arryarryarry
January 31, 2024, 12:19pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,045
Gold Stars: 116
Quoted from LocalLadGTFC

' the playing budget might be bigger but perhaps it's not enough ' Well then maybe supporting Grimsby Town isn't for you mate? We aren't Manchester City and nor would I ever want to be. I'd much rather be as we are, the aim for sustainability. Jason and Andrew know they aren't going to be around forever so that when they pass the club on it's a lot more of an attractive prospect to the next owner rather than being riddled with benign loans. Notts County have a massive budget, the owners decide tomorrow they no longer want to invest in the club, what happens then? The club is likely going bust because nobody is coming in to save a club with millions of pounds of debt. Look at the club down the road mate, literally right on our doorstep. We was so very close to going the same way. Yes we are pereniall strugglers in the past 20 years, however this ownership have been in charge for 3 years. We got promoted the first season with probably the best playoff run you'll ever see, we had our best FL finish since 2005/6 and reached the quarter finals of the FA cup. I think context is very much needed here, at the start of the season not a single person had us sitting bottom half, quite a few had us in the play offs and not a single person was bemoaning about any lack of budget. Not even the experts that cover lower league on Twitter had us bottom half, something went wrong and they made the decision to sack Hurst to fix that problem. Artell has come in, he's not Pep. He's given us an identity of playing, some like it some don't. He's not a miracle worker however and there's a reason these players got the clubs best manager this side of the 21st century sacked. So the fact the board are getting any stick is quite alarming, I wish people held Fenty to this sort of accord because you can have a pop at them all you want over certain things, investment isn't one of them. We've had 2 very good years in the grand scheme of things and this is very much an outlier in there tenure here.

I assume you haven't been a fan of GTFC or a member of this forum for long but for years now JF was the anti-christ on here.
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 32
AncientExiledMariner
January 31, 2024, 12:23pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.52
Rep Score: +8 / -2
Approval: +516
Gold Stars: 59
Quoted from denni266
Its a sad thing when reading this forum is more entertaining than the action down on the pitch. Never seen so many so called  all town arnt we  argueing  name calling  . It seems every thread there is fallouts  and name calling. I dread to think what the players think ,and we know some of them will read it . Debaiting whats wrong or right is fine but to be honest it realy is can of pop and popcorn time when logging on . It needs to calm down .  We all know we need better players and they cost and we dont have the money .The new owners have spent a lot of their own money but say they are not shelling out any more and the club basically has to be self sustainable. Most understand that but it means we cannot get the players that we need.. So it is what it is right now.  

Do you have zero self-awareness? The things you threw at Hurst, the drama you started, and the negativity you sewed, you are not one to lecture anyone. Mind you, since Hurst went, you've been less insufferable, even quite positive and it's surprising. However, you cannot just focus on being a positive influence on this board when you get the man you want.

I on the other hand will support Artell, like I supported Hurst (and I was one of the last there), because I support my team through thick and thin and chopping and changing managers every 5 minutes does not help and will not solve the problems with a squad in major need of structural improvements.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 32
MuddyWaters
January 31, 2024, 12:28pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,244
Gold Stars: 235
Quoted from LocalLadGTFC

But we aren't standing still, the club is in a much better place than it was when they took over, wouldn't you agree? I understand the whole point about the on field product being the most important thing but I think we'd all agree that the past two seasons were very successful. Yes this season is a massive disappointment but look at the NL season, we was in a massive rut and they got it right by sticking with Hurst. They quite clearly felt a change is now needed and have chosen Artell as the right man. JS and AP give Hurst a budget and he's spent it poorly, that's not down to the owners but to say we are standing still is very much untrue, the club is now a modern day football club. Just look at Charles Vernams comments in the summer about the difference in the place since he left to now.. it's night and day. I trust the owners have made the right choice in Artell because I can see with my eyes the changes he's made line up with the comments he made when he joined, we are trying to play football. He can quite clearly see the weaknesses and I trust him to get it right. He's got a good track record to back that up with his work at Crewe on a much smaller budget and he's quite clearly a good coach based on the players that team produced but he needs time, it won't take 9 weeks and it certainly won't happen with this set of players.

