Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Kamil Conteh
Moderators: Moderator
Users Browsing Forum

Kamil Conteh

This thread currently has 84,667 views. Print
60 Pages Prev ... 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 ... Next All Recommend Thread
Alan Buckley
January 26, 2024, 11:23am
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.47
Approval: -268
Gold Stars: 5
Quoted from Ollie

Kamil also turned down Peterborough to come to us after a lot of convincing over the summer. The £275k clause was the only way to get him here.

Spot on.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 460 - 598
pontoonlew
January 26, 2024, 11:28am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +37 / -15
Approval: +9,091
Gold Stars: 178
Anybody who can’t see this as good business is stuck in the past IMO. Brentford & Brighton have forced their way into the top leagues by repeating this sort of business season after season.

If it’s a one off then there’s an argument for it not being a good sale, but we’ve explicitly said this is the plan and it’s obviously working. We’ve brought a player in, got a good return on him and now have the opportunity to re-invest it into the next sellable asset.

With Mcatee, Pollock, Grist & Conteh we’ve made over £1m. If we can replicate the same thing with 4 more and maybe make £2m the next time, then progressing up the leagues becomes much more achievable.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 461 - 598
rancido
January 26, 2024, 11:43am

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,653
Gold Stars: 100
Quoted from pontoonlew
Anybody who can’t see this as good business is stuck in the past IMO. Brentford & Brighton have forced their way into the top leagues by repeating this sort of business season after season.

If it’s a one off then there’s an argument for it not being a good sale, but we’ve explicitly said this is the plan and it’s obviously working. We’ve brought a player in, got a good return on him and now have the opportunity to re-invest it into the next sellable asset.

With Mcatee, Pollock, Grist & Conteh we’ve made over £1m. If we can replicate the same thing with 4 more and maybe make £2m the next time, then progressing up the leagues becomes much more achievable.

Exactly this! For the club to be sustainable then we have to have a steady source of income via buying and selling. Obviously you have to balance this with who we sell and how important they are for the club to still be successful and progress.

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 462 - 598
jimgtfc
January 26, 2024, 11:44am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.64
Rep Score: +22 / -5
Approval: +5,101
Gold Stars: 45
It’s a good deal in the sense that we’ve made a small profit on a player in just six months, and there maybe some further sell on advantages in the future. I just can’t help but be a little disappointed that 1. We’ve lost a cracking player, and 2. Having not known about the clause previously, I felt we could’ve made a lot more money in 6 months to a year, maybe even getting up to the 7 figure mark. But we’ll move on and I trust the owners and DA to invest that money wisely.

Having met him a few times for several different reasons he’s a cracking young lad and hopefully he’ll work his way up the leagues now.

Good luck Kam

"Falls to Arnold... Arnold! That's it! Thats it! He's sealed it! Grimsby Town are back in the football league!!! Just a minute to go and Nathan Arnold makes it 3-1! Look at the scenes behind the goal! Look at the relief! The agony is finally over!!!"

John Tondeur - Wembley Stadium Sunday 15th May 2016
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 463 - 598
AncientExiledMariner
January 26, 2024, 11:55am
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.45
Rep Score: +8 / -2
Approval: +520
Gold Stars: 59
I mean Bristol are saying it's their highest transfer bid paid, so could only be £5 more than that and they can market to the fans that they're splashing the cash.

I think Town had a decision, either wait for the BOC or maybe take a bit more for delayed payment.

Ultimately, if we paid roughly £100k for him, and get £400k, we can replace with 3 good standard league 2 players and get £100k for the January inconvenience. Not to mention 20% sell on, which if he went for £1.5m later, is a tidy £300k. I'd take 3 more Rose's of their position over Conteh. Good player with great potential and I wish him luck, but I think we need players ready to go now.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 464 - 598
jamesgtfc
January 26, 2024, 12:54pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +13,041
Gold Stars: 190
I think a lot of owners would have bowed to pressure and begrudgingly accepted the release clause in installments, so fair play to those that played the game and negotiated a better deal for the club.

I think that Conteh can be a very good case study for the club to use in demonstrating to talented young players that we won't stand in their way of progressing.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 465 - 598
Lincoln Mariner 56
January 26, 2024, 1:38pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +23 / -4
Approval: +7,764
Gold Stars: 81
Quoted from Alan Buckley
His buyout clause was £275k which had to be met as a full upfront payment to be triggered. They didn’t want to pay that upfront so instead have made the value more than £275k with the installments. Forest green offered £275k in instalments for him at the start of the window which town was able to reject luckily!

Pleased you’ve been proved correct after, at best, sceptical posts on here. Any idea what we paid for him initially?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 466 - 598
AncientExiledMariner
January 26, 2024, 2:38pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.45
Rep Score: +8 / -2
Approval: +520
Gold Stars: 59
Quoted from Lincoln Mariner 56

Pleased you’ve been proved correct after, at best, sceptical posts on here. Any idea what we paid for him initially?

Is it true though? What is your source? GTFC? Bristol Rovers, Kamil, or his agent?

It is Bristol Rovers biggest transfer fee. Why would they pay £75k over the asking price? Even with today's interest rates, they'd be quids in to borrow it.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 467 - 598
diehardmariner
January 26, 2024, 2:40pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,694
Gold Stars: 540
Great business.

Conteh was never here for the long haul.  Good luck to the lad and I wish him the best.  I think he'll get a lot better with better players around him. But he's looked as anonymous at times as he as influential.  Actually surprised anyone has jumped the gun on him so early when his form has dipped at various points already this season (albeit in a side that hasn't torn trees up).

The value of this transfer will come when/if he impresses at Rovers and gets sold again.  20% straight up sell-on is significant, never mind the actual transfer fee in an age when they tend to for a pittance at this level (as a selling club).
Private Message
Reply: 468 - 598
coddy60
January 26, 2024, 2:55pm

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.14
Rep Score: +7 / -16
Approval: +656
Gold Stars: 13
Have we actually announced this yet?
The lad left yesterday morning after saying his goodbyes, what's the delay...
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 469 - 598
60 Pages Prev ... 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 ... Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Kamil Conteh

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.