3 Pages Prev 1 2 3 Next All Recommend Thread
lew chaterleys lover
December 22, 2023, 11:53am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,720
Gold Stars: 237
Of course you will lose goals by playing out but not nearly as many by hoofing it and giving the opposition the opportunity to attack us.
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 21
mimma
December 22, 2023, 12:25pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.44
Rep Score: +15 / -2
Approval: +5,573
Gold Stars: 78
Exactly Lew, how many goals have we conceded by playing long balls with nobody to win them gifting the opposition the ball to counter.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 21
Caveman
December 22, 2023, 12:54pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.10
Rep Score: +9 / -1
Approval: +767
Gold Stars: 17
Quoted from Yossarian
Brighton are an excellent team and I like what de zerbi is doing with inviting the press.  So much innovation in football right now - but I crap my pants every time I see Town do it.

Never mind about your pants. What about my dicky-ticker ?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 21
December 22, 2023, 3:56pm
Guest User
Quoted from mimma
Exactly Lew, how many goals have we conceded by playing long balls with nobody to win them gifting the opposition the ball to counter.

It would be interesting if someone could come up with that figure.  Of course it would have to be an instant counter attack resulting in a goal within 30 seconds of the hoof up field to compare it with a defender losing it in his penalty area and quickly losing a goal.

Reply: 13 - 21
rancido
December 22, 2023, 4:51pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,572
Gold Stars: 96
The fact remains that playing out from the back , you retain possession - hoofing it up-field, it becomes a 50/50 ball and even less so with some of the "robust" centre- backs at our level. If professional footballers can't play a ball out of defense ie make simple passes , then they should seek a different profession. Certain training exercises, which I assume the players perform every training session , involve one -touch passing under pressure. They all do this so the defenders should be more than capable of doing this. The problem arises when midfielder's don't make themselves available to receive a pass when the opposition press the defence.

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 21
December 22, 2023, 4:54pm
Guest User
Quoted from rancido
The fact remains that playing out from the back , you retain possession - hoofing it up-field, it becomes a 50/50 ball and even less so with some of the "robust" centre- backs at our level. If professional footballers can't play a ball out of defense ie make simple passes , then they should seek a different profession. Certain training exercises, which I assume the players perform every training session , involve one -touch passing under pressure. They all do this so the defenders should be more than capable of doing this. The problem arises when midfielder's don't make themselves available to receive a pass when the opposition press the defence.

Or like last night, the keeper thinks he is a better dribbler than a goalie.  

Reply: 15 - 21
grimsby pete
December 22, 2023, 6:32pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.80
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,799
Gold Stars: 222
I thought Dean Henderson looked a bit nervy flapping about a few times. He had no chance with Welbecks goal though a brilliant header.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 21
ancientmariner54
December 24, 2023, 7:58pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.09
Rep Score: +3 / 0
Approval: -185
Gold Stars: 13
Quoted from Caveman

Never mind about your pants. What about my dicky-ticker ?

You've got a ticking male private wtf ?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 21
acko338
December 25, 2023, 7:33am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.83
Rep Score: +43 / -6
Approval: +3,223
Gold Stars: 33
Hoof ball - what happens if Danny Rose is injured or suspended?

No plan B, as he is the sole guy up front able to take the tackles or head on long balls sent to him !

Perhaps something needed in the January search??

A player like Kabamba, or another of that physical size and skill levels??..... and a few goals, maybe ??
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 21
dapperz fun pub
December 25, 2023, 8:15am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.59
Rep Score: +37 / -6
Approval: +9,951
Gold Stars: 82
Quoted from Kris2

This is how a team like Wimbledon could do as well as they did at the time. They filled their team with bruisers who could win a lot in the air and bully players off the ball which was effective in the days where punting the ball as far into the opposition half as you can was the meta. As tactics changed more skilled players took the stage as they were needed to make it work, playing a team of giants and thugs is still fairly effective in lower leagues though where smaller, more technical players don't have the pace or strength to avoid being bullied.

Yeah that Dennis wise was a right bruiser
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 21
3 Pages Prev 1 2 3 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Playing out from the back

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.