Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Thread for the data doubters.
Moderators: Moderator
Users Browsing Forum

Thread for the data doubters.

This thread currently has 1,723 views. Print
2 Pages 1 2 Next All Recommend Thread
ginnywings
December 21, 2023, 11:12am

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.03
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,132
Gold Stars: 548
Logged Online
Private Message
GibMariner
December 22, 2023, 4:30am
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.31
Rep Score: +1 / -4
Approval: -953
Gold Stars: 21
Don’t think it’s about doubters. It’s just the case that some think it’s just been invented at GTFC. Data led approach etc. the data tells us something else and the punters / table have it wrong.  
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 13
GrimPol
December 22, 2023, 9:52am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.60
Rep Score: +3 / -7
Approval: -668
Gold Stars: 69
Quoted from GibMariner
Don’t think it’s about doubters. It’s just the case that some think it’s just been invented at GTFC. Data-led approach etc. the data tells us something else and the punters / table have it wrong.  

If PH built a team by Data, Intuition, or Football Understanding or Reading Tea leaves, he didn't do it well enough as we neared the plughole of oblivion.
Thankfully most TheFishy crowd are also "Data Led", we sometimes call it the League Table.

I do appreciate that some reading this whilst shaking sand out of their ears and eyes as they contemplate laser removal of the "I Love PH"  tattoos won't like what I'm saying, when dealing with humans data is a part of andnot the total picture. Players' behaviour is so fickle that last night's argument with their partner means today's open goal miss. Whilst salesmen hawk their quick-fix software to gullible people also wanting quick-fix solutions, please, please do not try to tell me that the team is playing ever so well, and there is nothing wrong as we enter the drop zone.
It would seem JS reads The Fishy as when he wrote some weeks after Doncaster in the Guardian making a case for Data Led  "In Chris Anderson’s and David Sally’s book The Numbers Game: Why Everything You Know About Soccer Is Wrong they suggested that Jürgen Klopp’s last season at Borussia Dortmund wasn’t as bad as it seemed. Although it was disappointing in terms of league position"  

This reminds me of an old joke when a surgeon reported to the family that the "operation went splendidly, textbook fashion actually as it should have, except that the patient died"  I'm sure it was of great comfort to the next of kin, Borrusia Dortmund fans, and Mariner fans pre Doncaster.

I don't know what DA uses as he makes his decisions (although on occasions in his interviews he does seem to distance himself away from being data led) for all I care its a spinning beer bottle, the team has perked up, we are playing better as my investment in reading the Data Sheets (Table) confirms it. UTM.

Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 13
lew chaterleys lover
December 23, 2023, 8:21am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,714
Gold Stars: 237
Reading that makes me more dismissive than ever.

Using data to tell the opposing manager most of Belgiums attacks come from the left hand side...

Smaller nations have improved over time due to a variety of reasons, not least sending their players to the top leagues, but then again in every competition you care to mention minnows do unexpectedly well and have done forever but of course it is now branded as a data led revolution!

The people involved are doing a fantastic marketing job I will give them that.

Private Message
Reply: 3 - 13
WOZOFGRIMSBY
December 23, 2023, 11:44am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.74
Rep Score: +66 / -22
Approval: +8,837
Gold Stars: 178
And there’s me thinking that all the numbers that were crunching was in big brown envelopes

Rose is on fire

And your scotch eggs are fu(king vile
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 13
GibMariner
December 23, 2023, 11:46am
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.31
Rep Score: +1 / -4
Approval: -953
Gold Stars: 21

Smaller nations have improved over time due to a variety of reasons, not least sending their players to the top leagues, but then again in every competition you care to mention minnows do unexpectedly well and have done forever but of course it is now branded as a data led revolution!

Don’t agree with you to often but THIS is spot on 😊😊

Private Message
Reply: 5 - 13
GrimRob
December 23, 2023, 10:18pm

Posts Per Day: 2.12
Rep Score: +76 / -34
Approval: +13,409
Gold Stars: 113
Data is not a magic spell which if you use it means you will succeed. You can cherry-pick all sorts of examples but it doesn't prove a thing. But if everyone else is using it and you're not then it makes it a lot harder.

'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.  
~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Offline
Site Private Message Skype
Reply: 6 - 13
lew chaterleys lover
December 24, 2023, 1:30pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,714
Gold Stars: 237
Quoted from GrimRob
Data is not a magic spell which if you use it means you will succeed. You can cherry-pick all sorts of examples but it doesn't prove a thing. But if everyone else is using it and you're not then it makes it a lot harder.

Or using it makes it a lot worse.

Depends on the quality of the data, who is analysing it, whether a particular manager is receptive to it or not, whether it makes a simple decision more complicated and most importantly whether the application of the results of the data help or hinder.

Presumably if we have been using data for some time, but here we are still at the bottom end of League 2. The most important things are the manager, money to get the better players who the manager wants and the quality of the teams in the league.

Anyway,  Merry Christmas to data lovers everywhere.
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 13
GrimPol
December 24, 2023, 1:41pm
Fine Wine Drinker

Using data to tell the opposing manager most of Belgiums attacks come from the left hand side...

I'm afraid the top countries' national teams are nurtured mainly by the Premier League.

Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 13
GrimPol
December 24, 2023, 1:49pm
Fine Wine Drinker

Or using it makes it a lot worse.

Depends on the quality of the data, who is analysing it, whether a particular manager is receptive to it or not, whether it makes a simple decision more complicated and most importantly whether the application of the results of the data help or hinder.

Presumably if we have been using data for some time, but here we are still at the bottom end of League 2. The most important things are the manager, money to get the better players who the manager wants and the quality of the teams in the league.

Anyway,  Merry Christmas to data lovers everywhere.

Data is like people – interrogate it hard enough and it will tell you whatever you want to hear. UTM
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 13
2 Pages 1 2 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Thread for the data doubters.

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.