and look at the numbers , with Sutton & FGR having a really tough run in it may even be a record low points total to survive - they would need 20 points to avoid that from 16 games . or us/Doncaster /Colchester to have a run of epic disaster and pick up single figures from the remaining games . It might be bad , but on paper at least we are in a strong position to survive as it stands .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 28
LH
February 12, 2024, 11:42am

Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +30 / -13
Approval: +18,535
Gold Stars: 173
Just one season without our biggest game in decades would be nice. We nearly had a year off last season but then had the highest profile game in out post-war history!
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 28
chelseacity
February 12, 2024, 1:58pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.06
Rep Score: +4 / -2
Approval: +364
Gold Stars: 9
I went to the managers first game at Milton Keynes, it was like watching a different team, they passed & moved & it was amazing to watch for the 600 plus of us there that night, then look at the last few games !  it's all changed, i don't know what Shaun & Ben are doing with the players in training, & we have a full time goalkeeping coach & a goalie who seems decent in goal but when he has the ball for distribution he is a massive liability. Something has gone wrong from when he took over, but i don't honestly know what that is.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 28
DB
February 12, 2024, 2:28pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.50
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +4,026
Gold Stars: 388
Quoted from 1mickylyons
There is no Grimsby way its bollox there was a Buckley way and that's it from 25 years ago.

There is also the George Kerr way which is older than 25 years ago.

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 28
Spurn boy
February 12, 2024, 5:37pm

Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.23
Rep Score: +2 / 0
Approval: +1,240
Gold Stars: 29
Quoted from chelseacity
I went to the managers first game at Milton Keynes, it was like watching a different team, they passed & moved & it was amazing to watch for the 600 plus of us there that night, then look at the last few games !  it's all changed, i don't know what Shaun & Ben are doing with the players in training, & we have a full time goalkeeping coach & a goalie who seems decent in goal but when he has the ball for distribution he is a massive liability. Something has gone wrong from when he took over, but i don't honestly know what that is.

What has gone wrong in my opinion is quite simple, the players cannot handle the pressure of playing the new system of playing out from the back at Blundell Park , some of these players are not used to an environment like an almost full BP and when something goes wrong you can see the confidence they had just drain away and they start making irrational decisions. I think they are more relaxed and play better away from home, I don’t think it’s a coincidence that our away performances have been better than the ones at home.

Dead Eye Dobbin stood motionless waiting, waiting, waiting for the ball to arrive. Back came the right foot, Down came the right foot, Bang ! Headlines around the world as the ball flew into the very top right hand corner of the goal.( Jim Dobbin scoring in the 89th minute for Town against Newcastle United away 24/10/1992 )
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 28
Kris2
February 12, 2024, 5:45pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.65
Rep Score: +16 / -18
Approval: +2,634
Gold Stars: 136
Quoted from 1mickylyons
There is no Grimsby way its bollox there was a Buckley way and that's it from 25 years ago.

People often moaned about Buckley's way of playing too when he was actively the manager, never happy our fans.  

Constant moaning about "triangle passes" and "can only win games by getting a penno" I recall.
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 28
February 12, 2024, 7:16pm
Guest User
Quoted from Spurn boy

What has gone wrong in my opinion is quite simple, the players cannot handle the pressure of playing the new system of playing out from the back at Blundell Park , some of these players are not used to an environment like an almost full BP and when something goes wrong you can see the confidence they had just drain away and they start making irrational decisions. I think they are more relaxed and play better away from home, I don’t think it’s a coincidence that our away performances have been better than the ones at home.

Seriously these are professional footballers, if they cannot decide when a 10 yard pass is not on, but then decide to do it anyway, then they shouldn't be playing in a professional team.  It's not rocket science, see who is available for that short pass, if there is no one, then hoof it, it's all about making the right decision.

Reply: 16 - 28
davmariner
February 12, 2024, 9:31pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +37 / -10
Approval: +4,936
Gold Stars: 79
Quoted from 123614

Seriously these are professional footballers, if they cannot decide when a 10 yard pass is not on, but then decide to do it anyway, then they shouldn't be playing in a professional team.  It's not rocket science, see who is available for that short pass, if there is no one, then hoof it, it's all about making the right decision.

That’s quite a poor analysis though isn’t it?

You’re assuming that professional footballers have all the same intelligence, skill, fitness, concentration and consistency in performing under pressure.

It doesn’t take into account the reality that there are different standards/levels of professional football. A Premier League footballer is naturally going to be able to execute the above that you set-out to a higher standard and consistency than a League 2 player.

The skill of a manager is understanding the capability of the team and setting up in a way that gets the best out of the players as a collective.

Up The Mariners!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 28
LocalLadGTFC
February 12, 2024, 9:53pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.37
Rep Score: +9 / -2
Approval: +4,229
Gold Stars: 137
Quoted from 123614

If only it was that easy then everyone would be a success. Pep went into City and had teething issues first season but was adamant on the style of play he wanted to play despite not having the players to do so. Went out and overhauled the squad the season after and replaced the players with players he wanted and won the league. Obviously we don't have the luxuries of Man City and nor am I comparing DA to Pep but there's likenesses in the circumstances. I believe DA has implemented a system that is successful going forward, when we get it into the forward areas we look dangerous and I believe in every single performance we've had numerous chances which was a massive struggle under PH. I do believe there's a middle ground somewhere between his approach and ' hoofing it ' that would probably be best deployed in this moment of time but i'm not the manager of the football club, i'm a supporter and I'll back the manager based on what he feels is the right fit despite what my opinion is.
Logged Online
Private Message Skype
Reply: 18 - 28
grimsby pete
February 12, 2024, 11:31pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.80
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,801
Gold Stars: 222
I would just like to add because of breathing problems I spend most of my time in the armchair watching every football match on the telly.

I have never seen any team playing out from the back to up the field and score a goal.

I have seen many teams fook it up with a goal against being the outcome.

I have seen several keepers giving the ball some welly and it ended with a goal! !! For.

I haven't seen the ball come straight back resulting in a goal against.

Moral of the story =  play tippy happy football up the field not near your own goal.

Simples  

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 28
3 Pages Prev 1 2 3 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › This week

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.