This thread currently has 9,232 views. Print
8 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 All Recommend Thread
come_on_town
February 3, 2024, 11:59pm
Coke Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.01
Approval: +165
Gold Stars: 33
I’m not a regular poster but feel the need for this post. Myself and 7 mates got off the 11:03 train into Clee and we are all ashamed of the behaviour of a few.

On the way to Accrington on early trains this morning we first encountered the new youth following….it’s embarrassing

Then there’s the return journey. The waiting for connecting trains and this youth following with an average age of 15 and some parents in toe are letting all us travelling fans down. My mates all around late 30’s found ourselves apologising for this rabble to station staff let alone other fans. We encountered Scunny boys who’s gave us a bit of excrement but on the whole was great company yet the youth decided they wanted to cave every one of their heads in.

We was all massively embarrassed and ashamed of the behaviour of these few and I think it’s not acceptable to let this behaviour be associated with the mass of travelling well behaved mass.

If the older guys associated with the knobs read this post then wake up. The 80’s football culture copulated off long ago and you’re an embarrassment to represent the club as fans on away days. Not just the yobish behaviour but the theft from off licence’s and pubs around Accrington….

Totally understand it’s not a #GTFC problem but it’s giving us all a bad name….RANT OVER Sorry guys. Utm

Private Message
Plankton
February 4, 2024, 12:28am

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.25
Rep Score: +2 / 0
Approval: +1,215
Gold Stars: 38
It's an unfortunate truth that a less than ideal portion of our following are delinquent.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 71
BenBB
February 4, 2024, 12:40am

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.20
Rep Score: +1 / -2
Approval: +842
Gold Stars: 30
Quoted from come_on_town
I’m not a regular poster but feel the need for this post. Myself and 7 mates got off the 11:03 train into Clee and we are all ashamed of the behaviour of a few.

On the way to Accrington on early trains this morning we first encountered the new youth following….it’s embarrassing

Then there’s the return journey. The waiting for connecting trains and this youth following with an average age of 15 and some parents in toe are letting all us travelling fans down. My mates all around late 30’s found ourselves apologising for this rabble to station staff let alone other fans. We encountered Scunny boys who’s gave us a bit of excrement but on the whole was great company yet the youth decided they wanted to cave every one of their heads in.

We was all massively embarrassed and ashamed of the behaviour of these few and I think it’s not acceptable to let this behaviour be associated with the mass of travelling well behaved mass.

If the older guys associated with the knobs read this post then wake up. The 80’s football culture copulated off long ago and you’re an embarrassment to represent the club as fans on away days. Not just the yobish behaviour but the theft from off licence’s and pubs around Accrington….

Totally understand it’s not a #GTFC problem but it’s giving us all a bad name….RANT OVER Sorry guys. Utm

Quoted Text
If something doesn't look right, text the British Transport Police at 61016. We'll sort it. See it, say it, sorted.

Logged Offline
Site Private Message Skype
Reply: 2 - 71
livosnose
February 4, 2024, 1:33am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.54
Rep Score: +14 / -9
Approval: +1,176
Gold Stars: 15
Stone Island and entry 3 city and guilds in panel beating go hand in hand nowadays

[img][/img]
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 71
Kris2
February 4, 2024, 2:38am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.65
Rep Score: +16 / -18
Approval: +2,632
Gold Stars: 136
It's a sad thing that some people want to ignore this and pretend the element doesn't exist. When papers and such have written about these problems fans have acted like it's all lies and exaggerations, it's not. Just take the train on an awayday and you'll encounter the yobs.
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 71
lukeo
February 4, 2024, 4:50am
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 2.07
Rep Score: +38 / -23
Approval: +2,405
Gold Stars: 149
It's a shame and frustrating.  I've said it before but what annoys me more is they only turn up for local[ish] games. None of these 'lads' ever go to games like swindon, newport etc
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 71
dapperz fun pub
February 4, 2024, 6:16am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.59
Rep Score: +37 / -6
Approval: +10,048
Gold Stars: 84
I travel on trains a lot for work ( when they’re not striking ) I’ve encountered donny fans scunny fans Huddersfield Bolton Crystal Palace and Preston and probably more I’ve forgot this current season. I’ve either been on a train with them or seen them performing at a station. From disrespecting the train staff to fighting to throwing beer hooligan culture is still very much alive all over the country and is a national problem within society. I don’t think it will ever go away personally
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 71
Freemoash88
February 4, 2024, 7:00am

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.20
Rep Score: +7 / -2
Approval: +893
Gold Stars: 2
Yeah the problem is they watch films like "Football Factory" and "Green Street" and think that's how they should behave.

