Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  The New Fishy  /  
Posted by: It Bites, January 13, 2024, 7:04pm
https://www.skysports.com/football/grimsby-town-vs-notts-county/484480
Posted by: arryarryarry, January 13, 2024, 7:27pm; Reply: 1
Can't tell from that watching on my phone but as it happened I thought their third was hand ball as it looked to me he forced it over the line with his arm.
Posted by: acko338, January 13, 2024, 9:32pm; Reply: 2
Their 1st was a yard offside at least, but missed by the linesman.
Posted by: lukeo, January 13, 2024, 10:34pm; Reply: 3
What was that celebration for out 5th  ;D ;D ;D
Posted by: AncientExiledMariner, January 14, 2024, 2:04am; Reply: 4
Feels like they targetted Mularkey and the right of defence. I cannot help but feel Efete would not have been shredded like this.
Posted by: Azimuth, January 14, 2024, 9:56am; Reply: 5
Some very well taken goals there from Town!
Posted by: pontoonlew, January 14, 2024, 10:36am; Reply: 6
Feels like they targetted Mularkey and the right of defence. I cannot help but feel Efete would not have been shredded like this.

But going forward he’d have also checked back 7 times before scuffing the ball directly to a Notts defender. If we could combine Mullarkey & Efete then we’d have a great player. I’d rather see Mullarkey at least give it a go as opposed to Efete who stifles almost every attack we go on down that right side.
Posted by: Poojah, January 14, 2024, 11:02am; Reply: 7
(slightly) extended highlights.

Posted by: supertown, January 14, 2024, 11:04am; Reply: 8
Keeper glued to his line , needs to be more commanding. Especially their 4th
Posted by: Maringer, January 14, 2024, 11:13am; Reply: 9
Cartwright definitely beat himself with that 4th goal. The cross wasn't nearly as good as the preceding three but he appeared to expect better and so didn't just claim it as he should have done. He's only a young kid, however, and has been doing well so I won't hold it against him. The fact that we failed to cut out the preceding three crosses which led to goals certainly wasn't his fault.
Posted by: HerveJosse, January 14, 2024, 11:20am; Reply: 10
Quoted from pontoonlew

But going forward he’d have also checked back 7 times before scuffing the ball directly to a Notts defender. If we could combine Mullarkey & Efete then we’d have a great player. I’d rather see Mullarkey at least give it a go as opposed to Efete who stifles almost every attack we go on down that right side.

We could go with Alexandra Arnold but he can’t defend and  Reece James is always injured so Mullarkey it is then
Posted by: LocalLadGTFC, January 14, 2024, 12:16pm; Reply: 11

Did you watch the Mansfield game? Efete got ripped to shreds by a 37 year old Stephen Quinn... when he's out the side it's like he's a prime Cafu. His best games last season were on the right side of a back 3. He's not good enough and we need better at right back.
Posted by: toontown, January 14, 2024, 1:51pm; Reply: 12
Quoted from LocalLadGTFC

Did you watch the Mansfield game? Efete got ripped to shreds by a 37 year old Stephen Quinn... when he's out the side it's like he's a prime Cafu. His best games last season were on the right side of a back 3. He's not good enough and we need better at right back.

The chances of Efete being a regular in an Artell side that he wants to knock it about amongst themselves at the back, draw in opposition and control and pass it without panicking are essentially zero. He's clearly unsuited to that game plan as he is so painfully limited at control and passing and lacks confidence at the best of times, as soon as Artell rocked up it was surely only a matter of time before he was shipped out.
Posted by: Kris2, January 14, 2024, 2:29pm; Reply: 13
Quoted from supertown
Keeper glued to his line , needs to be more commanding. Especially their 4th

Considering his defensive line is being held together with glue at this point I think he can be forgiven for being a bit shaky. He's got two relegation form defenders from last season and Eric Dier at home in front of him.

DA: Can we get Eric Dier?
JS: No. We have Eric Dier at home.

