4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
Maringer
December 5, 2023, 7:29am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,512
Gold Stars: 185
A good time to be a former player looking for a job as a tedious pundit who talks in clichés and platitudes.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 32
It Bites
December 5, 2023, 7:39am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.45
Rep Score: +4 / -10
Approval: +2,192
Gold Stars: 265
Quoted from Maringer
A good time to be a former player looking for a job as a tedious pundit who talks in clichés and platitudes.

Don’t forget to come across in an aggressive manner to make a point
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 32
Ruston AT
December 5, 2023, 8:55am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.12
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +431
Gold Stars: 10

So how much of the moola will filter down the leagues...........very little the greedy b******ds will want it all.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 32
diehardmariner
December 5, 2023, 8:57am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,622
Gold Stars: 539
So about 6 or 7 games that are going to be broadcast live each round of fixtures?

I mean who wants to watch that?  I get it that some people like football more than others but I don't think I can think of anything worse than watching a marathon of football on a Sunday featuring Sheffield United v Wolves and Bournemouth v Everton.

I can barely stomach watching MOTD most weeks, in fact I'll often end up catching 20 minutes or so.  

There's got to be an oversaturation point, surely?
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 32
pen penfras
December 5, 2023, 9:24am

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.66
Rep Score: +8 / -9
Approval: -126
Gold Stars: 71
Quoted from diehardmariner
So about 6 or 7 games that are going to be broadcast live each round of fixtures?

I mean who wants to watch that?  I get it that some people like football more than others but I don't think I can think of anything worse than watching a marathon of football on a Sunday featuring Sheffield United v Wolves and Bournemouth v Everton.

I can barely stomach watching MOTD most weeks, in fact I'll often end up catching 20 minutes or so.  

There's got to be an oversaturation point, surely?

I don't think there is an oversaturation point. Most Premier League clubs have at least 100k fans, some a lot more. Plenty of them will watch every game their team has, then there's the nutters who will watch any football because they love it so much. Every game will be televised eventually.

The interesting thing is that this deal is only 4% higher than the last one, which rolled over the previous deal. I think that means 4% increase over 6 years. So it seems the money may be reaching the peak. Although I don't think this includes international rights, which probably grow faster.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 32
Les Brechin
December 5, 2023, 9:32am

Posts Per Day: 4.17
Rep Score: +114 / -24
Approval: +12,713
Gold Stars: 174
Quoted from GollyGTFC
Sky Sports will show 215 games live each season.
TNT Sports will show 52 games live each season.

That only leaves 113 games that won’t be televised.

Which means there will only be 113 Saturday 3PM kick-off games per season from the 32 Premier League weekend fixture dates.

That equates to 3.53 Saturday 3PM games per week.

And the average Premier League team will only have 5.65 Saturday 3PM fixtures per season. Some will have more. Some will have less. Maybe someone will have none?

You often get games played on  Sunday that aren't televised too, if one of the teams has had a Thursday European game so it'll be a lot less that 113 I would think.

OFFICIAL FUNDRAISER FOR THE BRAIN TUMOUR CHARITY
TOTAL AMOUNT RAISED SINCE AUGUST 2008 £16613.24

LATEST DONATION - FROM DONATION FROM THE FISHY FORUM - AUG 2023 AMOUNT RAISED £170.00

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 32
toontown
December 5, 2023, 1:43pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +6,279
Gold Stars: 70
Quoted from pen penfras

I don't think there is an oversaturation point. Most Premier League clubs have at least 100k fans, some a lot more. Plenty of them will watch every game their team has, then there's the nutters who will watch any football because they love it so much. Every game will be televised eventually.

The interesting thing is that this deal is only 4% higher than the last one, which rolled over the previous deal. I think that means 4% increase over 6 years. So it seems the money may be reaching the peak. Although I don't think this includes international rights, which probably grow faster.

Only 4 percent higher but haven't they had to show more games live to get that 4? Probably less money per game? At a time when inflation is running so high it seems maybe the peak cash point has been reached a few years ago (before COVID) domestically in terms of money per match to be made.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 32
Gaffer58
December 5, 2023, 2:03pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.88
Rep Score: +6 / -8
Approval: +4,096
Gold Stars: 33
Was reading that the amount Sky pay per game is less in the new contract then now, so I suppose in their eyes that’s a good deal,also Sky have grabbed 80% off all televised games, they will only be happy when they have a monopoly, if allowed? Would assume with the new football league deal and this new premiership one then not be too long where every game will be shown, probably with a type of club tv season ticket.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 32
BenBB
December 5, 2023, 7:56pm

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.20
Rep Score: +1 / -2
Approval: +843
Gold Stars: 30
Quoted from pen penfras

Every game will be televised eventualy.

They are already, except some earlier FA Cup / Carabao Cup matches. Just on some random channel in the Middle East rather than in the UK. Usually with British/English-speaking commentators too. That's why IPTV is so popular because you can get access to them.

Logged Offline
Site Private Message Skype
Reply: 18 - 32
toontown
December 5, 2023, 9:10pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +6,279
Gold Stars: 70
Quoted from Gaffer58
Was reading that the amount Sky pay per game is less in the new contract then now, so I suppose in their eyes that’s a good deal,also Sky have grabbed 80% off all televised games, they will only be happy when they have a monopoly, if allowed? Would assume with the new football league deal and this new premiership one then not be too long where every game will be shown, probably with a type of club tv season ticket.

They aren't allowed to have all the games, hence why multiple packages
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 32
4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › New Premier League domestic TV deal

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.