Listen like alot of Gentleman aged 30+ like myself I use football as a getaway from work, mrs and kids haha as harsh as it sounds to be around the lads and watch my beloved GTFC and have a couple of beers. I've never been one for looking for trouble or creating it and don't know why the youth today all have to dress the same getting the designer brands and "GET THE BADGE IN"  to feel big and hard.

These lads old and young are trying to recapture the 80s football violence and nearly 99% are all mouth, full of chants and can't actually handle there beer.

I'd love to see how long these muppets would last travelling to Eastern European countires and trying to pull the same excrement over there as they wouldn't last two minutes.

Unfortunately we won't completely eradicate this behavior but the more we speak up against it and report the individuals the quicker the clubs can react and start dishing out longer bans.  

Sorry you had to witness this I don't mind lads being lads but taking it too far like they have done this shouldn't be allowed to be at football games.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 71
Mappers
February 4, 2024, 7:18am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 5.45
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +4,445
Gold Stars: 119
I don't think it's any worse than other clubs , but still should not exist .

Not had many experiences myself , never get any bother but I do remember those sort of 'fans' smashing a double decker bus to bits, windows and all in Sheffield before we played Wednesday years ago ,  leaving kids and families traumatised as the bus was blown out .

There were  a few before the London stadium play off final  in that atire who obviously could not handle their beer firing fireworks all over the place ,1 had a flare up his bottom ,  wrecking the pub bits and pieces .

Don't know what the answer is apart from calling them out or raising awareness like your post here .
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 71
Maringer
February 4, 2024, 7:44am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,671
Gold Stars: 189
Unfortunately, some people are going to act like helmets, regardless of what they are doing. If they were out on a Saturday night, they would be acting like helmets, if they are doing the weekly shop, they act like helmets, if they are on the train to a Town game, they act like helmets.

Their forefathers probably acted like helmets as well and you'll often find their parents still do.

It's a pity that this is the way it has to be, especially when they are out of town (mis)representing the club, but not much can be done about it. Just have to hope they get a minor kicking at some point to teach them a bit of a lesson but, in truth, they'll probably get away with it. And then brag about it to their kids as they grow up and the cycle continues...
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 71
golfer
February 4, 2024, 7:55am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.29
Rep Score: +34 / -18
Approval: +3,450
Gold Stars: 118
Confucius established ethical, moral and social standards in China. His most famous saying was "Birch the Bastrds "
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 71
crusty ole pie
February 4, 2024, 8:11am

Whiskey Drinker
Rep Score: +16 / -1
Approval: +3,382
Gold Stars: 66
Stopped using trains for away games our fans mainly youths area total disgrace, and when the wife wants to visit the grandkids in Leeds the first thing I do is check the fixture list
But to balance this out it’s not just the football fans try being on the last train home from Lincoln or Doncaster on Saturday night. If you do dare to use don’t buy a ticket cos the guards are too scared to check the tickets
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 71
Yarborough Vaults
February 4, 2024, 8:16am
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.27
Rep Score: +1 / 0
Approval: +214
Gold Stars: 32
It's a tough one as going on away days as a young man was a real adventure when I did it many years ago. Things sometimes got out of hand, which I found exciting at the time.

Now I'm happy with a pint of bitter and a decent chippy. I hope the young lads don't get themselves in serious bother, and I'd have a word if I saw it going that way, but we were all young once and finding our way in the world. The more sedate Main or Upper/Lower mindset eventually beckons us all in time, as it will with this bunch.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 71
male private Nale
February 4, 2024, 8:58am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.35
Rep Score: +3 / -2
Approval: -925
Quoted from Yarborough Vaults
It's a tough one as going on away days as a young man was a real adventure when I did it many years ago. Things sometimes got out of hand, which I found exciting at the time.

Now I'm happy with a pint of bitter and a decent chippy. I hope the young lads don't get themselves in serious bother, and I'd have a word if I saw it going that way, but we were all young once and finding our way in the world. The more sedate Main or Upper/Lower mindset eventually beckons us all in time, as it will with this bunch.

Well said
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 71
HertsGTFC
February 4, 2024, 9:28am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.25
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,993
Gold Stars: 228
It’s a shame this kind of stuff exists.

