1mickylyons
November 29, 2023, 3:08pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.53
Rep Score: +42 / -14
Approval: +9,386
Gold Stars: 56
Quoted from 123614

Yes it is, and that's why I said he had a good game.  I just thought that some posts after the game were a little overwhelming regarding his performance, such as 'absolute class' , 'brilliant' etc. when there were other players doing the same as him.  And FWIW my opinion is that Mullarkey was the MOTM, despite his slip for their goal.

After being largely frozen out barring odd minutes here and there since signing a 3 year deal the mental strength required for a young player to perform like that on recall I think was outstanding. I agree ref Mullarkey.Cartwright too again looked assured and took some good crosses.The only way is Up
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 22
1mickylyons
November 29, 2023, 3:10pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.53
Rep Score: +42 / -14
Approval: +9,386
Gold Stars: 56
Quoted from 123614

Agreed, and that would indicate that some of our players are not as good passers as Hunt, but my point is that a good professional footballer will make those passes 9 times out of 10, that doesn't make him great, or brilliant, or outstanding but an average footballer playing in a League Two side.

Love to hear your assessment of our collective throw ins?

For me utterly shambolic with ghe exception of Cropper a while back
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 22
November 29, 2023, 3:25pm
Guest User
Quoted from 1mickylyons

Love to hear your assessment of our collective throw ins?

For me utterly shambolic with ghe exception of Cropper a while back

Agreed.

Reply: 12 - 22
Bigdog
November 29, 2023, 3:28pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +36 / -1
Approval: +11,802
Gold Stars: 162
Quoted from 123614

I thought he had a good game too, but tbh, the majority of his passes were safe passes, 10 to 15 yard passes to a teammate in space and not under pressure whilst not under pressure himself.  This is not a dig at him, just an close observation of him once he came on for Glennon.

I thought Hunt's quick feet and thinking in tight situations last night were stand out features of his performance. Was pleasantly surprised to see him driving forward with the ball too. You may think 10 to 15 yard passes are simple, but Hunt moves the ball much quicker than his teammates and sees angles quicker too. I actually thought he raised Conteh's game with the ball to a higher level.. manager definitely helped by taking the shackles off..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 22
lew chaterleys lover
November 29, 2023, 4:01pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,723
Gold Stars: 237
It's never easy coming on as a substitute either so he certainly took his chance.

Football never ceases to amaze. We have as a fan base known there was something wrong for months but we are not privy to what happens on the training ground but something went awry there with the previous setup.

Judging by last night Artell seems to have got the players instant respect. They will know a good coach when they see one and I bet they are looking forward to the rest of the season like the fans.
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 22
Lincoln Mariner 56
November 29, 2023, 4:26pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +23 / -4
Approval: +7,696
Gold Stars: 79

Football never ceases to amaze. We have as a fan base known there was something wrong for months but we are not privy to what happens on the training ground but something went awry there with the previous setup.

Have to say it’s very puzzling. Many of us commented on numerous occasions that we thought we had recruited better players but had been rewarded with a worse team! PH must have had a plan and with his managerial experience an alternative if plan A didn’t work. I appreciate that the first hour v Lincoln in the friendly was against their back ups but that game indicated a change of style and direction that never really materialised despite decent performances against Wimbledon, County and Salford early on.

I’ve always wanted to see a midfield of Hunt, Conteh and Khouri, stating that in previous posts, and maybe that will come to fruition but it was a trio Hursty never fancied. Always interested in what sacked Managers think about in those early days sat at home and whether they regret certain signings and tactical decisions.

PH just seemed to get blinkered and convinced it was all down to the footballing gods and good results would eventually return or was that just his public persona? Ben and Shaun quickly identified how we needed to change and it’s hard to believe these discussions were not held with PH and Deputy Doig and I guess we will never know why with the players he signed he didn’t change his approach.

As I said at the start, puzzling.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 22
Ash brown
November 29, 2023, 4:57pm
Coke Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.06
Rep Score: +0 / -1
Approval: +22
Hopefully Alex will get a chance and do well, we all know he has quality. I can't see green and holahan getting much game time barring injuries under artell, as much as I like them both for thier workrate they are not consistently good passers of the ball.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 22
Roast Em Bobby
November 29, 2023, 5:07pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.27
Rep Score: +11 / -2
Approval: +1,721
Gold Stars: 44
I thought he played well last night and that he's technically a great player. However I still have doubts that he only ever looks good in games that are suited to his style of play. MK Dons are not your stereotypical L2 side, and like to play football themselves. In my opinion he still needs to prove he can impose himself and play well against the rough & tumble type teams. I really hope that the new style of play Artell will impose will help him achieve that, but I'm still a bit doubtful if I'm completely honest.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 22
Mariner93er
November 29, 2023, 5:24pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.54
Rep Score: +9 / -4
Approval: +4,739
Gold Stars: 28
His play just before we hit the post was brilliant. Both he and Conteh were so comfortable on the ball, even under pressure, which was critical to breaking their press and creating multiple chances on the break in the second half. As a pairing, they could be very exciting.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 22
moosey_club
November 29, 2023, 6:27pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.71
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,266
Gold Stars: 226
Technicality wise he will be an absolute sure starter under Artell....however I am not sure he has the discipline of the position to underline his bid for a starting place.
Artell seemingly wants two footed passers of the ball who want possession and that is Hunt all day long but Artell has also made a point of workrate, desire  tracking players when out of possession so he may need to up that side of his game.
I think he is a cracking little player and as others have said his vision and pace of play is above just about everyother midfield player we have but I do think he does switch off a little when defending.

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWLWL but not NLN 😁
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 22
3 Pages Prev 1 2 3 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Alex Hunt

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.