Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › If Artell does stay...
Moderators: Moderator
Users Browsing Forum

If Artell does stay...

This thread currently has 1,563 views. Print
3 Pages Prev 1 2 3 Next All Recommend Thread
GrimRob
February 11, 2024, 10:17pm

Posts Per Day: 2.12
Rep Score: +76 / -34
Approval: +13,416
Gold Stars: 113
One thing humans are terrible at doing is predicting the future. Anyone can write 5 years plans and talk about stability. The only thing that matters in the next game.

'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.  
~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Online
Site Private Message Skype
Reply: 10 - 20
MuddyWaters
February 11, 2024, 10:17pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,257
Gold Stars: 236
If he stays, ST sales will fall, possibly substantially depending on where we finish and the general cynicism about his methods will abound.

I wanted to give him time but you don’t throw players under the bus.
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 20
trickeymickey
February 11, 2024, 10:36pm
Coke Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.02
Approval: +113
Gold Stars: 12
He lost his job at the Alex because of appalling recruitment when the youngsters werent ready.  Last season was the worst for a very long time.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 20
petethemariner
February 12, 2024, 12:32am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.32
Rep Score: +36 / -2
Approval: +1,011
Gold Stars: 16
Does anyone think that the fact the majority of our squad commute and not live locallish means that they
miss the passion that GTFC fans feel  for the club and expect from them?
I'm old enough to remember Lawrie Macs  squad, most of whom lived in the area, the same to a large extent
Alan  Buckleys teams, our two most successfull managers of the past 50 years - coincidence?
Do players ( and managers) who live 70,80,90 miles away from GY live and breathe the club the same way
as we do? They should, they are well paid to do so and there are some exceptions of course, Danny Rose for
instance, but i cant help feeling that too many playerrs over the past 15 years or so  are here for a wage
and nothing else.
My opinion, i am sure many will disagree.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 20
davmariner
February 12, 2024, 12:46am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +37 / -10
Approval: +4,936
Gold Stars: 79
Quoted from petethemariner
Does anyone think that the fact the majority of our squad commute and not live locallish means that they
miss the passion that GTFC fans feel  for the club and expect from them?
I'm old enough to remember Lawrie Macs  squad, most of whom lived in the area, the same to a large extent
Alan  Buckleys teams, our two most successfull managers of the past 50 years - coincidence?
Do players ( and managers) who live 70,80,90 miles away from GY live and breathe the club the same way
as we do? They should, they are well paid to do so and there are some exceptions of course, Danny Rose for
instance, but i cant help feeling that too many playerrs over the past 15 years or so  are here for a wage
and nothing else.
My opinion, i am sure many will disagree.

I just think they’re shite mate. Most won’t be playing in the EFL next season.

Up The Mariners!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 20
petethemariner
February 12, 2024, 12:59am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.32
Rep Score: +36 / -2
Approval: +1,011
Gold Stars: 16
Quoted from davmariner

I just think they’re shite mate. Most won’t be playing in the EFL next season.

Could be right Dav, lets hope they are not playing outside the EFL with us!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 20
DB
February 12, 2024, 1:07am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.49
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +4,022
Gold Stars: 386
We don't know the instructions given to the recruitment man. Regardless of a player's statistics was he told to find freebies, and pay fees not above  X amount of pounds? Then don't bother if they want above X amount wage.

There are more criteria for recruitment than just ability.

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 20
Davec
February 12, 2024, 6:52am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +15 / -10
Approval: +1,455
Gold Stars: 42
Irrespective of what league we are in next season and the manager I think season ticket sales will be substantially lower, still potentially over 4k but that is still a substantial decrease on this seasons, and Stockwood and Pettit will be under even more pressure especially as when they arrived we all had big expectations and they have both in interviews gave raised our expectations. This is gonna be a very challenging time for whoever the manager is and for Stockwood and Pettit
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 20
HertsGTFC
February 12, 2024, 8:26am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,954
Gold Stars: 228
If he stays we’ll be a side that plays good football in the national league. We’ll win some games & maybe get in the play offs.

We will score goals but also ship them, Danny Rose won’t be playing for us.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 20
lew chaterleys lover
February 12, 2024, 8:45am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,725
Gold Stars: 237
Quoted from Lincoln Mariner 56

It’s a point I’ve been making on other threads, and it’s obviously bugging me, but what improvement has there been in our transfer dealings since the appointment of a Recruitment Manager? To date there has been one obvious success, Conteh, not one other player, IMO, has looked an improvement on what we had before. I exclude Rose from this as he is an experienced and well known player who PH and his staff would have been well aware of prior to his signing.

I have also been very critical of the recruitment as so often we seem to swop one set of players for another with very little discernable improvement.

We sometimes do get better players say like Rose, but how much better would it have been to integrate him into a settled team, instead of him being part of a new squad that hasn't gelled?

To be fair I think the idea was not to have wholesale changes in personnel all the time and improve the team more gradually over time hence longer contracts and so on, but you have to be sure you are giving longer contracts to the right players to begin with. It's not easy that is for sure but if we can get through this current crisis at least we should have a better idea at the type of player we want to recruit and a philosophy to follow.
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 20
3 Pages Prev 1 2 3 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › If Artell does stay...

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.