I’ve been pushed, shoved & threatened twice on away trips following Town, both times by our own support.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 71
The Caterham Mariner
February 4, 2024, 9:47am
Exile and Proud..
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.49
Approval: +92
Gold Stars: 8
An "Away Day to Londonderry!" Back in the day would change the attitude,approach to life ....Failing that  Confusis say "Birch the iligimates"
And their parents also of questionable parentage should have been made to do National Service , and it's not all "Town" fans.
UTM

An Exile and Proud  !! UTM
Mariners Trust Life Member.
In the words of my Uncle Fred "You can take the man outta of Grimsby BUT  you can't take the Grimsby!  Out the man!"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 71
sam gy
February 4, 2024, 9:49am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.33
Rep Score: +18 / -3
Approval: +5,478
Gold Stars: 56
So many nobheads out yesterday. And old blokes in their 50s acting like the pied piper. So embarrassing.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 71
HerveJosse
February 4, 2024, 9:57am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.88
Rep Score: +6 / -3
Approval: +1,205
Gold Stars: 144
Attention seeking. Ignore and move away . Back in the day had crumbling terracing thrown at us at Valley Parade  bottles thrown at roof at OSG so that glass rained down and mate pummelled and in hospital at the Baseball Ground . You really did have concerns for your safety in those days today it’s just annoying
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 71
It Bites
February 4, 2024, 10:08am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.46
Rep Score: +4 / -10
Approval: +2,208
Gold Stars: 266
Simpletons are a drain on society on so many levels . I’ll be glad when conscription starts again , we’ll see how brave they are then , cannon fodder
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 71
BobbyCummingsTackle
February 4, 2024, 10:25am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.54
Rep Score: +8 / -4
Location: Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right, stuck in the middle...
Approval: +7,301
Gold Stars: 307
We have to call them out. They are like sheep, they all think that their behaviour is acceptable/funny/ hard because the group all acts the same. They need to be shown that they are acting like c*nts and need to stop.

If a group of Town supporting fully grown adults gave them a gob full and threatened them with a proper pasting they'd act very differently.

Miss Scunthorpe. Not a beauty pageant, just sound advice.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 71
livosnose
February 4, 2024, 10:39am
Whiskey Drinker
Rep Score: +14 / -9
Approval: +1,176
Gold Stars: 15
I remember a very very cold Gateshead away ( we lost 1 nil ) and said hard boys queuing up to warm their hands in the toilets at half time……well hard

[img][/img]
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 71
TownSNAFU5
February 4, 2024, 10:57am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +30 / -21
Approval: +6,906
Gold Stars: 42
They won’t be reading these sensible comments.  Probably sold their phones for drugs, have no concentration span and can’t read anyway due to missing too much schooling.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 71
ska face
February 4, 2024, 11:02am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -14
Approval: +21,774
Gold Stars: 851
Quoted from TownSNAFU5
They won’t be reading these sensible comments.  Probably sold their phones for drugs, have no concentration span and can’t read anyway due to missing too much schooling

Yes lots of sensible comments on here - send them to Derry, conscript everyone, national service, birch them. Presumably behaviour amongst young idiots was much better back in the 70s and 80s when teachers could batter kids or you could stick a gun in their hand and send them overseas? Oh…maybe not.

Could always consider why some people feel the need to smash 10 cans in a 2hour journey, or treat service staff like shíte. Might require a bit more introspection for some though.
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 71
dapperz fun pub
February 4, 2024, 11:09am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.59
Rep Score: +37 / -6
Approval: +10,048
Gold Stars: 84
Just for a bit of balance I normally go to Lincoln on the urine for a day around Xmas , get that last train back is a experience to make footy fans look tame , same coming back from Donny races it’s the culture of this country.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 71
male private Nale
February 4, 2024, 11:41am
Table Wine Drinker
Quoted from It Bites
Simpletons are a drain on society on so many levels . I’ll be glad when conscription starts again , we’ll see how brave they are then , cannon fodder

Sounds like you a believer in Eugenics ?

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 71
LH
February 4, 2024, 11:53am

Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +30 / -13
Approval: +18,596
Gold Stars: 175
It’s a debate for the non football board but it’s always interesting to see how popular conscription is amongst those i) too old for it and ii) who didn’t volunteer to serve when they were of the age that would be called up for it. The forces wouldn’t want the hooligan groups anyway.
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 71
Azimuth
February 4, 2024, 12:29pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.18
Rep Score: +3 / -4
Approval: +709
Gold Stars: 61
Quoted from HerveJosse
Attention seeking. Ignore and move away . Back in the day had crumbling terracing thrown at us at Valley Parade  bottles thrown at roof at OSG so that glass rained down and mate pummelled and in hospital at the Baseball Ground . You really did have concerns for your safety in those days today it’s just annoying

I remember at Millmore cups of urine being thrown over the back of a home stand onto us making our way along the walkway to the away end below and a Police horse standing on a town supporters foot.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 71
ska face
February 4, 2024, 12:35pm

Vodka Drinker
Just for a bit of balance, this was nice to come across yesterday -

Tweet 1753768282350645744 will appear here...

