6 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
LocalLadGTFC
January 26, 2024, 5:49pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.37
Rep Score: +9 / -2
Approval: +4,211
Gold Stars: 137
Bruce has sparked a real interesting debate on twitter about how many legends you consider the club to have and what defines the word ' club legend ' . Interested to hear others thoughts on this on who you consider a legend and why? Tweet attatched below.

Tweet 1750935609500148024 will appear here...
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Lincoln Mariner 56
January 26, 2024, 5:55pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +23 / -4
Approval: +7,692
Gold Stars: 79
Well anyone my age will have Matt Tees up there. To add 5000 to the home gate was a reflection of the esteem we all had for him.

After that add Joe Waters, Tony Ford, Bob Cumming and Kevin Moore for what they achieved at the club and the number of appearances they made during that successful period.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 55
Lincoln Mariner 56
January 26, 2024, 5:57pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +23 / -4
Approval: +7,692
Gold Stars: 79
Quoted from Lincoln Mariner 56
Well anyone my age will have Matt Tees up there. To add 5000 to the home gate was a reflection of the esteem we all had for him.

After that add Joe Waters, Tony Ford, Bob Cumming and Kevin Moore for what they achieved at the club and the number of appearances they made during that successful period.

Forgot Dave Boylen apologises Dave.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 55
HertsGTFC
January 26, 2024, 5:57pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,930
Gold Stars: 228
Quoted from Lincoln Mariner 56

That can’t be argued with 👍

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 55
Mikey_345
January 26, 2024, 6:02pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.31
Rep Score: +11 / -1
Approval: +5,383
Gold Stars: 106
Depends on how you define the term. For me though during my time watching town since 2005 - McDermott, Disley, Pearson and McKeown would be mine.

However if you’d watched town since the 70’s and 80’s only really Macca gets on your list.

All Town aren’t we

@GTFCLondon

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 55
Saudimariner
January 26, 2024, 6:58pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.04
Rep Score: +1 / 0
Approval: +304
Gold Stars: 9
Matt Tees,without a doubt.  Best header of a ball I've ever seen
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 55
jimgtfc
January 26, 2024, 7:02pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.64
Rep Score: +22 / -5
Approval: +5,086
Gold Stars: 45
Came across this a few months back, hard to argue with the names on it. Not sure the likes of McKeown, Pearson etc should be listed as legends.

https://www.colossusbets.com/blog/the-greatest-grimsby-town-players-of-all-time/

"Falls to Arnold... Arnold! That's it! Thats it! He's sealed it! Grimsby Town are back in the football league!!! Just a minute to go and Nathan Arnold makes it 3-1! Look at the scenes behind the goal! Look at the relief! The agony is finally over!!!"

John Tondeur - Wembley Stadium Sunday 15th May 2016
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 55
LocalLadGTFC
January 26, 2024, 7:10pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.37
Rep Score: +9 / -2
Approval: +4,211
Gold Stars: 137
Quoted from jimgtfc
Came across this a few months back, hard to argue with the names on it. Not sure the likes of McKeown, Pearson etc should be listed as legends.

https://www.colossusbets.com/blog/the-greatest-grimsby-town-players-of-all-time/

I think that's very subjective though, I was born in 96. I was too young to remember 98. From what I can remember, the only good season we've had in the FL is 05. Every other season since has been terrible mixed with NL success. So what I constitute to be a club legend will be a lot different to others.. For me Mckeown, Pearson and Disley were the 3 big signings that changed the trajectory of the club. We was at our lowest after having many players coming in for one last pay check. All 3 very rarely missed a game, helped within the local community and live in the area. To me those 3, Mcdermott and Dave Moore are club legends.
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 7 - 55
jimgtfc
January 26, 2024, 7:15pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.64
Rep Score: +22 / -5
Approval: +5,086
Gold Stars: 45
I think that’s the difference between ‘club legends’ and maybe fan’s favourites. For me a legend is someone loved by the club no matter when they played. A fan’s favourite is exactly that, someone in your era you’ve witnessed playing.

"Falls to Arnold... Arnold! That's it! Thats it! He's sealed it! Grimsby Town are back in the football league!!! Just a minute to go and Nathan Arnold makes it 3-1! Look at the scenes behind the goal! Look at the relief! The agony is finally over!!!"

John Tondeur - Wembley Stadium Sunday 15th May 2016
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 55
Heswall Mariner
January 26, 2024, 7:15pm

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.66
Rep Score: +1 / 0
Approval: +590
Gold Stars: 30
Ron Rafferty for me.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 55
6 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Club Legends

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.