Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  The New Fishy  /  
Posted by: lee65, January 19, 2024, 11:27am
I appreciate it's supposed to warm up tomorrow, but with the recent hard frosts has anyone heard if the game tomorrow is in any doubt?
Posted by: Southwark Mariner, January 19, 2024, 11:31am; Reply: 1
I doubt it's going to be on if that counts
Posted by: lee65, January 19, 2024, 12:03pm; Reply: 2
According to one weather app, not freezing at the min (2 degrees), not supposed to freeze overnight and 2-4 degrees tomorrow.  I guess it depends on what difference covers make? (assuming it has been covered)
Posted by: Southwark Mariner, January 19, 2024, 12:04pm; Reply: 3
Now you've got me doubting myself!
Posted by: Heswall Mariner, January 19, 2024, 12:08pm; Reply: 4
Met Office forecast would suggest there will be no issues affecting tomorrows game.
Posted by: Epworth Mariner, January 19, 2024, 12:16pm; Reply: 5
Met Office shows two forecasts
Standard temp and wind chill  …….
The wind chill does not get above freezing next two days……so it could be doubtful
Posted by: Hagrid, January 19, 2024, 12:18pm; Reply: 6
Mansfield and Cheltenham Called off
Posted by: BraStrap, January 19, 2024, 12:25pm; Reply: 7
Have we ever got through a season without a weather postponement?
Posted by: Mayaman, January 19, 2024, 12:52pm; Reply: 8
I forget about things like that languishing here in my underwear. Could do me a favour if off. Was supposed to take the missus away to the sticks weekend of the Walsall game.  I actually booked the accommodation but then called and asked about wifi.   They said they were rural so there was no wifi.  It's unusual here.  Anyway, I cancelled.  Wish I hadn't after the drubbing.  So she started giving me stick last week.  I told her I had to finish an assignment (partly true). The real reason was because I wanted to see the new lads. So glad I didn't go last weekend.  So if it's called off, I can say something like, "I want to watch Grimsby but I did promise so let's go".
Posted by: Maringer, January 19, 2024, 1:02pm; Reply: 9
Quoted from Epworth Mariner
Met Office shows two forecasts
Standard temp and wind chill  …….
The wind chill does not get above freezing next two days……so it could be doubtful

Wind chill shouldn't have an effect on the speed at which the ground defrosts. The perceived chill is to the skin - the air isn't any colder. In fact, an above-freezing wind is likely to help to defrost the ground more quickly, though direct sunshine would help the most.
Posted by: Rodley Mariner, January 19, 2024, 1:22pm; Reply: 10
I live just outside Harrogate and a pal who's a season ticket holder says they've got heat lamps on it already. They'll be keen to get it on with the form they're in.
Posted by: lee65, January 19, 2024, 1:53pm; Reply: 11
Thank you Rodley  :)
Posted by: Hagrid, January 19, 2024, 2:44pm; Reply: 12
Bradford game off, they were at home
Posted by: IlkleyMariner, January 19, 2024, 2:57pm; Reply: 13
A lot of the Bradford pitch never sees the sun   Also it’s notoriously wet at times
Harrogate stands are much smaller and most of the pitch will have had sunlight to help the thaw.
Posted by: Poojah, January 19, 2024, 3:07pm; Reply: 14
Quoted from Hagrid
Bradford game off, they were at home

Surprised they’ve called it so early, tbh. They’re only playing Donny, so could have at least given it until lunchtime tomorrow, especially as it’s due to be pretty warm between now and then.
Posted by: Rodley Mariner, January 19, 2024, 4:09pm; Reply: 15
Quoted from IlkleyMariner
A lot of the Bradford pitch never sees the sun   Also it’s notoriously wet at times
Harrogate stands are much smaller and most of the pitch will have had sunlight to help the thaw.