Just before the geriatrics on here starting rounding young kids up.
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 71
grimps
February 4, 2024, 1:00pm
balderdash
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.79
Rep Score: +21 / -19
Approval: +5,146
Gold Stars: 46
Quoted from LH
It’s a debate for the non football board but it’s always interesting to see how popular conscription is amongst those i) too old for it and ii) who didn’t volunteer to serve when they were of the age that would be called up for it. The forces wouldn’t want the hooligan groups anyway.

This is always spouted after football related incidents.
I remember years ago when 40-50 fans were arrested after a fight Vs Scunthorpe around 7-8 of the people arrested were  serving in the forces of ex forces .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 71
JK47
February 4, 2024, 1:06pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.80
Rep Score: +2 / 0
Approval: +221
Gold Stars: 3
Quoted from HerveJosse

Used to happen at Wembley when folks would lob bottles down from the top of the steps.  It's society I'm afraid.  I believe that it's folks who are suddenly free from the ties of home/mother/wife/father.  Seen it in France.  Brits get off the boat who wouldn't speed (too much!) on their local road - straight up to 100 kph on a 50 kph road.  One bloke from the City of London in an Audi caught doing 250kph on a motorway instead of sticking to somewhere near the 130kph he was allowed anyway.  It's all a demonstrable lack of maturity.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 71
Mappers
February 4, 2024, 1:33pm
Champagne Drinker
Quoted from JK47

Used to happen at Wembley when folks would lob bottles down from the top of the steps.  It's society I'm afraid.  I believe that it's folks who are suddenly free from the ties of home/mother/wife/father.  Seen it in France.  Brits get off the boat who wouldn't speed (too much!) on their local road - straight up to 100 kph on a 50 kph road.  One bloke from the City of London in an Audi caught doing 250kph on a motorway instead of sticking to somewhere near the 130kph he was allowed anyway.  It's all a demonstrable lack of maturity.

Best thing they did at footy ,music gigs etc was change from glass bottles /pint glasses to plastic cups because at least the worst that is going to happen is you get wet .
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 71
Dave Gilberts Left Peg
February 4, 2024, 4:59pm
Snakebite drinker
Rep Score: +2 / -5
Approval: -158
Gold Stars: 78
Quoted from It Bites

Melt of the week

Only the dead have seen the end of war
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 71
Dave Gilberts Left Peg
February 4, 2024, 5:12pm
Snakebite drinker
Rep Score: +2 / -5
Approval: -158
Gold Stars: 78
Quoted from LH

What do you know about serving, apart from in the local chip shop?

Only the dead have seen the end of war
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 71
WOZOFGRIMSBY
February 4, 2024, 5:22pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.74
Rep Score: +66 / -22
Approval: +8,979
Gold Stars: 184
An "Away Day to Londonderry!" Back in the day would change the attitude,approach to life ....Failing that  Confusis say "Birch the iligimates"
And their parents also of questionable parentage should have been made to do National Service , and it's not all "Town" fans.
UTM

Not sure what you mean by your opening line. I’ll put it down as sheer ignorance

Rose is on fire

And your scotch eggs are fu(king vile
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 71
FishySmithy
February 4, 2024, 5:41pm
Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.11
Approval: +36
Gold Stars: 3
Quoted from ska face
Just for a bit of balance, this was nice to come across yesterday -

Tweet 1753768282350645744 will appear here...

Just before the geriatrics on here starting rounding young kids up.

Love how everyone is quick to jump on the negatives, yet fail to commend this action 👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻 high probability that some of those people also assisted in this, top stuff.

Those quick to judge or throw caveman comments about shame on you, your no better than what you have described as poor behaviour.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 71
It Bites
February 4, 2024, 6:08pm
Champagne Drinker
Quoted from FishySmithy

Love how everyone is quick to jump on the negatives, yet fail to commend this action 👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻 high probability that some of those people also assisted in this, top stuff.

