4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
golfer
February 9, 2024, 11:37am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.30
Rep Score: +34 / -18
Approval: +3,442
Gold Stars: 116
For fooksake - there will be red cards yellow card blue cards pink cards and if it's raining the green cards will turn to blue or yellow. I'm only just getting used to what bins take egg cartons never mind what days to put them out.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 31
RichMariner
February 9, 2024, 12:32pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.50
Rep Score: +42 / -4
Approval: +9,135
Gold Stars: 209
I'm not against authorities trying to improve the game.

Not every idea is a good one, but we'll never know unless we try them.

However...

I think this blue card is totally unnecessary if yellow and red cards were used appropriately. There's wild inconsistency between officials in every game up and down the land, every weekend.

The way to resolve this is not to bring in an extra layer of contention — because this is what this is!

There are already too many discussion points and arguments over whether something is a yellow or just a free kick, or whether something is a yellow or a red, or whether it's a straight red, etc.

Chuck a blue into the mix and it'll just create more questions.

As it's been said already on here, the answer is to get officials to apply the current laws correctly and as consistently as possible. Sometimes I feel like they all have separate and individual training on how to be a referee.

VAR was meant to clear up incidents and eradicate the absolute shocker. I'd say it's mildly done that but, even now, a few years on from its introduction, it's still not being applied consistently.

VAR remains dependent on the skill level of those using it. And they can be as wildly different as the referees on the pitch.

It's classic case of an authority trying to clean up an issue it created by not improving the source. Don't just chuck something else into the mix because it's only going to complicate things further.

Fans, players and managers want clarity and consistency. Blue cards won't really help with that.

"Don't shine that light in my face, mate - I've just lost a pint of blood."
Logged Offline
Site Private Message
Reply: 21 - 31
1mickylyons
February 9, 2024, 3:13pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.53
Rep Score: +42 / -14
Approval: +9,386
Gold Stars: 56
The best Ref this Season for me was the one in the Notts home game.Let it flow allowed tackles and we get a 5-5 classic he didn't need a blue card or VAR.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 31
Maringer
February 9, 2024, 3:38pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,546
Gold Stars: 185
Quoted from 1mickylyons
The best Ref this Season for me was the one in the Notts home game.Let it flow allowed tackles and we get a 5-5 classic he didn't need a blue card or VAR.

We made some tackles?!?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 31
Meza
February 9, 2024, 4:32pm

We urine On Your Fish Yes we do yes we do
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.83
Rep Score: +78 / -3
Approval: +1,641
Gold Stars: 50
this in my eyes will break football.  Refs getting mixed up do i give a yellow, or a blue, just make yellow cards stand as usual but they get sin binned.  The difference being just carry on but when a yellow us given sin bin them.

My Grimsby Legends
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 31
GrimRob
February 9, 2024, 5:56pm

Posts Per Day: 2.12
Rep Score: +76 / -34
Approval: +13,416
Gold Stars: 113
Quoted from Meza
this in my eyes will break football.  Refs getting mixed up do i give a yellow, or a blue, just make yellow cards stand as usual but they get sin binned.  The difference being just carry on but when a yellow us given sin bin them.

People have always opposed rule changes. C B Fry (England international at football and cricket) was completely opposed to penalties when they were introduced: “It is a standing insult to sportsmen to have to play under a rule which assumes that players intend to trip, hack, and push their opponents, and to behave like cads of the most unscrupulous kidney.”

100 years on we're "taking one for the team". I'd love to go back in time and show him a modern game.

Sport evolves one rule change at a time! The naysayers would still have us playing without nets and corner flags

'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.  
~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Online
Site Private Message Skype
Reply: 25 - 31
GrimRob
February 9, 2024, 6:03pm

Posts Per Day: 2.12
Rep Score: +76 / -34
Approval: +13,416
Gold Stars: 113
For me, the 5 subs thing has made it far easier to get away with what used to be called professional fouls (normally while sneering at Latin players). It is now seen as an essential part of the English game and players are criticised for not doing it. Red cards via a second yellow seem to be less common these days although I haven't dug out any stats. The number of subs is only going to go up. Sub inflation is making a yellow card an insufficient punishment as managers can just haul anyone off who looks in danger of being sent off. Sending someone off is also perceived as "ruining the game" so referees often are reluctant to go for the second yellow and players are often allowed a second or even third chance.

