Reply: 70 - 83
GollyGTFC
January 20, 2024, 6:00pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.68
Rep Score: +19 / -11
Approval: +5,962
Gold Stars: 356
We were on a direct train from Grantham to Harrogate and were hoping for a prompt announcement after 11:30. Unfortunately that didn’t happen and the OFF tweet was posted just as we pulled out of Leeds station.

So we got all the way to Harrogate. And we had a fixed return ticket on the 17:36 to Kings Cross.

We spent an enjoyable afternoon by having a Nandos for lunch and then going to the cinema to see One Life, which was excellent. I would recommend it to everyone.

We’re now on our way back to Grantham.
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 71 - 83
jamesgtfc
January 20, 2024, 6:13pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +12,963
Gold Stars: 190
Quoted from Mikey_345

Yes they are - however clubs should do more to keep people informed. Like we did last year stating we’d requested a pitch inspection.

If it was obvious yesterday it is their duty to inform match officials, see if they can get earlier inspections etc. It’s also good practice to keep fans informed, not a word from them until late this morning.

What rankles most is how many Tweets they fired out yesterday and their post this morning that the game was on! A bit of communication doesn't go amiss.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 72 - 83
barralad
January 20, 2024, 6:26pm
Mariners Trust
Posts Per Day: 2.32
Rep Score: +85 / -22
Approval: +9,290
Gold Stars: 126
Quoted from MuddyWaters
Just a gentle reminder that the same thing happened (in reverse) on the same weekend last year.

https://www.grimsbytelegraph.c.....postponement-8059000

It didn't though. The club warned both sets of fans on the Friday that there was little chance of the game being on BUT the referee had the final say. The referee chose to leave it until the very latest he could. I found out the game today was off at about 11.40. It took Harrogate another 20 minutes to announce it officially.

The aim of argument or discussion should not be victory but progress.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 73 - 83
IlkleyMariner
January 20, 2024, 6:37pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +12 / -1
Approval: +3,012
Gold Stars: 69
Harrogate Railway match was played. About 250 extra spectators than a normal game for them. Anyone know how many mariners were in the crowd?

Nice clubhouse for a pint or few….
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 74 - 83
Mikey_345
January 20, 2024, 6:47pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.31
Rep Score: +11 / -1
Approval: +5,383
Gold Stars: 106
Quoted from jamesgtfc

What rankles most is how many Tweets they fired out yesterday and their post this morning that the game was on! A bit of communication doesn't go amiss.

Exactly! I don’t mind whether beating games, not a lot you can do. Or giving as much chance as possible to get a game on - but give people some info about what’s happening.

All Town aren’t we

@GTFCLondon

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 75 - 83
vernontown
January 20, 2024, 7:37pm
Coke Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.02
Approval: +93
Gold Stars: 8
As a Knaresborough resident I'm in total disbelief that the ref called this off! Harrogate was cold but not the extremes seen in some places this week. It didn't freeze last night. Was 6 degrees at half 8 this morning. My garden was soft. Daughters horseriding the ground was soft. 7.5 degrees at 11am. Everywhere I've been in Harrogate it has been pleasant and grassy/muddy areas soft. At 1:30pm I was yards from the ground, it was pleasant and the grass verges etc were soft. How the pitch could be frozen and unplayable I genuinely can't fathom! Not the clubs fault, and you would assume they would want the game on, but I honestly can not get my head round why that game was off.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 76 - 83
IlkleyMariner
January 20, 2024, 8:04pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +12 / -1
Approval: +3,012
Gold Stars: 69
Quoted from vernontown
As a Knaresborough resident I'm in total disbelief that the ref called this off! Harrogate was cold but not the extremes seen in some places this week. It didn't freeze last night. Was 6 degrees at half 8 this morning. My garden was soft. Daughters horseriding the ground was soft. 7.5 degrees at 11am. Everywhere I've been in Harrogate it has been pleasant and grassy/muddy areas soft. At 1:30pm I was yards from the ground, it was pleasant and the grass verges etc were soft. How the pitch could be frozen and unplayable I genuinely can't fathom! Not the clubs fault, and you would assume they would want the game on, but I honestly can not get my head round why that game was off.

Agree. No need to rush the new date. Evening kick off on a warm evening would be nice
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 77 - 83
The_Laughing_Mariner
January 20, 2024, 8:24pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.47
Rep Score: +17 / -5
Approval: +1,041
Gold Stars: 10
Plenty of mariners in the winter gardens (spoons)

<'(((((<

When I was a little boy
I asked my daddy what would i be
would I be United, would i be Leeds
Here's what he said to me

Oh Grimsby Grimsby
Whatever will be will be
You'll follow then faithfully
Oh Grimsby Grimsby

Tell me Mam me Mam
I dont want no tea no tea
I'm watching the Grimsby
Tell me Mam me mam
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 78 - 83
moosey_club
January 20, 2024, 8:50pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.71
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,263
Gold Stars: 226
Talking to a few Norwegian guys who had gone to Harrogate to take in our game ahead of the Leeds game tomorrow....when we said it was off for frozen pitch they looked out the window in disbelief and just said "really?"

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWLWL but not NLN 😁
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 79 - 83
9 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Harrogate game

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.