Users Browsing Forum

Club Legends

This thread currently has 3,150 views. Print
6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
January 26, 2024, 7:17pm
Guest User
Quoted from Saudimariner
Matt Tees,without a doubt.  Best header of a ball I've ever seen

93 goals for Town in his 196 games in two spells. Definitely a legend.

Would have won international caps for Scotland except for having the misfortune of being understudy to Denis Law.

I'd add the name Paul Groves to the list.
Reply: 10 - 55
It Bites
January 26, 2024, 7:30pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.45
Rep Score: +4 / -10
Approval: +2,205
Gold Stars: 265
Joe Waters
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 55
Captaincod
January 26, 2024, 7:35pm
Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.03
Approval: +247
Gold Stars: 15
I thought that list was bang on. Could possibly have included Kev Moore , brilliant for Town in my first year as a STH when we finished 5th in what would now be the championship. Him and Chris Nichols was the best centre back pairing I’ve ever seen for us. Also played 148 games for Southampton in what would now be the premier league.
It is all subjective , especially to younger fans. In my opinion there are heroes like Macatee , Pearson and Disley and the likes of Futch Livvo and Ivano in years gone by but a true legend contributes and achieves something  big with us over time and spans generations. I never got to see Matt Tees play but my dad still bangs on about him and says he’s the best player in the air he’s ever seen .  Will people still be saying in 40 years time what a good keeper Macca was ?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 55
LH
January 26, 2024, 7:40pm

Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +30 / -13
Approval: +18,528
Gold Stars: 173
My definition is quite wide. I think it can be judged on ability (for example, Glover), longevity (for example, McDermott) and attitude (for example, Disley) or a mixture of all three. Below those come iconic players (Waterfall and Amond of recent years) and then cult heroes (Terrys Fleming and Barwick).
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 55
Teesknees
January 26, 2024, 7:43pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.24
Rep Score: +9 / -2
Approval: +1,596
Gold Stars: 18
Quoted from Saudimariner
Matt Tees,without a doubt.  Best header of a ball I've ever seen

Agree and I know a Charlton fan who says the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 55
Mariner8
January 26, 2024, 7:46pm
Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.03
Rep Score: +1 / 0
Approval: -86
Two names that for me have to be included in the conversation of club legends are Shaun Tuton and Anthony Straker. Players that will go down in the history books and made memories that will last a lifetime.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 55
MuddyWaters
January 26, 2024, 7:47pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,256
Gold Stars: 236
Quoted from Captaincod
I thought that list was bang on. Could possibly have included Kev Moore , brilliant for Town in my first year as a STH when we finished 5th in what would now be the championship. Him and Chris Nichols was the best centre back pairing I’ve ever seen for us. Also played 148 games for Southampton in what would now be the premier league.
It is all subjective , especially to younger fans. In my opinion there are heroes like Macatee , Pearson and Disley and the likes of Futch Livvo and Ivano in years gone by but a true legend contributes and achieves something  big with us over time and spans generations. I never got to see Matt Tees play but my dad still bangs on about him and says he’s the best player in the air he’s ever seen .  Will people still be saying in 40 years time what a good keeper Macca was ?

In terms of goalkeepers, Macca probably wouldn't make the top three keepers I've seen for Town - in terms of quality, Trevor Whymark was the best footballer I've seen in black & white but possibly wasn't here long enough to be a legend.

If 'impact' is the criterion by which we are judging, it would probably narrow it down to Tees & Brace from the early 1970's, Waters then Kev Moore, Paul Futcher and John McDermott.
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 55
JK47
January 26, 2024, 7:49pm
Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.71
Rep Score: +2 / 0
Approval: +189
Gold Stars: 2
Quoted from Heswall Mariner
Ron Rafferty for me.

Agreed, and with him definitely some of the team he played with, including Johnny Scott - our only representative at a World Cup Finals!!!  Don Donvan, then Jimmy Fell - record transfer at the time, Graham Taylor - how many England managers have we had?  Then Charlie Wright, and Nigel Batch as goalies, No mention of Futch!  (What is the world coming to?)  Garry Birtles.  The problem is, we have had just TOO MANY legends for a short thread!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 55
Northbank Mariner
January 26, 2024, 8:14pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.75
Rep Score: +9 / -9
Approval: +7,472
Gold Stars: 171
Surely Tony Ford has to be talked about as a club legend....
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 55
Rodley Mariner
January 26, 2024, 8:20pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.36
Rep Score: +63 / -17
Approval: +13,239
Gold Stars: 177
Firstly it's a nonsense discussion as it's completely objective. However....for me I think longevity of memory is a big factor.So I'm not sure if McKeown will be particularly remembered in 50 years despite great service to the club but I suspect Gav Holahan might be for that night in Southampton.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 55
6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Club Legends

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.