3 Pages Prev 1 2 3 All Recommend Thread
Kris2
November 29, 2023, 8:23pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.65
Rep Score: +16 / -18
Approval: +2,634
Gold Stars: 136
Hopefully Hunt has a manager now who is willing to work with him and give him the chance to impress. He came in because of an injury and Harry being the only one who could slot in that position and he took that roaming midfield position on well with some good movement and passing.

Never quite understood what Hurst wanted from him because he got frozen out and always looked out of position as a defensive midfielder, he doesn't do the things Conteh does well, he's better at finding passes and taking set pieces. It's like after losing Ben Fox he tried to turn Hunt into that type of player that picks up loose balls and breaks up play but then the midfield always looked too deep. We need somebody in the midfield making those surging runs and moving the ball about, just from one game last night it was obvious we have needed that.
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 22
coddy60
November 29, 2023, 9:31pm

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.14
Rep Score: +7 / -16
Approval: +652
Gold Stars: 13
Quoted from 123614

Agreed, and that would indicate that some of our players are not as good passers as Hunt, but my point is that a good professional footballer will make those passes 9 times out of 10, that doesn't make him great, or brilliant, or outstanding but an average footballer playing in a League Two side.

Attention seeking moron ffs
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 22
diehardmariner
November 30, 2023, 9:31am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,630
Gold Stars: 539
Quoted from MuddyWaters

I fully admit to being a paid up member of the Alex Hunt Fan Club but I was probably most surprised by his movement and running last night, something that we haven't seen enough of. It seemed that the shackles were off - great to see and long may it continue.

My brother-in-law is a Sheff Weds fan and on a near weekly basis will ask how Hunt is getting on.  It's to his constant amazement that Hunt has been used, sparingly, as a holding midfielder with a remit to distribute play from deep.  He was long seen as the successor to Barry Bannan at Hillsborough in a far more advanced role, I suppose a No 8 type if we're using modern positions. I've had that constant reminder that Hunt is capable of running at teams and carrying the ball, but it's something we've not seen very often in a Town shirt.

I've mentioned before in the Lincoln home pre-season game he was used much further forward and was running at them, Conteh providing that cover deeper in midfield.  Friendly game yes and understrength Lincoln in the first half yes.  But he showed a big hint of then of what he can do, disappointingly Hurst then opted to go with him and Conteh both holding when the season started.  

I've done little to hide that I think Hunt is potentially a very special player and have long advocated for him to get a fair chance in a position that suits him.  However, just like how 15 minutes here and there wasn't fair to judge him on, nor is 65 minutes in an open end-to-end game.  Consistency is always King, that's the biggest test for Hunt to show that he can do it more often than not.  I'm confident that Artell is the type of manager who will give him that opportunity.  Equally so I like the movement that we saw on Tuesday (to be fair in bits of the previous games under Pearson/Davies) that will compliment Hunt's attributes too.

Private Message
Reply: 22 - 22
3 Pages Prev 1 2 3 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Alex Hunt

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.