HerveJosse
January 14, 2024, 11:20am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.89
Rep Score: +6 / -3
Approval: +1,206
Gold Stars: 144
Quoted from pontoonlew

But going forward he’d have also checked back 7 times before scuffing the ball directly to a Notts defender. If we could combine Mullarkey & Efete then we’d have a great player. I’d rather see Mullarkey at least give it a go as opposed to Efete who stifles almost every attack we go on down that right side.

We could go with Alexandra Arnold but he can’t defend and  Reece James is always injured so Mullarkey it is then
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 20
LocalLadGTFC
January 14, 2024, 12:16pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.37
Rep Score: +9 / -2
Approval: +4,223
Gold Stars: 137
Feels like they targetted Mularkey and the right of defence. I cannot help but feel Efete would not have been shredded like this.

Did you watch the Mansfield game? Efete got ripped to shreds by a 37 year old Stephen Quinn... when he's out the side it's like he's a prime Cafu. His best games last season were on the right side of a back 3. He's not good enough and we need better at right back.
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 11 - 20
toontown
January 14, 2024, 1:51pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +6,279
Gold Stars: 70
Quoted from LocalLadGTFC

Did you watch the Mansfield game? Efete got ripped to shreds by a 37 year old Stephen Quinn... when he's out the side it's like he's a prime Cafu. His best games last season were on the right side of a back 3. He's not good enough and we need better at right back.

The chances of Efete being a regular in an Artell side that he wants to knock it about amongst themselves at the back, draw in opposition and control and pass it without panicking are essentially zero. He's clearly unsuited to that game plan as he is so painfully limited at control and passing and lacks confidence at the best of times, as soon as Artell rocked up it was surely only a matter of time before he was shipped out.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 20
Kris2
January 14, 2024, 2:29pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.65
Rep Score: +16 / -18
Approval: +2,634
Gold Stars: 136
Quoted from supertown
Keeper glued to his line , needs to be more commanding. Especially their 4th

Considering his defensive line is being held together with glue at this point I think he can be forgiven for being a bit shaky. He's got two relegation form defenders from last season and Eric Dier at home in front of him.

DA: Can we get Eric Dier?
JS: No. We have Eric Dier at home.

Eric Dier at home.... (see highlights)
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 20
RichMariner
January 14, 2024, 9:23pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.50
Rep Score: +42 / -4
Approval: +9,135
Gold Stars: 209
Mullarkay looks like a centre back playing at right back, which isn't far from the truth because isn't his natural position the right-sided centre back in a back three?

Efete is a more natural right back, but he has his limitations.

I'm not sure he's as bad as some fans on here make him out to be. I'm also not saying he's a world-beater. Just searching for a bit of reason and balance.

Efete doesn't trust his crossing first time. He's hesitant in attack but he does get forward well, and can carry the ball. He'll also run up and down that touchline all day.

Mullarkay doesn't have that athleticism. He's very stop-start. No acceleration whatsoever, which you need when defending against the faster wingers who like to whip in a cross.

If we want to improve, I think neither are good enough options at right back, as things stand. But I'm keen to see whether Artell can get anything out of them that we so far haven't seen, by some good old-fashioned coaching.

It's a modern trend to just dispense with players when they don't deliver. Rob Jones didn't deliver for a whole season and then something clicked. Even Shaun Pearson's first with us was a long way short of what he did at Boston.

Artell seems like a coach, and someone who can improve what he's got. If we're still saying the same things about both players in the summer then yes, time for a change I think.

"Don't shine that light in my face, mate - I've just lost a pint of blood."
Logged Offline
Site Private Message
Reply: 14 - 20
Kris2
January 15, 2024, 8:37am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.65
Rep Score: +16 / -18
Approval: +2,634
Gold Stars: 136

Vlog showing a better view of their third goal which looks very much like he's fallen over and scooped the ball over the line with his hand. I guess without VAR you sacrifice things that need to be closer scrutinised than a ref or lino standing far away from it. Still on balance rather have a bad decision or something missed than VAR.
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 20
Mayaman
January 15, 2024, 2:59pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.92
Rep Score: +7 / -2
Approval: +3,416
Gold Stars: 74
The 4th goal was urine poor.  How Cartwright didn't get to it sooner is beyond me.   Still the cross should have never came in.  Was it Mularky defending.  He was way too far forward, showing him the left. You've just seen what damage Jones can do with his left .  It would be better to force him to cut inside. Not that wouldn't have ended in a goal necessarily.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 20
oochiad
January 15, 2024, 4:53pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.62
Rep Score: +9 / -3
Approval: +3,719
Gold Stars: 28
Quoted from Mayaman
The 4th goal was urine poor.  How Cartwright didn't get to it sooner is beyond me.   Still the cross should have never came in.  Was it Mularky defending.  He was way too far forward, showing him the left. You've just seen what damage Jones can do with his left .  It would be better to force him to cut inside. Not that wouldn't have ended in a goal necessarily.

No it was Clifton.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 20
LN8Mariner
January 15, 2024, 7:59pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.14
Rep Score: +1 / 0
Approval: +313
Gold Stars: 9
Quoted from Mayaman
The 4th goal was urine poor.  How Cartwright didn't get to it sooner is beyond me.  

I think the 2nd (to a lesser extent), 3rd and 4th goals all show a keeper who is young and not quite battle scarred/hardened yet. I think an older, more experienced, kicked more often?, keeper would have dived at the feet of the goalscorer in all three cases. Yes, they would have got a face full of boot, knee, and a full-blooded collision but I do think they could have stopped one or two of those goals in doing so and yes he could have got injured in trying to. The fourth, to me, just looks worse as it could almost have been picked up in the centre of the goal just outside the six yard box if he'd have gone forward rather than lateral.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 20
1mickylyons
January 15, 2024, 8:13pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.53
Rep Score: +42 / -14
Approval: +9,386
Gold Stars: 56
If I was insistant on playing Efete in the team it would be at CB for his pace attacking fullback or passing footballer he ain't.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 20
3 Pages Prev 1 2 3 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Highlights. Mental

Thread Rating

There have been 1 votes for this thread.

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.