'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.  
~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Online
Site Private Message Skype
Reply: 26 - 31
HertsGTFC
February 9, 2024, 6:20pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,953
Gold Stars: 228
Refs just need to apply the current laws don’t they ?

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 31
AncientExiledMariner
February 10, 2024, 1:17am
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.51
Rep Score: +8 / -2
Approval: +516
Gold Stars: 59
Quoted from GrimRob
For me, the 5 subs thing has made it far easier to get away with what used to be called professional fouls (normally while sneering at Latin players). It is now seen as an essential part of the English game and players are criticised for not doing it. Red cards via a second yellow seem to be less common these days although I haven't dug out any stats. The number of subs is only going to go up. Sub inflation is making a yellow card an insufficient punishment as managers can just haul anyone off who looks in danger of being sent off. Sending someone off is also perceived as "ruining the game" so referees often are reluctant to go for the second yellow and players are often allowed a second or even third chance.

I think you make a good point. Refs are afraid to send folk off and determine the game. They'd be more confident to punish bad behaviour if it's a 10 minute, not 90 minute impact, and teams are going to think twice about professional fouls. The way it goes now, is anyone not on a yellow, will take a hit for the team and take a free yellow. Your team could absolutely be dominating, but the muscle teams, the Stokes of league 2 will just abuse players, take 7 yellow cards, after sitting deep for 90 mins and stealing a goal from a set play. That is anti-football and the current rules encourage that style of play.

The reason we have 3 points for a win is to incentivise attacking. You gain by going for it, but with the steal goals from set plays football, it can incentivise boring game management teams. Any strong attacking team would happily have a man advantage so they can throw more forward and put the opponent under the cosh. Towards the end of the games, dominant teams outplay the opponent, and it's a case of will they get a goal, or won't they. I think this will give incentives to attacking teams and discouragement to rugby style teams. You'll effectively get teams trying to defend, by errr, defending, rather than fouling. You'll get actual football, and you'll get more excitement as teams get a 10 minute shot at getting a goal against brawler teams. If you cannot get it in the net in that time, ah well. If they do, the other team has to go out and attack. You get more end to end football.

The whole VAR argument is nonsense, because it's the issue with it is about refs deciding games, and the scrutiny over perfectionism in decisions. Right now, they don't off the TV, they just keep their cards in their pockets in lower leagues and you watch anti-football teams ascend.

It's funny how everyone here dug at Wrexham and Parkinson's football, but given a chance to change the game and incentivise the type they'd like, they throw weird illogical arguments forward which have no affect on the rule change.

The great thing about this, is if 10 mins is too much, you can drop it to 7 or 5 mins and balance it quite well to give a reasonable punishment.

My view, is let's try and see under human officials, not top level and learn from it. Worse changes have been implemented such as more substitutes which give an unfair advantage to richer teams that can afford to pay 16 good players rather than 14. Good for youth, obviously, but not the great leveller imho.

Another benefit, is English football is rougher than European football. What players get away with here doesn't work on the international stage, so what you'd get away with domestically defensively, you won't abroad. So English players don't always learn to defend effectively in a way that can be deployed in international fixtures. Creating a system where players learn to defend, rather than foul, can only help us internationally.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 31
GrimPol
February 10, 2024, 8:13am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.60
Rep Score: +3 / -7
Approval: -674
Gold Stars: 69
The ref can book/give out Yellows for dissent now, but they don't. So why does another card suddenly make them do it.
You should work with what you have to the Nth degree before putting in another layer. If not we will end up with refs running around with Dulux Colours in their pockets with ever-increasing layers of rules no one can understand.
All by the way instigated by retired ex-managers and ex-refs who wouldn't want this implemented when they were on the job. Make what you have now work before complicating further, I mean VAR isn't bedded in the last time I looked.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 31
4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Blue cards & sin bins

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.