This thread currently has 3,330 views. Print
4 Pages 1 2 3 4 All Recommend Thread
Simon
January 11, 2024, 2:47pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.30
Approval: +237
Gold Stars: 33
Just been appointed as manager of Burton Albion, was a decent player in his short time with us wasn't it 8 goals in fifteen appearances or something like that

Always like to see ex mariners doing well, good luck to him  

All Town aren't we ..... UTM  
Logged Online
Private Message
Mallyner
January 11, 2024, 3:17pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.60
Rep Score: +9 / -2
Approval: +2,515
Gold Stars: 23
I was there on the night he made his debut on loan with the son of Tony Pulis; and Martin chased everything, including seemingly lost causes; and we gave him a standing ovation.

I think Alan Buckley would have loved to have signed him, but seemingly it was out of the question.

Supporting Town for 65 years.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 35
Knut Anders Fosters Voles
January 11, 2024, 3:38pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.86
Rep Score: +24 / -1
Approval: +8,828
Gold Stars: 555
That’s just Paterson down to a t
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 35
Poojah
January 11, 2024, 3:51pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,605
Gold Stars: 1,503
Quoted from Mallyner
I was there on the night he made his debut on loan with the son of Tony Pulis; and Martin chased everything, including seemingly lost causes; and we gave him a standing ovation.

I think Alan Buckley would have loved to have signed him, but seemingly it was out of the question.

Great debut. Pato was a brief shining light in what was a relatively dull period as a Town fan.

Tweet 1728337562815664223 will appear here...

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 35
Hagrid
January 11, 2024, 3:59pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.80
Rep Score: +49 / -21
Approval: +20,437
Gold Stars: 536
Aye Till and Paterson were good for us

Patto went on to have the most success. Think he went out to states for a bit?

Pulis wasnt great but sure he ended up in the US as well
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 35
Son of Cod
January 11, 2024, 4:01pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.93
Rep Score: +8 / 0
Approval: +5,328
Gold Stars: 196
Quoted from Poojah

Great debut. Pato was a brief shining light in what was a relatively dull period as a Town fan.

Tweet 1728337562815664223 will appear here...

PAT-OH PAT-OHHHHHH such a short but satisfying chant to belt out after he'd just chased a loss cause and forced a defender into conceding a corner. Great player to watch, wish we'd have had him for longer. Love to see a player punching ground in frustration after missing chance personally. Shows that they care.

Worst Town home kit of all time though.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 35
Epworth Mariner
January 11, 2024, 5:07pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.16
Rep Score: +4 / 0
Approval: +652
Gold Stars: 57
Remember him scoring the winner for Huddersfield in the cup…….last minute Osmond end….
He came on as sub…
I think we went from 2-0 up to losing 3-2
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 35
HerveJosse
January 11, 2024, 5:38pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.89
Rep Score: +6 / -3
Approval: +1,206
Gold Stars: 144
Good goal but it doesn’t overcome my realisation that Accrington Stanley have now been in the EFL for 18 years and we are still below them
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 35
Poojah
January 11, 2024, 5:48pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from Epworth Mariner
Remember him scoring the winner for Huddersfield in the cup…….last minute Osmond end….
He came on as sub…
I think we went from 2-0 up to losing 3-2

Almost. Paterson equalised at the death and then Huddersfield won it in the dying moments of injury time through an unfortunate Aswad Thomas OG.

Sounds weird to say, but probably my favourite defeat I’ve witnessed at BP. A proper blood and thunder performance from Town against a much better side, and one of the best atmospheres I can remember there for a long time. Neither of those things happen enough these days.

Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 35
chaos33
January 11, 2024, 6:24pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,937
Gold Stars: 360
He was ace.

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 35
forza ivano
January 11, 2024, 7:09pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.46
Rep Score: +72 / -20
Approval: +15,208
Gold Stars: 265
Quoted from Mallyner

Was that Torquay away? Seem to remember him having a blinder there one cold Friday night
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 35
chaos33
January 11, 2024, 7:14pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,937
Gold Stars: 360
Love that finish from Lump 🙂

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 35
jamesgtfc
January 11, 2024, 7:34pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +12,980
Gold Stars: 190
Quoted from Poojah

Almost. Paterson equalised at the death and then Huddersfield won it in the dying moments of injury time through an unfortunate Aswad Thomas OG.