Fair enough - I notice you don't mention relegation which, at the very least, is a possibility. Would you give the owners and the manager a free pass if the unthinkable happened?
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 32
lew chaterleys lover
January 31, 2024, 12:37pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,712
Gold Stars: 237
Quoted from LocalLadGTFC

' the playing budget might be bigger but perhaps it's not enough ' Well then maybe supporting Grimsby Town isn't for you mate? We aren't Manchester City and nor would I ever want to be. I'd much rather be as we are, the aim for sustainability. Jason and Andrew know they aren't going to be around forever so that when they pass the club on it's a lot more of an attractive prospect to the next owner rather than being riddled with benign loans. Notts County have a massive budget, the owners decide tomorrow they no longer want to invest in the club, what happens then? The club is likely going bust because nobody is coming in to save a club with millions of pounds of debt. Look at the club down the road mate, literally right on our doorstep. We was so very close to going the same way. Yes we are pereniall strugglers in the past 20 years, however this ownership have been in charge for 3 years. We got promoted the first season with probably the best playoff run you'll ever see, we had our best FL finish since 2005/6 and reached the quarter finals of the FA cup. I think context is very much needed here, at the start of the season not a single person had us sitting bottom half, quite a few had us in the play offs and not a single person was bemoaning about any lack of budget. Not even the experts that cover lower league on Twitter had us bottom half, something went wrong and they made the decision to sack Hurst to fix that problem. Artell has come in, he's not Pep. He's given us an identity of playing, some like it some don't. He's not a miracle worker however and there's a reason these players got the clubs best manager this side of the 21st century sacked. So the fact the board are getting any stick is quite alarming, I wish people held Fenty to this sort of accord because you can have a pop at them all you want over certain things, investment isn't one of them. We've had 2 very good years in the grand scheme of things and this is very much an outlier in there tenure here.

Steady on tiger. I have been fanatically supporting the Mariners for 65 of my 69 years and I wouldn't have missed the other 4 had I had any say in the matter.

It's just people discussing our current travails and nobody means any harm and obviously there will be a wide range of views. We know they have done a lot of good things.
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 32
lew chaterleys lover
January 31, 2024, 12:43pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,712
Gold Stars: 237
Quoted from 123614

I'm not doubting your word but the last thing I saw JS say anything about investors was at the Fans Forum, where he said there were no investors interested at that moment.  Where did he say that we don't need investors?

It's quite a while ago when I was on the way to an evening game and RH asked if new investment was coming into the club. He said something like they had received offers of help but didn't need it yet.
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 32
forza ivano
January 31, 2024, 1:06pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.46
Rep Score: +72 / -20
Approval: +15,176
Gold Stars: 265

It's quite a while ago when I was on the way to an evening game and RH asked if new investment was coming into the club. He said something like they had received offers of help but didn't need it yet.

yes, he said that in the early days, and has been steadfast that they will only look for investors who have the 'right' attributes
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 32
rancido
January 31, 2024, 1:37pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,572
Gold Stars: 96
Quoted from forza ivano

yes, he said that in the early days, and has been steadfast that they will only look for investors who have the 'right' attributes

e.g unlike the dodgy character that The Leech tried to get on board.

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 32
denni266
January 31, 2024, 1:41pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.83
Rep Score: +13 / -22
Approval: +705
Gold Stars: 132

Do you have zero self-awareness? The things you threw at Hurst, the drama you started, and the negativity you sewed, you are not one to lecture anyone. Mind you, since Hurst went, you've been less insufferable, even quite positive and it's surprising. However, you cannot just focus on being a positive influence on this board when you get the man you want.

I on the other hand will support Artell, like I supported Hurst (and I was one of the last there), because I support my team through thick and thin and chopping and changing managers every 5 minutes does not help and will not solve the problems with a squad in major need of structural improvements.

Thank you for folowing my posts so closely,  Think you will find i did not start the moaning about Hurst but i did post when i thought it needed it, And i was right about him as it turned out but that will be passed over i guess no matter.. And i think you will find that i posted i did not join in with the Artell out thread stating that it was too early to think like that  for many reasons. at this moent in time
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 32
Lincoln Mariner 56
January 31, 2024, 1:42pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +23 / -4
Approval: +7,688
Gold Stars: 79
Quoted from rancido

e.g unlike the dodgy character that The Leech tried to get on board.

Seems only dodgy characters are interested then, shame
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 32
January 31, 2024, 1:42pm
Guest User

Was that before or after the Fans Forum.

Reply: 29 - 32
4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Oh Dear

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.