Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Just back ( youth edition )
Moderators: Moderator
Users Browsing Forum

Just back ( youth edition )

This thread currently has 5,078 views. Print
5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 All Recommend Thread
Southwark Mariner
December 6, 2023, 4:36pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.69
Rep Score: +21 / -6
Approval: +3,550
Gold Stars: 83
'Woods' acorns grow into Mighty (Mariner) Oaks and keep Forest at Bay" (tree)....or something
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 49
Nantwichmariner
December 6, 2023, 5:10pm
Coke Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.01
Approval: +39
Gold Stars: 1
Ref Johnnie Oster's sending off for the Youth Team,I remember going to Villa Park in the mid 90s with a mate who's lad played for them that night. We lost and Im sure JO was sent off. He'd definitely played for the first team by then and it was one of the later rounds of the FA Youth Cup. Hope that helps trigger someone's memory.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 49
toontown
December 6, 2023, 5:11pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +6,279
Gold Stars: 70
Quoted from Nantwichmariner
Ref Johnnie Oster's sending off for the Youth Team,I remember going to Villa Park in the mid 90s with a mate who's lad played for them that night. We lost and Im sure JO was sent off. He'd definitely played for the first team by then and it was one of the later rounds of the FA Youth Cup. Hope that helps trigger someone's memory.

Yep that must have been it, cheers
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 49
forza ivano
December 6, 2023, 5:20pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.46
Rep Score: +72 / -20
Approval: +15,204
Gold Stars: 265
Quoted from DaleH
My son is an under 16 at the academy, and has been there for two seasons. It has been a truly brilliant experience for him, in which he has developed well as a player, grown in confidence, and made a lot of super friends.

Sadly for him, we know that he won't have a scholarship with the youth team come next season, but even so we wouldn't have swapped the last two seasons for anything in the world. Every one of the 9x u16's not getting scholarships left the club immediately upon being notified on 28 October, to continue playing football elsewhere. And believe me, the decision making process must have been really difficult, as the under 16's were a fantastic group of players. My lad decided to stay until the end of the season though, as he wants to keep training and playing at the highest level that he can to assist him further in trying to make his football career elsewhere. And I cannot speak highly enough of how supportive Neil Woods and his staff have been in supporting him, in what is a difficult time for a young footballer. They have been terrific with him. On a personal note, we are very proud of our lad for showing the strength of character not to give up and keep pitching up three nights a week from Skegness and on matchdays. His hard work and Neil's support has already resulted in him getting an offer of a scholarship with a National League club, as well a strong possibility of a second opportunity with Chesterfield if they get promoted back to the EFL.  None of this would be possible without the support of Neil and the guys at the Grimsby Town Academy, and we will be forever grateful to them.

I hear lots of horror stories about kids released from academy's, and I have also read that book "No Hunger In Paradise" by Michael Calvin (and seen the documentary around it). All I can say is, that in the case of Grimsby Town Academy, this has not been our experience for my boy. He has been looked after brilliantly, with a high degree of compassion and care. I'd actually say that it has been managed in such a way that has quite possibly spurred him on even more to try and succeed.

It came as no surprise to me that the Youth Team turned Forest over last night, and I am absolutely buzzin for them all. Especially for the two boys from little old Skegness, Billy Bradley (capt) and Jack Collins. Billy and his family are good family friends of ours, and that lad is an absolute diamond of a boy. He is the most delightful kid you could ever wish to meet, who is mature beyond his years, caring, and with the most impeccable manners you could ever imagine. I am thrilled for both of them, but particularly for Billy.

Well done to all of the lads in the Youth Team. And well done to Neil Woods and Callum Lester, and everyone else in the academy who can also take credit for getting these lads to where they are.

That's great to hear Dale, and echoes what I've heard previously.  It's just a shame there is , necessarily, such a high rate of attrition. I remember speaking to Ian Knight who said that every squad was cut by around half at the end of every season. And of course those that manage to battle their way through to last years group have v. Little chance of making a single F.L. appearance.

Good luck to your lad, his determination n dedication deserves a bit of success
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 49
BraStrap
December 6, 2023, 5:20pm
Exile
Posts Per Day: 0.05
Rep Score: +3 / -5
Approval: +92
Gold Stars: 1
Woods beat Forest. I like it.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 49
crusty ole pie
December 6, 2023, 5:24pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.54
Rep Score: +16 / -1
Approval: +3,349
Gold Stars: 66
Quoted from DaleH
My son is an under 16 at the academy, and has been there for two seasons. It has been a truly brilliant experience for him, in which he has developed well as a player, grown in confidence, and made a lot of super friends.