Sounds weird to say, but probably my favourite defeat I’ve witnessed at BP. A proper blood and thunder performance from Town against a much better side, and one of the best atmospheres I can remember there for a long time. Neither of those things happen enough these days.

I had a "restricted view" seat in the Main Stand next to a column. The view wasn't actually restricted at all, but I just remember some idiot next to me spent the full 90 minutes moaning that we weren't closing them down.

I really enjoyed the game, proper blood and thunder like you say, and we were very unlucky to lose that game.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 35
Maringer
January 11, 2024, 8:40pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,560
Gold Stars: 185
Quoted from chaos33
Love that finish from Lump 🙂

A classy player. A real pity that he couldn't stay a bit longer.

For Paterson, I always remember a quick and very direct player, always trying to run at the opposition defence. Very reminiscent of Kabba in that regard.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 35
grimps
January 12, 2024, 4:44am
balderdash
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.79
Rep Score: +21 / -19
Approval: +5,129
Gold Stars: 46
Great player
I used to work with is Scottish dad on LOR
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 35
Brazilnut
January 12, 2024, 7:19am

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.27
Rep Score: +17 / -8
Approval: +978
Gold Stars: 30

Sounds weird to say, but probably my favourite defeat I’ve witnessed at BP. A proper blood and thunder performance from Town against a much better side, and one of the best atmospheres I can remember there for a long time. Neither of those things happen enough these days. [/quote]

This was at the time there was a fuss about "has the FA Cup lost its magic" and lower gates for 3rd round matches ........ a mate was driving down south during the match ......and he said radio5 was going round the grounds all reporters where mentioning lack of atmosphere and mundane football .....but when they came to Grimsby the report went along the lines of ......I don't know what the others are watching but it is absolutely  bouncing here we have a proper cup tie

<*(((><

Town have given me some of my highest highs and my lowest lows ........ God it is like a marriage
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 35
Simon
January 12, 2024, 9:25am
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.30
Approval: +237
Gold Stars: 33
Quoted from grimps
Great player

Pato snr still lives in Healing

All Town aren't we ..... UTM  
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 35
Mallyner
January 12, 2024, 9:53am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.60
Approval: +2,515
Gold Stars: 23
Quoted from forza ivano

Was that Torquay away? Seem to remember him having a blinder there one cold Friday night

All credit to you for going to Torquay Forza, but the game I recall was the one in the video clip.

Supporting Town for 65 years.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 35
mariner91
January 12, 2024, 10:15am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,666
Gold Stars: 262
Paterson and Lump instantly had a connection. I can remember a move in the first half of the Accy game where Paterson received the ball from the full back but feinted over it to allow it to run to Lump who played him through with his first touch (the classy sodomist) and he nearly scored. One of the best little bits of play I can remember watching at BP in the last 20 years and they'd probably only met each other an hour before. What a strike partnership that was. I miss Lump.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 35
LocalLadGTFC
January 12, 2024, 10:23am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.37
Approval: +4,229
Gold Stars: 137
Quoted from mariner91
Paterson and Lump instantly had a connection. I can remember a move in the first half of the Accy game where Paterson received the ball from the full back but feinted over it to allow it to run to Lump who played him through with his first touch (the classy sodomist) and he nearly scored. One of the best little bits of play I can remember watching at BP in the last 20 years and they'd probably only met each other an hour before. What a strike partnership that was. I miss Lump.

Everyone had a connection with Lump, he was just that good. The lower league Bergkamp  
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 19 - 35
Abdul19
January 12, 2024, 10:42am

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.41
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,567
Gold Stars: 216
Quoted from LocalLadGTFC

Everyone had a connection with Lump, he was just that good. The lower league Bergkamp  

The vision, the touch and the ability to smash someone in the head if needed  

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 35
diehardmariner
January 12, 2024, 10:43am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,634
Gold Stars: 539
Pato was such an exciting player and really helped lift those post-Slade blues that season.  That summer we completely lose all explosiveness in the side.  Gary Cohen and Michael Reddy were both broken, Cohen never played against and Reddy only made a few appearances where he looked a former shadow of himself.  Isiah Rankin came in but was a completely different player to the one we'd seen a few years before.  The departure of Andy Parkinson and his high energy was one that I think was a bit under valued too.

It really was no surprise that Buckley waited a whole week into his third spell before bringing in Paterson and Peter Till as players with a bit of zest about them.  

At the time we signed Paterson I was dealing with a Stoke fan at work, who simply couldn't believe we had picked him up on loan.  His view was very much that he was above our level and I don't think he was wrong. It took just 12 minutes for his impact to be felt on his debut too.