I don't know what it's been like in Ilkley today but no sun in Knaresborough. Ground here still very hard. Fingers crossed the heat lamps are decent as they might need to be.
Posted by: fishcake63, January 19, 2024, 4:47pm; Reply: 16
i would say 50/50 more than a handfull of lge 2 games surviving the freeze
Posted by: pontoonlew, January 19, 2024, 6:54pm; Reply: 17
I live inbetween Harrogate & Bradford and was absolutely convinced it’d be on until I saw Bradfords postponement. Not forecast to be too sunny tomorrow so I’m slightly less confident now. However it’s not set to go below freezing now, so you’d imagine over 24 hours of that with heat lamps should be just enough to get it on.
Posted by: 800 (Guest), January 19, 2024, 9:09pm; Reply: 18
Quoted from pontoonlew
I live inbetween Harrogate & Bradford and was absolutely convinced it’d be on until I saw Bradfords postponement. Not forecast to be too sunny tomorrow so I’m slightly less confident now. However it’s not set to go below freezing now, so you’d imagine over 24 hours of that with heat lamps should be just enough to get it on.

Pitch inspection  at Harrogate Railway Athletic in the NCEL tomorrow morning.
Posted by: oochiad, January 19, 2024, 9:29pm; Reply: 19
I live 9.2 miles away in Otley from the ground. Just been outside and the water in the bird bath has melted and the ground quite soft. We’ve had quite a lot of sun today so I’m banking on it being ok for tomorrow as no frost forecast tonight, a balmy 4 degrees! 🤞🤞
Posted by: denni266, January 19, 2024, 9:41pm; Reply: 20
Will we need our long sleived tee shirts tomorrow ? ;D
Posted by: thefish, January 20, 2024, 7:20am; Reply: 21
I fully expect ours to be the only game called off at 2:30pm!
Posted by: crusty ole pie, January 20, 2024, 7:43am; Reply: 22
3 degrees this morning in Harrogate with no overnight frost so Mother Nature is doing her bit
See you there fishies x
Posted by: pontoonlew, January 20, 2024, 7:43am; Reply: 23
Just been out in the garden this morning and my garden is soft, I’d be very surprised if this is off
Posted by: bradzmilne, January 20, 2024, 8:06am; Reply: 24
I’m after a ticket if anyone sees one.

Will pay above FV.

UTM
Posted by: thefish, January 20, 2024, 8:21am; Reply: 25
Quoted from pontoonlew
Just been out in the garden this morning and my garden is soft, I’d be very surprised if this is off

Thank you, MadridMariner…
Posted by: MaccasBoots, January 20, 2024, 10:38am; Reply: 26
Pitch inspection announced for 11.30am...

Why do they always leave it this late? They've known it's been cold and was going to be cold for a week now - what's changed?
Posted by: pontoonlew, January 20, 2024, 10:56am; Reply: 27
Quoted from MaccasBoots
Pitch inspection announced for 11.30am...

Why do they always leave it this late? They've known it's been cold and was going to be cold for a week now - what's changed?

You’d hope it’s more for a precaution, most clubs haven’t even announced pitch inspections it’s just been outright called off
Posted by: Hagrid, January 20, 2024, 10:57am; Reply: 28
class. Already at donny services
Posted by: IlkleyMariner, January 20, 2024, 11:02am; Reply: 29
Still hopeful……
Posted by: Mikey_345, January 20, 2024, 11:16am; Reply: 30
Always bugs me when clubs do this on a matchday. To be fair it’s officials that call inspections usually but you can also give fans more info than just “there’s an inspection”.

Communicate with people.. Is it precautionary, is there areas of concern etc. Something we’ve also been guilty of in years gone by..
Posted by: Poojah, January 20, 2024, 11:20am; Reply: 31
A year tomorrow since the 1pm, “precautionary” pitch inspection that saw our game at home to Harrogate last season. As gutted as I am not to be able to make today’s game, I hope this one goes better.
Posted by: jimgtfc, January 20, 2024, 11:28am; Reply: 32
Group of us sat at Donny services waiting for the result of this.
Posted by: thevera, January 20, 2024, 11:32am; Reply: 33
Off
Posted by: headingly_mariner, January 20, 2024, 11:33am; Reply: 34
I'm in the pub in Harrogate
Posted by: fishcake63, January 20, 2024, 11:33am; Reply: 35
hearing game off folks
Posted by: fishcake63, January 20, 2024, 11:34am; Reply: 36
Anybody ready to go dont bother
Posted by: pontoonlew, January 20, 2024, 11:36am; Reply: 37
Games off apparently
Posted by: HertsGTFC, January 20, 2024, 11:36am; Reply: 38
So if it was 11:30 it didn’t take them long to decide did it? Which suggests it was a non runner well before this time.