Those quick to judge or throw caveman comments about shame on you, your no better than what you have described as poor behaviour.

Ok mate ok
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 71
February 4, 2024, 6:15pm
Guest User
Quoted from livosnose
I remember a very very cold Gateshead away ( we lost 1 nil ) and said hard boys queuing up to warm their hands in the toilets at half time……well hard

January 2016 I think. Absolutely Baltic.
Reply: 36 - 71
barrattstandman
February 4, 2024, 6:26pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.14
Rep Score: +4 / -2
Approval: +483
Gold Stars: 17
Quoted from male private Nale

Well said

I assume you are one of the male privates with that attitude
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 71
February 4, 2024, 6:33pm
Guest User
Forest fans in their 30s and 40s are the worst I've come across in the last few seasons. Old enough to know much better.

I travelled on another train where a young Wednesday lad in a group was singing a song about how they'd beaten Barnsley in the play-off final. There was a group of older and rather useful looking Barnsley fans in the same carriage and he was told to 'shut the **** up' in no uncertain terms which was a better outcome for him than I thought he was going to get.

A few minutes later he went up to them and apologised. I spoke to him sometime later and he said he'd been daft! Decent lad actually. The Barnsley lads were okay too. Probably let him off because of his age and he didn't have to say sorry for winding them up but did.

Thought it was going to be another occasion where BTP were going to board and delay the train but thankfully not.
Reply: 38 - 71
The Caterham Mariner
February 4, 2024, 7:33pm
Exile and Proud..
Snakebite drinker
Quoted from WOZOFGRIMSBY

Not sure what you mean by your opening line. I’ll put it down as sheer ignorance

Certainly not ignorant thank you and well qualified
To comment

In the words of my Uncle Fred "You can take the man outta of Grimsby BUT  you can't take the Grimsby!  Out the man!"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 71
Lincoln Mariner 56
February 4, 2024, 7:56pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +23 / -4
Approval: +7,764
Gold Stars: 81
Quoted from Yarborough Vaults

Have to agree with you many of us go through this teenage gang culture. We all wore Ben Sherman shirts, stay press trousers and Crombie coats and sang how we loved Harry Robert’s because he killed coppers. Now approaching 70 you cringe at how you behaved and having been arrested more than once the shame you bring on your family. But I matured, got a degree, a Masters degree and was Director of HR in public and private sector companies.

Hopefully most of these lads will turn out like the majority of my generation but a few, as always, will fall foul of the law and spend a significant part of their lives the wrong side of the law.

I get it’s now annoying behaviour to the majority but as teenagers you don’t really care or understand. Wish I hadn’t been a male private in those years, mostly for my mum, but it was exciting and for many part of growing up. Older people regularly spoke to me about my behaviour and eventually it does sink in so don’t be confrontational with them but a quiet word here and there might get them to start realising you can enjoy being a teenager without the crap behaviour.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 71
Mappers
February 4, 2024, 9:56pm
Champagne Drinker
Quoted from Lincoln Mariner 56

Have to agree with you many of us go through this teenage gang culture. We all wore Ben Sherman shirts, stay press trousers and Crombie coats and sang how we loved Harry Robert’s because he killed coppers. Now approaching 70 you cringe at how you behaved and having been arrested more than once the shame you bring on your family. But I matured, got a degree, a Masters degree and was Director of HR in public and private sector companies.

Hopefully most of these lads will turn out like the majority of my generation but a few, as always, will fall foul of the law and spend a significant part of their lives the wrong side of the law.

I get it’s now annoying behaviour to the majority but as teenagers you don’t really care or understand. Wish I hadn’t been a male private in those years, mostly for my mum, but it was exciting and for many part of growing up. Older people regularly spoke to me about my behaviour and eventually it does sink in so don’t be confrontational with them but a quiet word here and there might get them to start realising you can enjoy being a teenager without the crap behaviour.

Good point , it's like when you get pi*sed off with your kids or they do something wrong  , I always try and think 'what was I like ?' In a lot of the situations no better no worse . No doubt some of the ones misbehaving will get a wake up call at some point or wake up  and get on the right track , sadly some won't but it's not just football fans in this regard is it .
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 71
Maringer
February 4, 2024, 10:14pm
Barley Wine Drinker
I never went through the Stone Island/acting like dickheads stage and neither did any of my friends. Now, we went out every weekend on the lash (still do decades later, though much less frequently!), but pretty much never got involved in any sort of a scuffle and the incredibly rare occasions there was any trouble, it was always forced on us. I've never acted like a twit on the train either. On the other hand, I've been threatened/menaced a few times by quite a few dickheads for no real reason. More often in Cleethorpes/Grimsby than not, but that's not surprising as I've been out here so much more than elsewhere!

