bedders78
December 6, 2023, 9:32am
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.14
Rep Score: +3 / -3
Approval: +834
Gold Stars: 12
Quoted from forza ivano

đź‘Ť jack lester, simon buckley, joby gowshall, jimmy neil, Mark clohessy  Dont remember  any of the others. Buckley n Gowshall went on to play at a decent non league standard. Dunno what happened to Neill or Clohessy

Jimmy Neil went on to play a few seasons for Grantham, Clohessy appears to be FAI Girls’ Centre of Excellence Goalkeeper Coach

Grim Outlook exile
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 80 - 94
TwoLeftFeet
December 6, 2023, 11:07am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.18
Rep Score: +4 / 0
Approval: +2,082
Gold Stars: 18
Quoted from bedders78

The team that beat Torquay in the previous round was:

Clohessy
Barratt
Neil
Martin
Gowshall
Cook
Brookes
Lester
Lambert
Buckley
Mulhall
Subs: Black, McPhee

Paul Martin used to run with him back in the day think he represented England at Junior level 400m ran for Clee AC

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 81 - 94
TownSNAFU5
December 6, 2023, 11:17am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +30 / -21
Approval: +6,883
Gold Stars: 42
What a great achievement last night. Maybe even better than it looks.

It is worth repeating that the academy set-up at Forest is as good or better than most in the PL.  

They would probably have won the FA Youth Cup in 2022 had a brilliant player called Garnacho not scored 2 goals in the final.

Man United had a genius (he of the overhead goal recently and great goal for them last week away in the CL).

United had home advantage and a near capacity crowd at Old Trafford supporting them.

In summary, we beat a team and club at the very top. One with far more coaching and development resources than we could ever dream about. They also trawl for the best young players from all over the country.

Ironic then that the difference in resources was illustrated last night with the home fans all in the Main Stand - built in 1901 or 1903.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 82 - 94
Poojah
December 6, 2023, 11:52am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,606
Gold Stars: 1,503
Quoted from TownSNAFU5
What a great achievement last night. Maybe even better than it looks.

It is worth repeating that the academy set-up at Forest is as good or better than most in the PL.  

They would probably have won the FA Youth Cup in 2022 had a brilliant player called Garnacho not scored 2 goals in the final.

Man United had a genius (he of the overhead goal recently and great goal for them last week away in the CL).

United had home advantage and a near capacity crowd at Old Trafford supporting them.

In summary, we beat a team and club at the very top. One with far more coaching and development resources than we could ever dream about. They also trawl for the best young players from all over the country.

Ironic then that the difference in resources was illustrated last night with the home fans all in the Main Stand - built in 1901 or 1903.

Do we have a team sheet for the Forest lineup last night? All I can find is references to their game in the “BSM Trophy” (nope, I had no idea it had a sponsor now, either). Bristol Street Motors, another shíthouse company to avoid.

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 83 - 94
Southwark Mariner
December 6, 2023, 11:54am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.69
Rep Score: +21 / -6
Approval: +3,550
Gold Stars: 83
Quoted from Poojah

Do we have a team sheet for the Forest lineup last night? All I can find is references to their game in the “BSM Trophy” (nope, I had no idea it had a sponsor now, either). Bristol Street Motors, another shíthouse company to avoid.

In the match report:

Forest: Keehan Willows, James Sinclair, Henry Lister, Tony Gbopo, David Modupe, Theo Robinson, Evan Boulter, Archie Whitehall, Connor Brown, Cormac Daly, Danny Anisjko

Subs: Theo Avery, Georgios Lemonakis, Will Thompson, Amarn Robinson, Isaac Davies, Fuad Smith, Jayden Powell

https://gtfc.co.uk/report-youth-team-beat-forest/
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 84 - 94
Poojah
December 6, 2023, 12:02pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,606
Gold Stars: 1,503
Ta!

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 85 - 94
Hagrid
December 6, 2023, 12:03pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.80
Rep Score: +49 / -21
Approval: +20,437
Gold Stars: 536
Quoted from Poojah

Aye they've sacked off Papa Johns, all done very quietly
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 86 - 94
diehardmariner
December 7, 2023, 9:15am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,634
Gold Stars: 539
Papa John's opted against renewing.  Previous deal was worth ÂŁ1million a season.

I'm no marketing expert and I do get the exposure level is much higher in the final of this competition, unfortunately (just shy of 80,000 fans in attendance at last seasons final, 85,000 in 2019, 74,000 in 2017).  But that seems crazy money to me for a competition that most people don't give a excrement about, those that do are firmly opposed to. To the point I probably would steer clear of Bristol Street Motors just because they sponsor this excrement.
Private Message
Reply: 87 - 94
louth_in_the_south
December 7, 2023, 10:55am

Exile
Posts Per Day: 0.69
Rep Score: +25 / -12
Approval: +5,693
Gold Stars: 96
Bet they’re not paying anything like £1m either

Lower F5
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 88 - 94
mimma
December 7, 2023, 11:25am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.44
Rep Score: +15 / -2
Approval: +5,573
Gold Stars: 78
On the subject of Mariner TV coverage, would it be possible to have a commentary on the game? We had a Town teamsheet but the numbers on the shirts are impossible to read so I didn't have a clue who was who.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 89 - 94
10 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Youth Cup on Mariners TV

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.