Maybe refs just need to get out of bed earlier 🙄
Posted by: IrishMariner, January 20, 2024, 11:37am; Reply: 39
Just at the ground here and it’s not looking good..
Posted by: headingly_mariner, January 20, 2024, 11:39am; Reply: 40
http://harrogateandriponcamra.org.uk/assets/harrogate-ale-trail.pdf

I'm going with this if it's off.
Posted by: Chrisblor, January 20, 2024, 11:47am; Reply: 41
Harrogate are absolutely junk at communication if somehow the fans have known for ten minutes it's off and they still haven't bothered to make an official announcement
Posted by: davmariner, January 20, 2024, 11:50am; Reply: 42
How have they not made an announcement yet? There are fans travelling to the game. flipping useless.
Posted by: Chrisblor, January 20, 2024, 11:52am; Reply: 43
Quoted from davmariner
How have they not made an announcement yet? There are fans travelling to the game. flipping useless.

I'm literally sat in Leeds station waiting to see if I should board a train about to depart in a few mins for Harrogate or just turn back and get one home instead. It'd be nice if they'd get a move on and announce something so I don't have to sit on a cold platform for any longer than necessary!
Posted by: Mariner_501, January 20, 2024, 11:53am; Reply: 44
Been common knowledge it’s off for a good 15minutes. No announcement
Posted by: IrishMariner, January 20, 2024, 11:53am; Reply: 45
Game off, just told by an official at the ground.
Posted by: IlkleyMariner, January 20, 2024, 11:54am; Reply: 46
Harrogate rugby is off
Harrogate railway is on following a pitch inspection I believe
Posted by: Mariner_501, January 20, 2024, 11:55am; Reply: 47
The other Harrogate teams game is on lol what is happening
Posted by: lee65, January 20, 2024, 11:57am; Reply: 48
Off on GTFC website  
Posted by: headingly_mariner, January 20, 2024, 11:58am; Reply: 49
I'm off to Harrogate Railway. Crazy that's on and we are off.
Posted by: GrimRob, January 20, 2024, 11:58am; Reply: 50
Tinpot
Posted by: chaos33, January 20, 2024, 12:00pm; Reply: 51
Official Harrogate announcement made. Off.
Posted by: pontoonlew, January 20, 2024, 12:13pm; Reply: 52
Staggering that Harrogate Railway got theirs on, I can only imagine Harrogate have left the covers on all week and not let the ‘warmer’ weather in the past 24 hours get to the pitch
Posted by: jimgtfc, January 20, 2024, 12:13pm; Reply: 53
Strange one this, questions to be answered I reckon
Posted by: TAGG, January 20, 2024, 12:21pm; Reply: 54
Fukin pub team
Posted by: conscorner, January 20, 2024, 12:32pm; Reply: 55
Compare today with the fantastic efforts of the Grimsby Town Ground Staff to get the Harrogate game on back in December.
Posted by: MuddyWaters, January 20, 2024, 12:37pm; Reply: 56
Just a gentle reminder that the same thing happened (in reverse) on the same weekend last year.

https://www.grimsbytelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/grimsby-fans-fume-harrogate-postponement-8059000
Posted by: Mikey_345, January 20, 2024, 12:48pm; Reply: 57
Quoted from MuddyWaters
Just a gentle reminder that the same thing happened (in reverse) on the same weekend last year.

https://www.grimsbytelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/grimsby-fans-fume-harrogate-postponement-8059000

It didn’t though mate. The club made everyone aware the day before there was an inspection the following day. They also confirmed they’d asked for a pitch inspection on the Friday but the officials had refused.

Clubs can’t control the weather but they can control their comms to fans. Think last year we did our best to keep people informed.

Must say the fact Harrogate railway (about a 5 min walk) has managed to get theirs on is very dodgy..
Posted by: MuddyWaters, January 20, 2024, 1:01pm; Reply: 58
Quoted from Mikey_345

It didn’t though mate. The club made everyone aware the day before there was an inspection the following day. They also confirmed they’d asked for a pitch inspection on the Friday but the officials had refused.

Clubs can’t control the weather but they can control their comms to fans. Think last year we did our best to keep people informed.