4 goals in his first 3 games and then the fragilities of the side overall became too much.  That awful run of 7 consecutive defeats, with only Paterson's last minute consolation at Torquay making sure it wasn't 7 games without scoring, was just dreadful.  I genuinely thought we would never score again.  Confidence is a funny thing though as we then went and thumped Boston 6-0 in the next game.

The biggest shame with Paterson's time here was that he was in a largely poor side.  The season before he would have proved the perfect replacement to Reddy, especially post Xmas when he struggled with injury and then even the following season when the side improved under Buckley but just lacked a consistent killer edge (by then of course he was in the Championship with Scunny).  

Private Message
Reply: 21 - 35
Poojah
January 12, 2024, 10:51am
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from LocalLadGTFC

I still remember his debut against Torquay, famously spoiled by a late Chris Hargreaves equaliser if memory serves. As he “sprinted” for a loose ball, I remember thinking to myself “what on earth have we signed here?”. I think he’d signed late in the summer window, but Christ, he made Paul Futcher look like an albino Linford Christie.

That was the beauty with Lump, though; like the late, great Futch, his strength wasn’t in his fleet of foot but rather fleet of thought, coupled with a level of skill and finesse that had no right to have graced League Two. You go don’t need to run fast when you’ve got Michael Reddy next to you, anyway.

Despite our mixed fortunes this side of the millennium, we’ve been lucky to witness some great strikers in the black and white stripes. Regardless, it’s hard to think of a more perfect, more complimentary partnership than Jones and Reddy. Just pure, unbridled magnificence.

I still think it’s a travesty that side never made it over the line to promotion. Somewhere in a parallel universe, I wonder, maybe Northampton and Leyton Orient don’t score in the dying embers of our league season, Slade takes us on back-to-back promotions to the second tier, and there’s a gleaming bronze statue of our John standing proudly outside of our state-of-the-art Fentydome.

Perhaps a stretch too far, but our failure to go up that season certainly feels like a sliding doors moment in retrospect.

Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 35
Balthazar Bullitt
January 12, 2024, 10:55am

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.26
Rep Score: +10 / -1
Approval: +2,260
Gold Stars: 16
Quoted from grimps
Great player

Were you Frodo or Sam?
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 35
diehardmariner
January 12, 2024, 10:59am
Vodka Drinker
Reddy, Paterson, Danny North (look up Lump's goal against Carlisle in the cup)...

All managed an immediate connection with Lump.  A common theme amongst those, I'm convinced he could have made any of us on this forum look remotely decent if paired up front with him.  Easily the best example of a) the first two yards only existing in your head but also b) a lack pace keeping him from playing at the highest possible level.  

Genuinely just an unassuming presence on the pitch.  Didn't look like a footballer, didn't move like a footballer but intercourse me could he play with a football.  Even his retirement was unassuming.  Pretty sure he just disappeared without even announcing it, just decided he had run his course.  Probably didn't even bother actually hanging his boots up - more of a flicked kick off his feet, no doubt both going into the bin off the plastic frame.
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 35
diehardmariner
January 12, 2024, 11:03am
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from diehardmariner
Danny North (look up Lump's goal against Carlisle in the cup)...

Tweet 1589198377862193153 will appear here...
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 35
Maringer
January 12, 2024, 11:25am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,560
Gold Stars: 185

4 goals in his first 3 games and then the fragilities of the side overall became too much.  That awful run of 7 consecutive defeats, with only Paterson's last minute consolation at Torquay making sure it wasn't 7 games without scoring, was just dreadful.  I genuinely thought we would never score again.  Confidence is a funny thing though as we then went and thumped Boston 6-0 in the next game.

I went to that Torquay game and then turned down the chance to go with a mate to the Boston game as I couldn't face it. Sod's law we would stuff them. Hat-trick from Bore, wasn't it?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 35
diehardmariner
January 12, 2024, 11:38am
Vodka Drinker
Yeah, one of those days were Bore made you think he was going to go onto something very special.  Not enough of those days for him, unfortunately.  I still can't work out if they were just awful or we just clicked that day.  I think it was probably a combination of both.