Regarding the football, I've been to probably 40+ grounds to watch Town play (Torquay southernmost, Sunderland farthest north). Never got into any trouble, though I've been threatened a few times, obviously. Once or twice by drunk up Town fans as well, I seem to recall.

Not sure if it's because I had a pretty stable upbringing (as, I'd imagine did most of my friends) and didn't see any sort of violence or braggadocio at home, but I've never felt the urge to 'act up' after some beers in the way that some people do.

Life would be much better for everyone (including the folk acting like dickheads), if they could control themselves a bit better, or at least not use booze as an excuse to act the male private.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 71
WOZOFGRIMSBY
February 4, 2024, 10:57pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.74
Rep Score: +66 / -22
Approval: +8,979
Gold Stars: 184

Certainly not ignorant thank you and well qualified
To comment

Serving or living??

Rose is on fire

And your scotch eggs are fu(king vile
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 71
It Bites
February 5, 2024, 7:14am
Champagne Drinker

Conscription or Your Job ? It’s a huge difference
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 71
The Caterham Mariner
February 5, 2024, 8:07am
Exile and Proud..
Snakebite drinker
Quoted from WOZOFGRIMSBY

Serving or living??

Ok then yes i will answer your question but first
Ask this thread to moved to "non footie".
Also offer up a public apology to you on this forum
If my comment(s) ,phrases caused any offence.

The term " Away day to Londonderry " a book title in itself comes from when i served over there, the first tour which over time of 22 years equates to 5 and 1/2 years.
Part of our "Op's cycle" on a 2 year tour was wait for it
Another phrase "Rent a Company" or "Martini Company = Anytime Any where"  one day we went into a briefing  when one of the lads called out that "Away day" phrase, which a load of us laughed then got told  to shut up.
The memory of that never left me and others when we meet up .
So when i started reading this thread and comments
Thinking of the state of our present Armed Forces  The Royal Navy struggling to maintain a fleet and the army having recruiting and retention problems.
I don't  like the word conscription  prefer
National Service would be a way of changing the fabric of the nations attitude and approach to life is the way i would put , not like the old fellahs would say"Knock some sense into ya!"
I know from experience  it will not work or suit everybody as some are non compatible to military training /life,so there you go after all that!!
UTM

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 71
The Caterham Mariner
February 5, 2024, 8:07am
Exile and Proud..
Snakebite drinker
Quoted from WOZOFGRIMSBY

Serving or living??

Ok then yes i will answer your question but first
Ask this thread to moved to "non footie".
Also offer up a public apology to you on this forum
If my comment(s) ,phrases caused any offence.

The term " Away day to Londonderry " a book title in itself comes from when i served over there, the first tour which over time of 22 years equates to 5 and 1/2 years.
Part of our "Op's cycle" on a 2 year tour was wait for it
Another phrase "Rent a Company" or "Martini Company = Anytime Any where"  one day we went into a briefing  when one of the lads called out that "Away day" phrase, which a load of us laughed then got told  to shut up.
The memory of that never left me and others when we meet up .
So when i started reading this thread and comments
Thinking of the state of our present Armed Forces  The Royal Navy struggling to maintain a fleet and the army having recruiting and retention problems.
I don't  like the word conscription  prefer
National Service would be a way of changing the fabric of the nations attitude and approach to life is the way i would put , not like the old fellahs would say"Knock some sense into ya!"
I know from experience  it will not work or suit everybody as some are non compatible to military training /life,so there you go after all that!!
UTM

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 71
February 5, 2024, 8:10am
Guest User

Probably a lot more than you.  A few of us on this forum have 'walked the walk' several times in N Ireland.

Reply: 47 - 71
The Caterham Mariner
February 5, 2024, 8:14am
Exile and Proud..
Snakebite drinker
Quoted from It Bites

Conscription or Your Job ? It’s a huge difference

Yes time to move this thread before it gets to  "catty"
Hence my long answer plus apology to WozofGrimsby" reply .

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 48 - 71
Maringer
February 5, 2024, 8:32am
Barley Wine Drinker
Some countries have compulsory national service. In general, the ones that share borders with Russia or are close to them!