Must say the fact Harrogate railway (about a 5 min walk) has managed to get theirs on is very dodgy..

They clearly wanted the game on, they’re in form and beat us pretty comfortably a few weeks back. Pitch inspection results are at the behest of the ref and no one else.
Posted by: Grantham_Mariner, January 20, 2024, 1:05pm; Reply: 59
NOTE TO SELF.......

Don not buy specific train tickets to Town matches in winter again!

Stuck in Harrogate until 17.36.

;D ;D ;D
Posted by: Poojah, January 20, 2024, 1:12pm; Reply: 60
Quoted from Grantham_Mariner
NOTE TO SELF.......

;D ;D ;D

Some cracking boozer’s in Harrogate. If that’s not your bag you can queue up and have yourself a nice cream tea.

There are worse places to be stranded for the afternoon.
Posted by: Mikey_345, January 20, 2024, 1:20pm; Reply: 61
Quoted from MuddyWaters

They clearly wanted the game on, they’re in form and beat us pretty comfortably a few weeks back. Pitch inspection results are at the behest of the ref and no one else.

Yes they are - however clubs should do more to keep people informed. Like we did last year stating we’d requested a pitch inspection.

If it was obvious yesterday it is their duty to inform match officials, see if they can get earlier inspections etc. It’s also good practice to keep fans informed, not a word from them until late this morning.

Posted by: MuddyWaters, January 20, 2024, 1:32pm; Reply: 62
Quoted from Mikey_345

Yes they are - however clubs should do more to keep people informed. Like we did last year stating we’d requested a pitch inspection.

If it was obvious yesterday it is their duty to inform match officials, see if they can get earlier inspections etc. It’s also good practice to keep fans informed, not a word from them until late this morning.

I don't disagree. But maybe their groundsman thought they were ok. Who knows?
Posted by: headingly_mariner, January 20, 2024, 1:46pm; Reply: 63
Quoted from Poojah

Some cracking boozer’s in Harrogate. If that’s not your bag you can queue up and have yourself a nice cream tea.

You beat me to it. I am having a smashing time. Off to Harrogate Raliway now.  Party time.
Posted by: thevera, January 20, 2024, 2:00pm; Reply: 64
Quoted from Grantham_Mariner
NOTE TO SELF.......

;D ;D ;D

Blues Bar has live music  this afternoon 3pm
Posted by: GrimPol, January 20, 2024, 2:14pm; Reply: 65
Quoted from MuddyWaters

I don't disagree. But maybe their groundsman thought they were ok. Who knows?

The ref makes the final decision. If someone breaks their leg, they become responsible for that decision. Do refs ring up the day before and ask for some kind of indication?
Posted by: Mikey_345, January 20, 2024, 2:41pm; Reply: 66
Quoted from Poojah

Absolutely. Lived in Harrogate for about 8 years. Real nice place, cracking pubs and plenty to do. Now in London I don’t half miss Harrogate 😂
Posted by: Captain Sensible, January 20, 2024, 2:56pm; Reply: 67
Quoted from Mikey_345

Harrogate are a club that can't even be bothered to tell fans how many away supporters have made the effort to attend, so I don't think good practice is something they are particularly concerned about.
Posted by: headingly_mariner, January 20, 2024, 3:00pm; Reply: 68
Quoted from GrimPol

The ref makes the final decision. If someone breaks their leg, they become responsible for that decision. Do refs ring up the day before and ask for some kind of indication?

Name me a referee that has been found responsible for an injury due to allowing a game to be played.
Posted by: headingly_mariner, January 20, 2024, 3:09pm; Reply: 69
1-0 Harrogate Railway
Posted by: headingly_mariner, January 20, 2024, 4:40pm; Reply: 70
2-1 Selby. excrement game, soft pitch.
Posted by: GollyGTFC, January 20, 2024, 6:00pm; Reply: 71
We were on a direct train from Grantham to Harrogate and were hoping for a prompt announcement after 11:30. Unfortunately that didn’t happen and the OFF tweet was posted just as we pulled out of Leeds station.

So we got all the way to Harrogate. And we had a fixed return ticket on the 17:36 to Kings Cross.

We spent an enjoyable afternoon by having a Nandos for lunch and then going to the cinema to see One Life, which was excellent. I would recommend it to everyone.

