4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 All Recommend Thread
GrimRob
December 7, 2023, 5:46pm

Posts Per Day: 2.12
Rep Score: +76 / -34
Approval: +13,418
Gold Stars: 113
Quoted from Poojah

I dunno. In the context of music, I’m probably the equivalent of your armchair football fan. I like music, I enjoy listening to it, and I listen to it a good few hours a day. All via Spotify. The only thing that’s changed in that regard is that it’s now Spotify instead of Napster, and it was Napster instead of CDs, and before that cassettes and vinyl records, and not because vinyl was cool back then - I just inherited them (and a record player) off my older sister.

I very much doubt the people who are devoted to live music, as we are to live football, will be swayed massively by the digitisation of the art form. Because for them, it’s the purest, richest way to enjoy music. Just like football in the flesh is to us.

Every form of entertainment has its day. We've grown up and digital music came along when we were young so we lapped it up. Go back far enough though and there was a lot of opposition to the gramophone, "they" (i.e. the older generations) said it would run music. The cinema would ruin theatre etc etc they claimed but the young always embrace new technology. In a sense the concert hall and the theatre have been turned into niche activities, young people just prefer their replacements and they become the norm for the next generation. Sport like anything else doesn't sit still, it moves with the audience. Cricket has all but reinvented itself.  Football has changed immensely over the last 20 years and will keep changing.

'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.  
~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Offline
Site Private Message Skype
Reply: 30 - 32
December 7, 2023, 6:14pm
Guest User
Quoted from GrimRob
Every form of entertainment has its day. We've grown up and digital music came along when we were young so we lapped it up. Go back far enough though and there was a lot of opposition to the gramophone, "they" (i.e. the older generations) said it would run music. The cinema would ruin theatre etc etc they claimed but the young always embrace new technology. In a sense the concert hall and the theatre have been turned into niche activities, young people just prefer their replacements and they become the norm for the next generation. Sport like anything else doesn't sit still, it moves with the audience. Cricket has all but reinvented itself.  Football has changed immensely over the last 20 years and will keep changing.

Change is inevitable, but progress isn't.

Nobody is disputing the changes, it's the progress - or otherwise - that's the issue here.

Shrugging your shoulders and uttering "well, things change" is why we have a climate crisis (and many other issues).
Reply: 31 - 32
Yoda
December 8, 2023, 11:04pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.29
Rep Score: +5 / -20
Approval: -3,146
Gold Stars: 71
If the Sky deal is bigger will our league 2 payment rise.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 32
4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › New Premier League domestic TV deal

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.