Looking up that Torquay game, it looks like we had a centre-back pairing of Gary Harkins and Simon Grand, with Nick Fenton on the bench (came on in the first half).  No wonder we got stuffed!
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 35
LocalLadGTFC
January 12, 2024, 12:00pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.37
Approval: +4,229
Gold Stars: 137
I remember my first ever game, I turned up thinking how on earth is that fat b**tard a footballer... to then just be sat in awe of everything he did for the full 90 minutes. The only player I can liken him to of recent times is Berbatov in the fact he just looked like he couldn't be arsed. He was emotionless and quite cold and that showed on the pitch with just how composed he was.
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 28 - 35
mariner91
January 12, 2024, 12:11pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,666
Gold Stars: 262
Reddy, Paterson, Danny North (look up Lump's goal against Carlisle in the cup)...

All managed an immediate connection with Lump.  A common theme amongst those, I'm convinced he could have made any of us on this forum look remotely decent if paired up front with him.  Easily the best example of a) the first two yards only existing in your head but also b) a lack pace keeping him from playing at the highest possible level.  

Genuinely just an unassuming presence on the pitch.  Didn't look like a footballer, didn't move like a footballer but intercourse me could he play with a football.  Even his retirement was unassuming.  Pretty sure he just disappeared without even announcing it, just decided he had run his course.  Probably didn't even bother actually hanging his boots up - more of a flicked kick off his feet, no doubt both going into the bin off the plastic frame.

A lower league Berbatov. Pure quality. Like Poojah said we've been lucky to have had some very good strikers in the last 20 years despite generally being a bit crap. Reddy, Amond, Bogle, Connell, Danny Rose, McAtee. But Lump was the best. As a millennial who has mainly watched Town since our decline started, he is undoubtedly my favourite ever Town player.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 35
diehardmariner
January 12, 2024, 12:18pm
Vodka Drinker
I was blessed enough to start my journey in the late 80's, to the extent that it was in the mid-90's when someone like Jamie Forrester came along to give me a sense of what seemed poor in comparison (I've erased Murray Jones from memory so he doesn't count).  It wasn't until the days of a well-past it Iffy Onuara and a never-even-had-it Laurens ten Heuvel before I realised what it was really like to have a poor strike force, even during that season we had Michael Boulding, Phil Jevons and an on loan Rankin chipping away with goals.

Birtles, Rees, Woods, Mendonca....yet Lump still sits amongst them and even higher than some in my list of all time favourite players.  Birtles is probably the most like-for-like player I've seen in a Town shirt, not necessarily in their style or ability but more just in how everything was effortless and natural.  You can imagine that they both just tried football one time and were instantly good at it.
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 35
ginnywings
January 12, 2024, 12:31pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.03
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,147
Gold Stars: 548
As good as Lump was, and he was very good, us older fans got to see Trevor Whymark for 4 seasons.

Imagine Lump, but just better at everything, and the best player I have seen in a town shirt.

Sadly has Alzheimer's now.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 35
Son of Cod
January 12, 2024, 12:36pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.93
Rep Score: +8 / 0
Approval: +5,328
Gold Stars: 196
Great comments on Lumpaldinho. One thing not mentioned that I would add is just how quick his feet were at times, made up for that lack of pace.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 35
gytone
January 12, 2024, 3:02pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.14
Rep Score: +6 / -2
Approval: +1,029
Gold Stars: 8
I just remember Whymark he was absolutely class, as was Birtles.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 35
Les Brechin
January 12, 2024, 3:25pm

Posts Per Day: 4.17
Rep Score: +114 / -24
Approval: +12,713
Gold Stars: 174
Quoted from jamesgtfc

I had a "restricted view" seat in the Main Stand next to a column. The view wasn't actually restricted at all, but I just remember some idiot next to me spent the full 90 minutes moaning that we weren't closing them down.

I really enjoyed the game, proper blood and thunder like you say, and we were very unlucky to lose that game.

The only game we've lost that I really enjoyed was the 4-3 defeat against Arsenal in the FA Cup, mid 80's.

OFFICIAL FUNDRAISER FOR THE BRAIN TUMOUR CHARITY
TOTAL AMOUNT RAISED SINCE AUGUST 2008 £16613.24

LATEST DONATION - FROM DONATION FROM THE FISHY FORUM - AUG 2023 AMOUNT RAISED £170.00

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 35
DB
January 12, 2024, 4:45pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.50
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +4,026
Gold Stars: 388
Quoted from gytone
I just remember Whymark he was absolutely class, as was Birtles.

Those were the days and very good they were.

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 35
4 Pages 1 2 3 4 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Martin Patterson

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.