Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Don't be safe...
Moderators: Moderator
Users Browsing Forum

Don't be safe...

This thread currently has 4,380 views. Print
4 Pages 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
moosey_club
December 10, 2023, 10:44pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.71
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,268
Gold Stars: 226
D.A can be heard telling the players this in the players warm up mini game before the game on the Crewe Inside matchday video.
Only 3 words but quite a telling comment /insight into where we are heading.
Excellent.

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWLWL but not NLN 😁
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Online
Private Message
Heisenberg
December 11, 2023, 6:26am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.80
Rep Score: +9 / -1
Approval: +5,074
Gold Stars: 93
Quoted from moosey_club
D.A can be heard telling the players this in the players warm up mini game before the game on the Crewe Inside matchday video.
Excellent.

I’m all for that, but the downside is we’re gonna have to get used to even more playing out from the back, which if Prem players struggle with (they do) then there’ll be some hairy moments coming up for us.

I noticed a few times we were passing it around in defence on Saturday but Cartwright had no choice but to lump it when we got in tight situations, so we’re definitely not proficient at it yet.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 32
Maringer
December 11, 2023, 7:05am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,560
Gold Stars: 185
Ultimately, if you try and play out but have to end up lumping it, that's not too much of a problem. Not greatly different to punting a goal kick directly upfield.

It's better than being caught in possession near your box.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 32
gtfc_chris
December 11, 2023, 7:12am
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.48
Rep Score: +10 / 0
Approval: +1,465
Gold Stars: 114
Quoted from Heisenberg

I’m all for that, but the downside is we’re gonna have to get used to even more playing out from the back, which if Prem players struggle with (they do) then there’ll be some hairy moments coming up for us.

I noticed a few times we were passing it around in defence on Saturday but Cartwright had no choice but to lump it when we got in tight situations, so we’re definitely not proficient at it yet.

I'm taking some of your words and the basic theme of this post and applying it across the whole range of views which might seem like an individual dig but this is an example of what frustrates me in a wider context.

We as fans want to be entertained, we want the ball forward, we want chances, we want goals and we want to win games. To do that comes a level of risk, PH was considered very risk averse and this drew pelters from many quarters.

DA is cognisant of the fact that if we want to play football in a way to excite then safety is not a routine practice. There will of course be times when we have to play safe (HC kicking long), but generally we need to have a higher level of risk.

Playing out from the back isn't risky in the traditional sense. They're simply passing the ball, that should - for the most part - be pretty standard and routine. The element of risk is that any mistakes potentially give the ball to the opposition closer to our goal.

If you understand why we pass the ball then you'll understand why playing out from the back has become a staple part of the modern game. I'm all for it and although it can leave you a little heart in mouth at times I wouldn't want to move away from it.

I thought that the MK Dons game was a much better performance than the Crewe game but both have been positive showings and I think we're going to win/draw more than we lose for the rest of the season and I attribute a more purposeful playing out from the back as a big reason for that. Both PH and DA wanted to play out but I think DA recognises that what you gain from it is lost if you don't follow it with risk, which is very different to PH and a big reason for the differences we've seen in style.

I'm willing to bet we concede at least one goal this season as a direct result of a mistake playing out and more as indirect results but we'll also score considerable amounts more too. I place myself firmly on the side of the fence that wants to see us play football all over the pitch so more than happy seeing us play out from the back.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 32
mimma
December 11, 2023, 9:02am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.44
Rep Score: +15 / -2
Approval: +5,573
Gold Stars: 78
If the keeper has to punt it, it's because 2-3 or more opponents are in or around our penalty area thus leaving space for the forwards to exploit. In the past when Macca got the ball he would just hoof it aimlessly down the middle which is always food and drink for defenders.
I use to get annoyed when both teams were in a huddle close to the halfway line on one side of the pitch waiting for a goal kick. It was like watching schoolboys playing in the playground.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 32
lew chaterleys lover
December 11, 2023, 9:14am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,731
Gold Stars: 237
We will concede far more goals by simply hoofing it up the field than playing football FROM the back.

The idea is you only hoof it when it's absolutely essential and the more we play in this style the better we will get.

It will only work if you truly believe in it which is why Hurst couldn't adapt.
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 32
grimps
December 11, 2023, 10:01am
balderdash
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.79
Rep Score: +21 / -19
Approval: +5,129
Gold Stars: 46
Quoted from Maringer
Ultimately, if you try and play out but have to end up lumping it, that's not too much of a problem. Not greatly different to punting a goal kick directly upfield.

It's better than being caught in possession near your box.

I'm not so sure to be honest.
Booting the ball up field has at best a 50/50 chance of going to a Town player, probably a lot less as there are usually more of the defending teams' players in their half, probably even less when you think that most of their defenders are usually taller than our strike force plus our attackers have to control the ball and find another Town player.
I'm sure that statistically it's better to play out from the back to build on play and play attractive football , the only problem is when it goes wrong it goes very wrong and can easily result in a goal
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 32
MrThirsty
December 11, 2023, 10:26am
Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.01
Rep Score: +3 / 0
Approval: +236
Gold Stars: 4
Quoted from gtfc_chris

I'm taking some of your words and the basic theme of this post and applying it across the whole range of views which might seem like an individual dig but this is an example of what frustrates me in a wider context.

We as fans want to be entertained, we want the ball forward, we want chances, we want goals and we want to win games. To do that comes a level of risk, PH was considered very risk averse and this drew pelters from many quarters.

DA is cognisant of the fact that if we want to play football in a way to excite then safety is not a routine practice. There will of course be times when we have to play safe (HC kicking long), but generally we need to have a higher level of risk.

Playing out from the back isn't risky in the traditional sense. They're simply passing the ball, that should - for the most part - be pretty standard and routine. The element of risk is that any mistakes potentially give the ball to the opposition closer to our goal.

If you understand why we pass the ball then you'll understand why playing out from the back has become a staple part of the modern game. I'm all for it and although it can leave you a little heart in mouth at times I wouldn't want to move away from it.

I thought that the MK Dons game was a much better performance than the Crewe game but both have been positive showings and I think we're going to win/draw more than we lose for the rest of the season and I attribute a more purposeful playing out from the back as a big reason for that. Both PH and DA wanted to play out but I think DA recognises that what you gain from it is lost if you don't follow it with risk, which is very different to PH and a big reason for the differences we've seen in style.

I'm willing to bet we concede at least one goal this season as a direct result of a mistake playing out and more as indirect results but we'll also score considerable amounts more too. I place myself firmly on the side of the fence that wants to see us play football all over the pitch so more than happy seeing us play out from the back.

Broadly agree with this but in comparison to the MK game the pitch was very heavy on Saturday so at times I was happy that HC took the pragmatic approach. Also, if the opposition does push forward and we have a one on one situation then a long ball can be productive.

Even this early into the new regime there were people around me shouting for players to stop passing the ball around and to get it forward. They are definitely going to get more frustrated in the coming games.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 32
Azimuth
December 11, 2023, 10:28am
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.18
Rep Score: +3 / -4
Approval: +694
Gold Stars: 60
Quoted from moosey_club
Excellent.

I like his no nonsense but motivational and very clear attitude and instructions, that obviously rubs off on the players and they have a real leader and someone who they are very clearly playing for.
There is something about DA that screams winner, with all due respect to PH and lesser respect to PH's predecesors this has been missing at the club for a very long time.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 32
Epworth Mariner
December 11, 2023, 6:55pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.16
Rep Score: +4 / 0
Approval: +653
Gold Stars: 57
Puts the shits up me to be honest………
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 32
4 Pages 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Don't be safe...

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.