My sister lived in Finland for a decade and had a Finnish boyfriend for a lot at that time. He was, I think, a territorial lieutenant (perhaps even a captain?) from his national service and I have a feeling he was required to go on refresher exercises to for a few weeks from time to time. Obviously, this is entirely within the culture due to the country's history, so his bosses just covered his job while he was out on exercises.

With the Russians back to more than sabre-rattling, it might well be necessary for us to bring back a limited amount of national service to prepare for potential future conflict. Though, it will probably be swarms of drones controlled by AI which will determine future wars, if Ukraine is anything to go by.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 49 - 71
male private Nale
February 5, 2024, 9:50am
Table Wine Drinker
Quoted from 123614

Probably a lot more than you.  A few of us on this forum have 'walked the walk' several times in N Ireland.

Way off the mark there Bear, not for the first time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 50 - 71
February 5, 2024, 10:58am
Guest User

Way off the mark there Bear, not for the first time

You really do post rubbish on here!

Reply: 51 - 71
friskneymariner
February 5, 2024, 12:00pm

Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +15 / -4
Approval: +4,154
Gold Stars: 38
Quoted from 123614

And we don't continually go banging on about it.

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day,teach a man to fish and you give him an excuse for him to escape from the wife and kids for the weekend and drink lots of beer.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 52 - 71
Kris2
February 5, 2024, 12:39pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.65
Rep Score: +16 / -18
Approval: +2,632
Quoted from friskneymariner

Oh some ex-squaddies will go on forever about that...."Oh God....I almost died....Life was so hard torturing the locals and threatening children throwing stones at us with guns!". Still I suppose you were in more danger than the chap in the Navy currently who when he's not pointlessly lounging around the Falklands so it can be defended from nothing, is probably pressing the kill button 200 miles away in the ocean to flatten half of Yemen. At least you looked those children in the eyes first.  
Private Message
Reply: 53 - 71
February 5, 2024, 12:47pm
Guest User

You think that's what I do? I probably mentioned it 3 times, usually in a response to someone else post.

Reply: 54 - 71
male private Nale
February 5, 2024, 1:48pm
Table Wine Drinker
Quoted from 123614

You think that's what I do? I probably mentioned it 3 times, usually in a response to someone else post.

Always the victim aren't you Bear, sure you're not scouse?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 55 - 71
February 5, 2024, 2:30pm
Guest User

Always the victim aren't you Bear, sure you're not scouse?

You know what, I've had enough of the garbage you spout, you need to grow up.....BLOCKED!

Reply: 56 - 71
Humbercod
February 5, 2024, 4:43pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +9 / -9
Approval: -3,500
Gold Stars: 82
Quoted from Maringer
Some countries have compulsory national service. In general, the ones that share borders with Russia or are close to them!

My sister lived in Finland for a decade and had a Finnish boyfriend for a lot at that time. He was, I think, a territorial lieutenant (perhaps even a captain?) from his national service and I have a feeling he was required to go on refresher exercises to for a few weeks from time to time. Obviously, this is entirely within the culture due to the country's history, so his bosses just covered his job while he was out on exercises.

With the Russians back to more than sabre-rattling, it might well be necessary for us to bring back a limited amount of national service to prepare for potential future conflict. Though, it will probably be swarms of drones controlled by AI which will determine future wars, if Ukraine is anything to go by.

Russia sabre-rattling… think we need to look at ourselves first!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 57 - 71
chaos33
February 5, 2024, 5:46pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,998
Gold Stars: 362
Quoted from 123614

You know what, I've had enough of the garbage you spout, you need to grow up.....BLOCKED!

The ‘Irony-o-meter’ breaks into pieces yet again.

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 58 - 71
February 5, 2024, 6:48pm
Guest User
Quoted from chaos33

The ‘Irony-o-meter’ breaks into pieces yet again.

Stop following other people mate, that's what a lot of people do here.  Try to think up something yourself.

Reply: 59 - 71
February 5, 2024, 6:54pm
Guest User

Notice how people jump on me and not on the person who brought the subject up in the first place?  And this is not 'playing the victim', it's stating facts!  Some of you are just trolls that jump on the bandwagon because you think it makes you look good.  Pathetic.

Reply: 60 - 71
chaos33
February 5, 2024, 7:05pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,998
Gold Stars: 362
Quoted from 123614

Stop following other people mate, that's what a lot of people do here.  Try to think up something yourself.

