This thread currently has 1,966 views. Print
3 Pages 1 2 3 Next All Recommend Thread
promotion plaice
December 21, 2023, 10:56am

Posts Per Day: 3.85
Rep Score: +20 / -13
Approval: +17,062
Gold Stars: 198

"European Super League: Uefa and Fifa rules banning breakaway league unlawful, says court."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/67783970

When Leeds trainer Les Cocker was once told Norman Hunter had broken a leg, he asked: “Whose is it?”
Logged Online
Private Message
Yossarian
December 21, 2023, 11:48am
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.20
Rep Score: +4 / 0
Approval: +1,073
Gold Stars: 18
Given the expansion of the world club tournament next year (32 fkn team!!) and this euro stuff I just feel there is too much football everywhere, every day, all the time.

People only have so much attention span - the powers that be seem to think "oh lets just have real madrid v barcelona" 10 times a season - that is what people want"

I dont think it is what people want - they want games that have meaning.  Not every game can have the intensity of a CL semi or a worldcup final.

Its like trying to eat ice cream 3 times a day 7 days a week
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 27
louth_in_the_south
December 21, 2023, 11:48am

Exile
Posts Per Day: 0.69
Rep Score: +25 / -12
Approval: +5,681
Gold Stars: 96
Knew this would happen. Doesn’t seem the yanks and quataris etc give any sh.it’s about the consequences of this . It’s all about the $$$

Lower F5
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 27
Yossarian
December 21, 2023, 11:49am
Snakebite drinker
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 27
Yossarian
December 21, 2023, 11:51am
Snakebite drinker
Quoted from louth_in_the_south
Knew this would happen. Doesn’t seem the yanks and quataris etc give any sh.it’s about the consequences of this . It’s all about the $$$

And those $$$ will diminish as the same old low intensity slop is churned out week after week.

Players are not machines.

I've stopped watching CL for example because it is just so utterly fkn meaningless until the knock out phases - and even the first knoc out phase this year is hardly worth the effort.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 27
GrimRob
December 21, 2023, 12:38pm

Posts Per Day: 2.12
Rep Score: +76 / -34
Approval: +13,403
Gold Stars: 113
They can have the ESL as long as there is relegation and promotion. Grimsby v Barcelona must be theoretically possible as a fixture.

'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.  
~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Online
Site Private Message Skype
Reply: 5 - 27
IlkleyMariner
December 21, 2023, 1:19pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +12 / -1
Approval: +3,012
Gold Stars: 69
Frankly I’m past caring
I don’t watch Champions League.
I don’t watch the 100 at cricket
I don’t watch LIV golf
I don’t watch Saudi Soccer
I don’t watch American Football

Anything driven by money stinks.
I watch sport, not bankers

If I have to I’ll end up following Northern Premier League…..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 27
Mappers
December 21, 2023, 1:42pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 5.43
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +4,317
Gold Stars: 117
Quoted from Yossarian
Given the expansion of the world club tournament next year (32 fkn team!!) and this euro stuff I just feel there is too much football everywhere, every day, all the time.

People only have so much attention span - the powers that be seem to think "oh lets just have real madrid v barcelona" 10 times a season - that is what people want"

I dont think it is what people want - they want games that have meaning.  Not every game can have the intensity of a CL semi or a worldcup final.

Its like trying to eat ice cream 3 times a day 7 days a week

Went off watching much of it  about 15 years ago , know some with the firesticks that watch games one after another from all leagues all weekend  , not sure why but if it's your thing go ahead .

I just watch Town and that does me as it's the only team I care about , I watch the big tournaments aswell and the odd 'big one ' like the FA cup final but much like the EPL if this goes ahead I have no interest apart from I would find it funny if it went pop .
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 27
Poojah
December 21, 2023, 1:59pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,541
Gold Stars: 1,500
The reality is, this was written on the wall the moment the PGA Tour merged with LIV Golf. Ultimately, we are living in a world increasingly motivated by money, and there are parties out there with effectively infinite quantities of it and seemingly a point to prove. Quite what that point is I’m not sure, but they seem determined to try and prove it nonetheless.

For context, the combined net worth of the royal families of Saudi Arabia, Kuwait, Qatar and the UAE is something like $6 trillion US dollars. That’s such an astonishingly large amount of money it’s hard to grasp, but 1 trillion is in effect 1 million million (making 6 trillion 6 million million). Put in other words, it’s double the size of the entire UK economy (the UK being the 6th largest economy in the world). It would take a military jet flying at the speed of sound, reeling out a roll of dollar bills behind it, 84 years before it reeled out 6 trillion dollar bills. Yes, I Googled that.

With that kind of cash on the table, anything goes, and concepts like tradition and sporting integrity fly out the window. It’s a sad, cynical reality, and one I don’t like, but it’s reality nonetheless.

Is there a market for it? Perhaps not in England, or in Spain, or in Germany, but in the vast and rapidly growing economies of the middle and far east, you can bet there is. As depressing as it is, it’s now simply a case of “when” and not “if”.

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 27
Chrisblor
December 21, 2023, 3:18pm

Elemér Berkessy
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.22
Rep Score: +51 / -20
Approval: +8,828
Gold Stars: 235
The Saudi's can get to intercourse, we get better attendances in League Two than most of their domestic sides manage, even with billions being pumped into them. Maybe they should try and fix that first before trying to hoover up European clubs with actual supporters who go to matches into some grotesque pan-continental super league format.

gary jones
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 27
3 Pages 1 2 3 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › European Super League ban unlawful

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.