Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › If Artell does stay...
Moderators: Moderator
Users Browsing Forum

If Artell does stay...

This thread currently has 1,561 views. Print
3 Pages 1 2 3 All Recommend Thread
toontown
February 11, 2024, 8:55pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +6,279
Gold Stars: 70
Just thinking about what would happen if Artell eeks out the season in about the same position we are now, say finishing about 21st .

The situation with the squad will be that we are still stuck with Eastwood as backup keeper and Cartwright will go back to hull. Probably a good thing as we can get a keeper who is good with his feet to play the Artell way, and hope that he doesn't get injured.

At CB mahers contract is up and surely it won't be renewed, he's been okish at the back when played properly and with a good partner but looks awful now (albeit better than Rodgers). So no loss for Artell's needs, he will want his own CB in which should help us.

However we then have Rodgers on a 2 year contract who is hopeless at the way Artell wants to play, and is probably on fairly big wages as we paid a fee for him I think. So we are stuck with him and his burden on the budget despite being likely 3rd choice.
Then we have Tharme, we've paid a fee for him and he will still have 2 years on his probably generous contract. Only seen 1 game from him, hopefully better than Rodgers but I don't think he's the ball playing CB Artell wants from his first display - Artell didn't seem to think so in his interview! The Gab Sutton bloke didn't seem to think either. Anyway he'll be staying with us.
Mullarkey still has a year on his contract so will have to be paid off if he isn't going to be 4th CB/2nd choice RB. But as he's likely gonna be reserve and not play do you want to spend budget to release him. Probably not.
So in other words we are unlikely to have the sort of CB pairing that Artell needs for his style of football because I can't see us having the budget next year for paying off multiple CBs AND paying top dollar for 2 ballers in that position.

So even if he keeps us up I think the best we can hope for is more months of struggle for him to get his ideas across, as he himself has said will be the case. Not a very appealing prospect for ST renewals, which itself makes the task harder.
Logged Online
Private Message
lew chaterleys lover
February 11, 2024, 9:02pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,717
Gold Stars: 237
Quoted from toontown
Just thinking about what would happen if Artell eeks out the season in about the same position we are now, say finishing about 21st .

The situation with the squad will be that we are still stuck with Eastwood as backup keeper and Cartwright will go back to hull. Probably a good thing as we can get a keeper who is good with his feet to play the Artell way, and hope that he doesn't get injured.

At CB mahers contract is up and surely it won't be renewed, he's been okish at the back when played properly and with a good partner but looks awful now (albeit better than Rodgers). So no loss for Artell's needs, he will want his own CB in which should help us.

However we then have Rodgers on a 2 year contract who is hopeless at the way Artell wants to play, and is probably on fairly big wages as we paid a fee for him I think. So we are stuck with him and his burden on the budget despite being likely 3rd choice.
Then we have Tharme, we've paid a fee for him and he will still have 2 years on his probably generous contract. Only seen 1 game from him, hopefully better than Rodgers but I don't think he's the ball playing CB Artell wants from his first display - Artell didn't seem to think so in his interview! The Gab Sutton bloke didn't seem to think either. Anyway he'll be staying with us.
Mullarkey still has a year on his contract so will have to be paid off if he isn't going to be 4th CB/2nd choice RB. But as he's likely gonna be reserve and not play do you want to spend budget to release him. Probably not.
So in other words we are unlikely to have the sort of CB pairing that Artell needs for his style of football because I can't see us having the budget next year for paying off multiple CBs AND paying top dollar for 2 ballers in that position.

So even if he keeps us up I think the best we can hope for is more months of struggle for him to get his ideas across, as he himself has said will be the case. Not a very appealing prospect for ST renewals, which itself makes the task harder.

Regarding Tharme I have rarely been less impressed with a player on his debut.

How on earth we managed to pay a fee and give him a decent contract is beyond me. He didn't seem to have anything about him at all.

If I'm wrong I will happily eat humble pie but I just can't see the attraction at all when we needed an experienced grizzly organiser at the back.

Private Message
Reply: 1 - 20
davmariner
February 11, 2024, 9:09pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +37 / -10
Approval: +4,935
Gold Stars: 79
I actually thought Tharme looked ok. Definitely no worse than our current useless centre backs.

Up The Mariners!
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 20
toontown
February 11, 2024, 9:10pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +6,279
Gold Stars: 70
Quoted from davmariner
I actually thought Tharme looked ok. Definitely no worse than our current useless centre backs.