You’ve just told someone to ‘grow up’ and then typed the word ‘blocked’ in capitals like a raging teen on Instagram.
Typing ‘blocked’ angrily, like that’s really going to ‘burn’ your ‘adversary’ is the equivalent to sticking your fingers in your ears, closing your eyes and going ‘ner….ner….ner……I’m not listening’. In anyone’s book,  an ironically childish spectacle.
Oh, and it’s also playing the victim. It just is.

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 61 - 71
supertown
February 5, 2024, 7:18pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.90
Rep Score: +25 / -9
Approval: +3,470
Gold Stars: 53
Play nicely children 🤨
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 62 - 71
Humbercod
February 5, 2024, 7:24pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +9 / -9
Approval: -3,500
Gold Stars: 82
I’ve know a quite a few soldiers over the years that quite enjoyed a good row at the football. One even told me once that he gets more action at the football, saying that in his experience when he’s been on the battlefield, he’s been firing from far away, that he’s doesn’t even know if he’s ever killed anyone.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 63 - 71
thefish
February 5, 2024, 7:59pm

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.17
Rep Score: +14 / -1
Approval: +2,255
Gold Stars: 67
Quoted from supertown
Play nicely children 🤨

I think they are, mate… they’re just playing armies 🤷‍♂️
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 64 - 71
February 6, 2024, 8:03am
Guest User
Quoted from chaos33

You’ve just told someone to ‘grow up’ and then typed the word ‘blocked’ in capitals like a raging teen on Instagram.
Typing ‘blocked’ angrily, like that’s really going to ‘burn’ your ‘adversary’ is the equivalent to sticking your fingers in your ears, closing your eyes and going ‘ner….ner….ner……I’m not listening’. In anyone’s book,  an ironically childish spectacle.
Oh, and it’s also playing the victim. It just is.

Grow up!

Reply: 65 - 71
VinnyGTFC
February 6, 2024, 8:18am
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.09
Rep Score: +3 / -5
Approval: +146
Gold Stars: 21
Quoted from Humbercod
I’ve know a quite a few soldiers over the years that quite enjoyed a good row at the football. One even told me once that he gets more action at the football, saying that in his experience when he’s been on the battlefield, he’s been firing from far away, that he’s doesn’t even know if he’s ever killed anyone.

This has got to be one of the most peculiar and full of crap posts I've ever seen on a football forum
Private Message
Reply: 66 - 71
forza ivano
February 6, 2024, 11:46am

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.46
Rep Score: +72 / -20
Approval: +15,282
MODS can't we block this thread, it's non football and getting supremely infantile
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 67 - 71
rancido
February 6, 2024, 12:06pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,653
Gold Stars: 100
Quoted from Kris2

Oh some ex-squaddies will go on forever about that...."Oh God....I almost died....Life was so hard torturing the locals and threatening children throwing stones at us with guns!". Still I suppose you were in more danger than the chap in the Navy currently who when he's not pointlessly lounging around the Falklands so it can be defended from nothing, is probably pressing the kill button 200 miles away in the ocean to flatten half of Yemen. At least you looked those children in the eyes first.  

So children throwing stones isn't a danger to the security forces trying to maintain law and order in what, as far as the IRA were concerned, was war and a battle zone? It was intentionally used as a distraction by the IRA and you must be very naive to think otherwise. So how do you feel about children throwing stones at the police, fire service and ambulance drivers who are only trying to do their job?

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 68 - 71
ska face
February 6, 2024, 12:10pm

Vodka Drinker
I’m led to believe that some of the young town fans on Saturday were throwing stones, which appears to have been a distraction technique to allow their older colleagues to launch a more devastating attack.

The only solution, from what I can see, is to have all those involved shot or carpet bombed using F16s.

Sad it has come to this, football must do better.
Private Message
Reply: 69 - 71
ancientmariner54
February 6, 2024, 2:35pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.09
Rep Score: +3 / 0
Approval: -174
Gold Stars: 13
Quoted from ska face
I’m led to believe that some of the young town fans on Saturday were throwing stones, which appears to have been a distraction technique to allow their older colleagues to launch a more devastating attack.

The only solution, from what I can see, is to have all those involved shot or carpet bombed using F16s.

Carpet bombings o.k. in my opinion, it's rugs on a slippery floor that you need to watch out for .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 70 - 71
rancido
February 6, 2024, 4:18pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,653
Gold Stars: 100
Quoted from ska face

It's easy to be flippant about the problems that occurred in N.I but I have a friend who was injured and saw his best friend killed in an ambush by the IRA.

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 71 - 71
8 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Non Football › Embarrassed/ashamed

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.