Eric Dier at home.... (see highlights)
Posted by: RichMariner, January 14, 2024, 9:23pm; Reply: 14
Mullarkay looks like a centre back playing at right back, which isn't far from the truth because isn't his natural position the right-sided centre back in a back three?

Efete is a more natural right back, but he has his limitations.

I'm not sure he's as bad as some fans on here make him out to be. I'm also not saying he's a world-beater. Just searching for a bit of reason and balance.

Efete doesn't trust his crossing first time. He's hesitant in attack but he does get forward well, and can carry the ball. He'll also run up and down that touchline all day.

Mullarkay doesn't have that athleticism. He's very stop-start. No acceleration whatsoever, which you need when defending against the faster wingers who like to whip in a cross.

If we want to improve, I think neither are good enough options at right back, as things stand. But I'm keen to see whether Artell can get anything out of them that we so far haven't seen, by some good old-fashioned coaching.

It's a modern trend to just dispense with players when they don't deliver. Rob Jones didn't deliver for a whole season and then something clicked. Even Shaun Pearson's first with us was a long way short of what he did at Boston.

Artell seems like a coach, and someone who can improve what he's got. If we're still saying the same things about both players in the summer then yes, time for a change I think.
Posted by: Kris2, January 15, 2024, 8:37am; Reply: 15

Vlog showing a better view of their third goal which looks very much like he's fallen over and scooped the ball over the line with his hand. I guess without VAR you sacrifice things that need to be closer scrutinised than a ref or lino standing far away from it. Still on balance rather have a bad decision or something missed than VAR.
Posted by: Mayaman, January 15, 2024, 2:59pm; Reply: 16
The 4th goal was urine poor.  How Cartwright didn't get to it sooner is beyond me.   Still the cross should have never came in.  Was it Mularky defending.  He was way too far forward, showing him the left. You've just seen what damage Jones can do with his left .  It would be better to force him to cut inside. Not that wouldn't have ended in a goal necessarily.
Posted by: oochiad, January 15, 2024, 4:53pm; Reply: 17
Quoted from Mayaman
The 4th goal was urine poor.  How Cartwright didn't get to it sooner is beyond me.   Still the cross should have never came in.  Was it Mularky defending.  He was way too far forward, showing him the left. You've just seen what damage Jones can do with his left .  It would be better to force him to cut inside. Not that wouldn't have ended in a goal necessarily.

No it was Clifton.
Posted by: LN8Mariner, January 15, 2024, 7:59pm; Reply: 18
Quoted from Mayaman
The 4th goal was urine poor.  How Cartwright didn't get to it sooner is beyond me.  

I think the 2nd (to a lesser extent), 3rd and 4th goals all show a keeper who is young and not quite battle scarred/hardened yet. I think an older, more experienced, kicked more often?, keeper would have dived at the feet of the goalscorer in all three cases. Yes, they would have got a face full of boot, knee, and a full-blooded collision but I do think they could have stopped one or two of those goals in doing so and yes he could have got injured in trying to. The fourth, to me, just looks worse as it could almost have been picked up in the centre of the goal just outside the six yard box if he'd have gone forward rather than lateral.
Posted by: 1mickylyons, January 15, 2024, 8:13pm; Reply: 19
If I was insistant on playing Efete in the team it would be at CB for his pace attacking fullback or passing footballer he ain't.
Posted by: Maringer, January 15, 2024, 9:12pm; Reply: 20
Not so sure about the first 3 goals as they really were excellent crosses, of the type you rarely see in this division. I think they had enough on them that very few keepers would have been able to get hands to them and I'd blame the defenders for not getting themselves to the ball before the in-rushing attackers.

The cross for the 4th was much more average and Cartwright should just have fallen on it as it went across the 6 yard box. He was probably expecting a cross more like the first three and beat himself in his head!
Print page generated: May 10, 2024, 5:03pm