2 Pages 1 2 Next All Recommend Thread
dicko995
November 26, 2023, 1:39pm

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.26
Rep Score: +7 / -3
Approval: -261
Gold Stars: 21
Has died. Another great loss in the soccer world. R.I.P Tez, thank you for the memories.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Knut Anders Fosters Voles
November 26, 2023, 1:44pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.86
Rep Score: +24 / -1
Approval: +8,828
Gold Stars: 555
Tweet 1728756717511750129 will appear here...
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 15
grimsby pete
November 26, 2023, 1:59pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.80
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,799
Gold Stars: 222
Always liked Terry I thought we would have won something when he was England manager if he stayed longer but was not to be.

RIP, to another one of the greats that have left us.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 15
DB
November 26, 2023, 2:07pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.51
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +4,021
Gold Stars: 386
RIP Terry, another sad loss to the football world.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/67536465

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 15
cannylad65
November 26, 2023, 2:35pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.22
Approval: +96
Gold Stars: 6
I seem to remember a true story, printed in the daily papers, where Terry Venables was having a drink with George Kerr after the match, in George's office. Upon which Terry Venables, said to George ' you have a small office,you should get your number 11 to extend it.'.
I was sure this was a Tuesday evening game in the cold nights, but I can't find a midweek match to collaborate this.
Maybe someone has a better memory than me.

No prizes for naming no. 11.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 15
Eastendmariner
November 26, 2023, 6:13pm
Mariners Trust Life Member
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 0.16
Rep Score: +8 / -5
Approval: +942
Gold Stars: 22
I met El Tel when I was invited to watch the England Team Train in 96 for the game v Croatia (Eng supporters Club) he was fantastic approachable and down to earth had what seems time to converse with supporters fond memories  one of the greats sadly gone RIP

Mariner Trust Life Member  

Seen the Mariners win AWAY at 70 league Grounds

Grounds Visited 281[img][/img]

Blundell Park a Training ground for bum ref's
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 15
Posh Harry
November 26, 2023, 6:38pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +15 / -3
Approval: +4,362
Gold Stars: 35
Managed the England team that produced the best performance in my lifetime against the Dutch.

Rip El Tel, thanks for the memories.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 15
chaos33
November 26, 2023, 6:54pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,937
Gold Stars: 360
Love that YouTube video. Sad to see El Tel go.
Thanks Terry. For me, like a favourite uncle. Bless you.

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 15
denni266
November 26, 2023, 6:56pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.83
Rep Score: +13 / -22
Approval: +702
Gold Stars: 132
Arealy good manager and well liked throught the football world and beyond.. RIP
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 15
Poojah
November 26, 2023, 7:17pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,568
Gold Stars: 1,500
Was saddened by this when I heard the news earlier. I couldn't believe he was 80.

I was 11 years old during Euro 96 - old enough to understand and be excited by football, still young enough to have not been ground down by years of following Town and England. It was only the second major tournament I could remember England at first-hand, the other being Euro 92, which was remarkable only for how forgettable it was. For it to be hosted in England was just mind-blowingly exciting to that young kid.

England were a joy to watch at that tournament, particularly against Holland (slightly less so against Switzerland), and it's probably the most likeable England side I can remember. Money in football hadn't quite gone full tilt crazy, and the players, for the most part, just seemed like a group of young lads having a good time, getting píssed up, smashing up the odd plane, and occasionally playing a bit of football.

Perhaps it shouldn't have worked, really, but Euro 96 really was peak football, and that England team lives rent free in the hearts and minds of any Englishman old enough to remember it. An almost perfect summer of football. And at the heart of it, was Terry Venables. I still remember the sense of poignancy after that penalty shootout against the Germans. We were out, when it felt like we were destined to go all of the way (we'd have beaten the Czechs, wouldn't we), but it was also the end of an era, with Venables having to step down. Had Gazza's studs been an half an inch longer, we'd be mourning "Sir Terry", I'm sure.

Just a couple of years after he would be at BP with Crystal Palace. Halloween if memory serves, Widdrington and Jack Lester getting the goals that gave us a 2-0 win. Always seemed a shame his managerial career peaked that night under the lights at the old Wembley.

A big footballing figure from my childhood. RIP El Tel.

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 15
2 Pages 1 2 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Terry Venables

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.