We’re now on our way back to Grantham.
Posted by: jamesgtfc, January 20, 2024, 6:13pm; Reply: 72
Quoted from Mikey_345

What rankles most is how many Tweets they fired out yesterday and their post this morning that the game was on! A bit of communication doesn't go amiss.
Posted by: barralad, January 20, 2024, 6:26pm; Reply: 73
Quoted from MuddyWaters

It didn't though. The club warned both sets of fans on the Friday that there was little chance of the game being on BUT the referee had the final say. The referee chose to leave it until the very latest he could. I found out the game today was off at about 11.40. It took Harrogate another 20 minutes to announce it officially.
Posted by: IlkleyMariner, January 20, 2024, 6:37pm; Reply: 74
Harrogate Railway match was played. About 250 extra spectators than a normal game for them. Anyone know how many mariners were in the crowd?

Nice clubhouse for a pint or few….
Posted by: Mikey_345, January 20, 2024, 6:47pm; Reply: 75
Quoted from jamesgtfc

What rankles most is how many Tweets they fired out yesterday and their post this morning that the game was on! A bit of communication doesn't go amiss.

Exactly! I don’t mind whether beating games, not a lot you can do. Or giving as much chance as possible to get a game on - but give people some info about what’s happening.
Posted by: vernontown, January 20, 2024, 7:37pm; Reply: 76
As a Knaresborough resident I'm in total disbelief that the ref called this off! Harrogate was cold but not the extremes seen in some places this week. It didn't freeze last night. Was 6 degrees at half 8 this morning. My garden was soft. Daughters horseriding the ground was soft. 7.5 degrees at 11am. Everywhere I've been in Harrogate it has been pleasant and grassy/muddy areas soft. At 1:30pm I was yards from the ground, it was pleasant and the grass verges etc were soft. How the pitch could be frozen and unplayable I genuinely can't fathom! Not the clubs fault, and you would assume they would want the game on, but I honestly can not get my head round why that game was off.
Posted by: IlkleyMariner, January 20, 2024, 8:04pm; Reply: 77
Quoted from vernontown
As a Knaresborough resident I'm in total disbelief that the ref called this off! Harrogate was cold but not the extremes seen in some places this week. It didn't freeze last night. Was 6 degrees at half 8 this morning. My garden was soft. Daughters horseriding the ground was soft. 7.5 degrees at 11am. Everywhere I've been in Harrogate it has been pleasant and grassy/muddy areas soft. At 1:30pm I was yards from the ground, it was pleasant and the grass verges etc were soft. How the pitch could be frozen and unplayable I genuinely can't fathom! Not the clubs fault, and you would assume they would want the game on, but I honestly can not get my head round why that game was off.

Agree. No need to rush the new date. Evening kick off on a warm evening would be nice
Posted by: The_Laughing_Mariner, January 20, 2024, 8:24pm; Reply: 78
Plenty of mariners in the winter gardens (spoons)
Posted by: moosey_club, January 20, 2024, 8:50pm; Reply: 79
Talking to a few Norwegian guys who had gone to Harrogate to take in our game ahead of the Leeds game tomorrow....when we said it was off for frozen pitch they looked out the window in disbelief and just said "really?"
Posted by: Grantham_Mariner, January 20, 2024, 10:41pm; Reply: 80
SG2 referee probably did not want to get his boots muddy. We need an explanation as to exactly why he called it off, why an inspection was call so late and why it took an age to be announced.  :( :( :(
Posted by: Eastendmariner, January 20, 2024, 11:40pm; Reply: 81
Non league  Heating lamps on the pitch really in the sauna more like just arrived at 11-50 and the match is  off  bloody annoying
Posted by: Poojah, January 20, 2024, 11:47pm; Reply: 82
Quoted from Eastendmariner
Non league  Heating lamps on the pitch really in the sauna more like just arrived at 11-50 and the match is  off  bloody annoying

To be fair, the game would have kicked off almost 9 hours ago so you’d have missed it anyway.
Posted by: Theimperialcoroner, January 22, 2024, 12:28pm; Reply: 83
Great work from Harrogate Railway social media person.

Tweet 1749387628347060722 will appear here...
Print page generated: May 10, 2024, 1:04pm