3 Pages 1 2 3 Next All Recommend Thread
Zmariner
November 22, 2023, 11:20pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.17
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +2,127
Gold Stars: 44
I was listening to the radio in the car last night and heard a Southport players name that caught my attention. It was Mikey O'Neill. I was a bit surprised he had dropped so far.
Stephen Wearne doing OK at Gateshead too.
Utm
Logged Offline
Private Message
LocalLadGTFC
November 22, 2023, 11:42pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.37
Rep Score: +9 / -2
Approval: +4,219
Gold Stars: 137
Surprised? He looked like he’d won a raffle to play for us when he was here, which was a huge shock as he was on the brink of the Preston first team.
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 1 - 20
Northbank Mariner
November 23, 2023, 7:15am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.75
Rep Score: +9 / -9
Approval: +7,464
Gold Stars: 171
Remember Terry Taylor, we thought he was useless, now comfortable playing league 1 football at Charlton.
Whether O'Neill can replicate that, who knows, he's a young lad but someone, somewhere thinks he's got talent, we just never saw it.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 20
toontown
November 23, 2023, 7:36am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +6,279
Gold Stars: 70
Quoted from Zmariner
I was listening to the radio in the car last night and heard a Southport players name that caught my attention. It was Mikey O'Neill. I was a bit surprised he had dropped so far.
Utm

I'm surprised you were surprised, tbh.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 20
lew chaterleys lover
November 23, 2023, 8:49am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,717
Gold Stars: 237
This seems to happen a lot to well thought of youngsters, particularly at Championship clubs. They are brought up (quite rightly) to play passing football, possession based football using all their natural skills in the hope they will be good enough to play at that high level.

When they can't make the breakthrough they are loaned out lower down the pyramid but instead of standing out they look somewhat lost, almost like they are playing a different game. This must come as a great shock, as I imagine they have visions of taking say league 2 by storm due to their pedigree but often it just fizzles out.

There is a lot to be said in working your way up the leagues by degrees, unless you are indeed one of those really gifted players in ability and physique who can get into the first team from academy football at a high level.
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 20
diehardmariner
November 23, 2023, 10:17am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,626
Gold Stars: 539
I think it's just a reflection of where they are in their development when they tend to come here.  I thought O'Neill looked good in his first game, a bit Lewis Richardson like in how he looked tenacious and just had a little bit of edge about him. But then he quickly seemed to become a boy again, which is what he effectively is/was.

Sam Bell's another.  He looked ok when he was here on loan.  Not amazing but not awful, raw would be a good way to sum him up.  Fast forward a couple of years and he's an important part of a Championship side.

Clubs are reluctant to loan out those that are actually on the cusp of breaking through into their first team, certainly to sides two or three levels below themselves.  If we get youngsters from Championship or even Premier League outfits, it's more likely than not that they'll be very, very raw.  I know it's all depending on relationships between clubs and indeed staff, but I'm always surprised that we get loans of young lads much higher up the ladder as opposed to lads who are perhaps a bit further along in their development but at League One clubs, Peterborough for example.
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 20
WayneBurnettsJockstrap
November 23, 2023, 11:47am

Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.78
Rep Score: +10 / -2
Approval: +846
Gold Stars: 117
But the problem with all the young loanees we had could be that they came here with all their undoubted talent, but had all their vim and vigour coached out of them and into the way our Manager wanted them to play instead, which didnt suit.
We have found with the likes of Pyke, who on the rare occasion of him playing while Hurst was here, was constantly played out of position. Now the shackles have been removed, just look at him now. Hes like a new player.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 20
lew chaterleys lover
November 23, 2023, 12:40pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,717
Gold Stars: 237
But the problem with all the young loanees we had could be that they came here with all their undoubted talent, but had all their vim and vigour coached out of them and into the way our Manager wanted them to play instead, which didnt suit.
We have found with the likes of Pyke, who on the rare occasion of him playing while Hurst was here, was constantly played out of position. Now the shackles have been removed, just look at him now. Hes like a new player.

I think you are right, although it sounds quite sad to admit it. Loan players, our own players who have flair and that touch of magic seemed to regress in the last couple of seasons under Hurst's tutelage.

I don't know what happened to him; it certainly wasn't always like this. In the run up to and including the play off campaign we played some great football with players allowed to express themselves. In previous seasons we played some exciting football and sometimes scored goals for fun.

Of course there is the caveat of the FA Cup run and highest finish for some time but the football under Hurst was dire for a long time.
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 20
HertsGTFC
November 23, 2023, 2:02pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.27
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,943
Gold Stars: 228
This seems to happen a lot to well thought of youngsters, particularly at Championship clubs. They are brought up (quite rightly) to play passing football, possession based football using all their natural skills in the hope they will be good enough to play at that high level.

When they can't make the breakthrough they are loaned out lower down the pyramid but instead of standing out they look somewhat lost, almost like they are playing a different game. This must come as a great shock, as I imagine they have visions of taking say league 2 by storm due to their pedigree but often it just fizzles out.

There is a lot to be said in working your way up the leagues by degrees, unless you are indeed one of those really gifted players in ability and physique who can get into the first team from academy football at a high level.

I wonder if it might be a case of quantity over quality for some clubs, I have a friend who's son was at Norwich and at that time they took in loads of teenagers.

He was let go at 17 and now plays a good standard down the pyramid. Credit to Norwich though they managed his expectations throughout, was really considerate in the manner that they let him go and when he was injured he got first class medical and physio support.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 20
Son of Cod
November 23, 2023, 2:41pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.93
Rep Score: +8 / 0
Approval: +5,328
Gold Stars: 196
Quoted from Zmariner

Wearne is doing a bit better than OK by all accounts. Key player for Gateshead and one of the better attacking players in the division so far this season. Bit of a frustrating one there for us, in my opinion. Hurst obviously didn't rate him, probably because his defensive attributes weren't good enough for a winger.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 20
3 Pages 1 2 3 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Mikey O'Neill

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.