But did he stand out as the ball playing CB Artell's game plan requires for success? I don't think so.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 20
lew chaterleys lover
February 11, 2024, 9:11pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from davmariner

No worse than the current useless centre backs? Exactly.  He was just as bad!
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 20
HerveJosse
February 11, 2024, 9:34pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.89
Rep Score: +6 / -3
Approval: +1,206
Gold Stars: 144
When the new owners came in one of the many things they said they wanted to deliver that hasn’t happened was that they wanted to see more stability in the club with players on longer contracts etc etc . Since then we have had the biggest revolving door of personnel imaginable with virtually all back room staff replaced most of their replacements havent stayed whether CEO commercial managers media staff or myriad of other roles. Including the transition season when Hurst came in half way through with the new owners hanging back to the season end to sign up so they were not tarnished with relegation around 80 players have pulled on a black and white shirt many of which have already been completly forgotten . Out of that 80 I would say no more then 20 are competent EFL players who could expect to regularly play at this level and many of those have gone or are over the hill The only continuity is the fans. If we do go down how many on the staff will really care or will they just put it down to another short period somewhere that didn’t work out. I certainly don’t see anybody on the pitch who appears to care much . What goes on behind closed doors who knows
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 20
Heisenberg
February 11, 2024, 9:41pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.80
Rep Score: +9 / -1
Approval: +5,065
Gold Stars: 93

Regarding Tharme I have rarely been less impressed with a player on his debut.

How on earth we managed to pay a fee and give him a decent contract is beyond me. He didn't seem to have anything about him at all.

If I'm wrong I will happily eat humble pie but I just can't see the attraction at all when we needed an experienced grizzly organiser at the back.

Fair enough, but he had an hour!!! Let’s see, shall we…..
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 20
HatTrickHero
February 11, 2024, 9:47pm

Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.14
Rep Score: +2 / 0
Approval: +779
Gold Stars: 25
Quoted from Heisenberg

Fair enough, but he had an hour!!! Let’s see, shall we…..

He was pretty good, calm,assured. We were looser at the back when he was off through injury.
He threw two huge throws into their box, better than most of our hopeless crosses. And he scored.
Yeah, all time unimpressive debut.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 20
Captaincod
February 11, 2024, 9:59pm
Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.03
Approval: +247
Gold Stars: 15
I read through previous threads on the Crewe forum about Artell and there were many posts about how awful his recruitment was after the talented homegrown players were sold.
Given how awful our own recruitment has been , Conteh apart, this doesn’t bode well for the future.
I’ve been a big supporter of the new owners , but it does make you wonder what’s gone on behind the scenes.
PH seemed to sign more technical players and tried to change the playing style but when it didn’t work and he reverted to his default mode he didn’t have the players to do it. Now we’re stuck with a mish mash of players who don’t seem to gel as any sort of team and a manager who thinks he’s the next Pep, refusing to change his style even though it’s blindingly obvious to all the fans and probably the players as well, that it’s not working.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 20
Lincoln Mariner 56
February 11, 2024, 10:15pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +23 / -4
Approval: +7,696

No worse than the current useless centre backs? Exactly.  He was just as bad!

It’s a point I’ve been making on other threads, and it’s obviously bugging me, but what improvement has there been in our transfer dealings since the appointment of a Recruitment Manager? To date there has been one obvious success, Conteh, not one other player, IMO, has looked an improvement on what we had before. I exclude Rose from this as he is an experienced and well known player who PH and his staff would have been well aware of prior to his signing.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 20
GrimRob
February 11, 2024, 10:17pm

Posts Per Day: 2.12
Rep Score: +76 / -34
Approval: +13,409
Gold Stars: 113
One thing humans are terrible at doing is predicting the future. Anyone can write 5 years plans and talk about stability. The only thing that matters in the next game.

'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.  
~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Offline
Site Private Message Skype
Reply: 10 - 20
MuddyWaters
February 11, 2024, 10:17pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,254
Gold Stars: 236
If he stays, ST sales will fall, possibly substantially depending on where we finish and the general cynicism about his methods will abound.

