diehardmariner
November 29, 2023, 12:31pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,630
Gold Stars: 539
Quoted from forza ivano

In other sports , sports pyschology is used widely, and I've always thought that a number of our players (Michee being the prime example) could benefit from it. Can imagine that Artell is far more open to that than Hurst

Rob Jones went from Bambi on ice to an absolute beast after investing in sports psychologist input.
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 18
gtfc_chris
November 30, 2023, 7:47am
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.48
Rep Score: +10 / 0
Approval: +1,465
Gold Stars: 114
Quoted from devs
Take your point about Mullarkey
Great energy, strength etc
But his crossing is shocking 90% of the time - hardly ever gets it above knee high

I think that need to improve from both flanks before we start winning more matches

Hunt is an Artell type player - I expect him to be given a good run of games cos his technical skill is excellent
Conteh was class last night
I like the look of Ainlee - comfortable on the ball

I'm thinking players like Holohan, Green, Amos and Andrews might struggle in a football-playing team

I think you have to ask whether this is by design or not. Crossing from the byline, if you put it into the air in and around the 6 yard box then you're giving the goalkeeper a huge advantage. Fire it across low and hard and you're asking the attackers to get on the end of it and even draw a mistake from defenders trying to clear the ball, winning corners and possibly in the most fortuitous circumstances an own goal.

Not suggesting I think his crossing is top drawer, just that to judge it not being above knee height is possibly harsh as it could very easily be a purposeful decision.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 18
November 30, 2023, 8:37am
Guest User
Quoted from gtfc_chris
I think you have to ask whether this is by design or not. Crossing from the byline, if you put it into the air in and around the 6 yard box then you're giving the goalkeeper a huge advantage. Fire it across low and hard and you're asking the attackers to get on the end of it and even draw a mistake from defenders trying to clear the ball, winning corners and possibly in the most fortuitous circumstances an own goal.

Not suggesting I think his crossing is top drawer, just that to judge it not being above knee height is possibly harsh as it could very easily be a purposeful decision.

I was going to post similar - the hard low driven cross seems a rarity nowadays (showing my age: Alan Hinton used it with success at Forest/Derby way back when).

Danny Rose is excellent in the air, but he's often up against a huge keeper and two giant CBs...the low ball merits consideration imo.
Reply: 12 - 18
acko338
November 30, 2023, 10:20pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.83
Rep Score: +43 / -6
Approval: +3,223
Gold Stars: 33
A low cross still has to beat the 1st defender to be effective, so I can see why people want head high crosses.

These DO however need to be more towards the penalty spot to avoid goalie clutches.... and to ensure our forwards can be up there in time to do something with them !

Question - has Maher lost his long throw in technique this season?

That could make use of a different tactic, as current throw ins have often been woeful.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 18
Maringer
November 30, 2023, 10:31pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,538
Gold Stars: 185
Quoted from acko338

Could perhaps have a minor shoulder problem which doesn't stop him playing, but does stop him throwing? Alternatively, we're not the biggest team in any case, so perhaps not worth lobbing it into the box on the off-chance something might fall for us.

Unfortunately, other than Maher, our players don't really seem to have much in the way of a decent throw between them and this is a real issue.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 18
ginnywings
November 30, 2023, 11:20pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.03
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,143
Gold Stars: 548
Can't see DA as a fan of the long throw myself.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 18
bradzmilne
December 1, 2023, 12:05am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.69
Rep Score: +40 / -7
Approval: +1,428
Gold Stars: 30
Quoted from acko338
A low cross still has to beat the 1st defender to be effective, so I can see why people want head high crosses.

These DO however need to be more towards the penalty spot to avoid goalie clutches.... and to ensure our forwards can be up there in time to do something with them !

That could make use of a different tactic, as current throw ins have often been woeful.

I’m absolutely convinced that the Maher throw was detrimental to us.

First and foremost, it wasn’t long/flat enough to cause teams a real problem. I can’t remember us ever actually scoring from one?

Secondly, it left Maher out of position. He couldn’t throw & head the ball in an attacking sense. Defensively, he was 40 yards out of position, leaving us vulnerable to the counter attack - when it was inevitably cleared.

There’s no doubt that an effective long throw is worth its weight in gold & we saw that with Cropper during our promotion season. However, Maher’s long throw isn’t worth the risk vs. reward of him taking it - in the first place!

Sleep well Icey, Matty and Richard. Keep each other company up there xx

4 Relegations in 18 Years - John Fenty’s legacy.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 18
LocalLadGTFC
December 1, 2023, 12:58am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.37
Rep Score: +9 / -2
Approval: +4,220
Gold Stars: 137
Croppers long throw was so effective because it was a bullet and allowed us to attack it like a cross. Maher long throw is no way near as good.. it never had any pace and rarely actually got to any sort of dangerous area. I’d love to see our overall set piece stats if i’m honest because I can’t remember many corners we’ve scored from, I think that’s something we’ve definitely missed since coming up, we scored a lot of goals from corners in the NL. The quality of ball into the box has improved vastly this past few weeks with the re-introduction of Glennon and now Hunt aswell.
Logged Online
Private Message Skype
Reply: 17 - 18
GrimPol
December 1, 2023, 9:28pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.60
Rep Score: +3 / -7
Approval: -674
Gold Stars: 69
Quoted from ginnywings
Can't see DA as a fan of the long throw myself.

We are not good in the air. We used to sing "we don't score from a corner"  until it became not funny.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 18
2 Pages Prev 1 2 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Toby Mullarkey

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.