Sadly for him, we know that he won't have a scholarship with the youth team come next season, but even so we wouldn't have swapped the last two seasons for anything in the world. Every one of the 9x u16's not getting scholarships left the club immediately upon being notified on 28 October, to continue playing football elsewhere. And believe me, the decision making process must have been really difficult, as the under 16's were a fantastic group of players. My lad decided to stay until the end of the season though, as he wants to keep training and playing at the highest level that he can to assist him further in trying to make his football career elsewhere. And I cannot speak highly enough of how supportive Neil Woods and his staff have been in supporting him, in what is a difficult time for a young footballer. They have been terrific with him. On a personal note, we are very proud of our lad for showing the strength of character not to give up and keep pitching up three nights a week from Skegness and on matchdays. His hard work and Neil's support has already resulted in him getting an offer of a scholarship with a National League club, as well a strong possibility of a second opportunity with Chesterfield if they get promoted back to the EFL.  None of this would be possible without the support of Neil and the guys at the Grimsby Town Academy, and we will be forever grateful to them.

I hear lots of horror stories about kids released from academy's, and I have also read that book "No Hunger In Paradise" by Michael Calvin (and seen the documentary around it). All I can say is, that in the case of Grimsby Town Academy, this has not been our experience for my boy. He has been looked after brilliantly, with a high degree of compassion and care. I'd actually say that it has been managed in such a way that has quite possibly spurred him on even more to try and succeed.

It came as no surprise to me that the Youth Team turned Forest over last night, and I am absolutely buzzin for them all. Especially for the two boys from little old Skegness, Billy Bradley (capt) and Jack Collins. Billy and his family are good family friends of ours, and that lad is an absolute diamond of a boy. He is the most delightful kid you could ever wish to meet, who is mature beyond his years, caring, and with the most impeccable manners you could ever imagine. I am thrilled for both of them, but particularly for Billy.

Well done to all of the lads in the Youth Team. And well done to Neil Woods and Callum Lester, and everyone else in the academy who can also take credit for getting these lads to where they are.

A gold star from me
All those lads last night were a credit to the club
They busted a gut and more for each other a joy to watch
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 49
DaleH
December 6, 2023, 5:36pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.18
Rep Score: +3 / 0
Approval: +816
Gold Stars: 168
Quoted from forza ivano

That's great to hear Dale, and echoes what I've heard previously.  It's just a shame there is , necessarily, such a high rate of attrition. I remember speaking to Ian Knight who said that every squad was cut by around half at the end of every season. And of course those that manage to battle their way through to last years group have v. Little chance of making a single F.L. appearance.

Good luck to your lad, his determination n dedication deserves a bit of success

Thank you.

At the end of the day, it's elite level professional sport isn't it, and if it was easy, we'd all be doing it wouldn't we. You just have to manage your expectations and be realistic about things. If you get those expectations right, then being in a professional academy can be a super all-encompassing holistic experience and journey.

Every season there are around 9500 players across the Premier League and EFL in professional football club academies. Only three quarters of 1% go on to have sustainable careers as football professionals. That's how hard it is to become a pro. But that doesn't mean that being in an academy without making it as a pro can't be a truly fantastic and life enriching experience. Just manage the expectations of the young player whilst encouraging them to graft. But most importantly, manage your own expectations as a parent.

But hey, lets not turn this thread into something that it wasn't intended to be. I merely wanted to highlight what a good job the academy do of looking after people, even those that are coming to the end of their time with them. So let's celebrate that we have a great academy and that the current crop of scholars in the youth team are doing fantastically well, no matter how many of them go onto become full time professionals. And lets hope that some of those will go on to be the next Harry Clifton's and Evan Kouri's at Grimsby.

Up the Mariners

Time to resurrect my Fishy signature again. So here goes.

"BE CAREFUL WHAT YOU WISH FOR"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 49
GrimPol
December 6, 2023, 5:42pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.60
Rep Score: +3 / -7
Approval: -674
Gold Stars: 69
Quoted from crusty ole pie

A gold star from me
All those lads last night were a credit to the club
They busted a gut and more for each other a joy to watch

We should have made our First Team watch them and see their determination and effort.
Ran themselves into the ground in the first 90 mins, then just started again for the next 30 mins.  Inspiring or what?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 49
ginnywings
December 6, 2023, 6:17pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.03
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,143
Gold Stars: 548
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 48 - 49
HertsGTFC
December 6, 2023, 8:44pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.27
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,952
Gold Stars: 228
Quoted from DaleH

I don’t go in for all the ❌ ✅ 🌟 bollox but if this isn’t post of the week or whatever it’s called then I’d be amazed.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 49 - 49
5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Just back ( youth edition )

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.