I wanted to give him time but you don’t throw players under the bus.
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 20
trickeymickey
February 11, 2024, 10:36pm
Coke Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.02
Approval: +113
Gold Stars: 12
He lost his job at the Alex because of appalling recruitment when the youngsters werent ready.  Last season was the worst for a very long time.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 20
petethemariner
February 12, 2024, 12:32am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.32
Rep Score: +36 / -2
Approval: +1,011
Gold Stars: 16
Does anyone think that the fact the majority of our squad commute and not live locallish means that they
miss the passion that GTFC fans feel  for the club and expect from them?
I'm old enough to remember Lawrie Macs  squad, most of whom lived in the area, the same to a large extent
Alan  Buckleys teams, our two most successfull managers of the past 50 years - coincidence?
Do players ( and managers) who live 70,80,90 miles away from GY live and breathe the club the same way
as we do? They should, they are well paid to do so and there are some exceptions of course, Danny Rose for
instance, but i cant help feeling that too many playerrs over the past 15 years or so  are here for a wage
and nothing else.
My opinion, i am sure many will disagree.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 20
davmariner
February 12, 2024, 12:46am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +37 / -10
Approval: +4,935
Quoted from petethemariner
Does anyone think that the fact the majority of our squad commute and not live locallish means that they
miss the passion that GTFC fans feel  for the club and expect from them?
I'm old enough to remember Lawrie Macs  squad, most of whom lived in the area, the same to a large extent
Alan  Buckleys teams, our two most successfull managers of the past 50 years - coincidence?
Do players ( and managers) who live 70,80,90 miles away from GY live and breathe the club the same way
as we do? They should, they are well paid to do so and there are some exceptions of course, Danny Rose for
instance, but i cant help feeling that too many playerrs over the past 15 years or so  are here for a wage
and nothing else.
My opinion, i am sure many will disagree.

I just think they’re shite mate. Most won’t be playing in the EFL next season.

Up The Mariners!
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 20
petethemariner
February 12, 2024, 12:59am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.32
Rep Score: +36 / -2
Approval: +1,011
Gold Stars: 16
Quoted from davmariner

I just think they’re shite mate. Most won’t be playing in the EFL next season.

Could be right Dav, lets hope they are not playing outside the EFL with us!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 20
DB
February 12, 2024, 1:07am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.51
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +4,021
Gold Stars: 386
We don't know the instructions given to the recruitment man. Regardless of a player's statistics was he told to find freebies, and pay fees not above  X amount of pounds? Then don't bother if they want above X amount wage.

There are more criteria for recruitment than just ability.

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 20
Davec
February 12, 2024, 6:52am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.17
Rep Score: +15 / -10
Approval: +1,451
Gold Stars: 42
Irrespective of what league we are in next season and the manager I think season ticket sales will be substantially lower, still potentially over 4k but that is still a substantial decrease on this seasons, and Stockwood and Pettit will be under even more pressure especially as when they arrived we all had big expectations and they have both in interviews gave raised our expectations. This is gonna be a very challenging time for whoever the manager is and for Stockwood and Pettit
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 20
HertsGTFC
February 12, 2024, 8:26am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.27
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,943
Gold Stars: 228
If he stays we’ll be a side that plays good football in the national league. We’ll win some games & maybe get in the play offs.

We will score goals but also ship them, Danny Rose won’t be playing for us.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 20
lew chaterleys lover
February 12, 2024, 8:45am
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from Lincoln Mariner 56

It’s a point I’ve been making on other threads, and it’s obviously bugging me, but what improvement has there been in our transfer dealings since the appointment of a Recruitment Manager? To date there has been one obvious success, Conteh, not one other player, IMO, has looked an improvement on what we had before. I exclude Rose from this as he is an experienced and well known player who PH and his staff would have been well aware of prior to his signing.

I have also been very critical of the recruitment as so often we seem to swop one set of players for another with very little discernable improvement.

We sometimes do get better players say like Rose, but how much better would it have been to integrate him into a settled team, instead of him being part of a new squad that hasn't gelled?

To be fair I think the idea was not to have wholesale changes in personnel all the time and improve the team more gradually over time hence longer contracts and so on, but you have to be sure you are giving longer contracts to the right players to begin with. It's not easy that is for sure but if we can get through this current crisis at least we should have a better idea at the type of player we want to recruit and a philosophy to follow.
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 20
DB
February 12, 2024, 2:18pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.51
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +4,021
Gold Stars: 386
Quoted from HertsGTFC
If he stays we’ll be a side that plays good football in the national league. We’ll win some games & maybe get in the play offs.

We will score goals but also ship them, Danny Rose won’t be playing for us.

That's a good summary to me. "We're too good to go down" are great words from DA, but we need to see that on the pitch.

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 20
3 Pages 1 2 3 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › If Artell does stay...

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.