Posts Per Day: 0.04
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +279
Gold Stars: 7
I see our ex keeper is playing for New Zealand
Tonight against Ireland
He started with Town as an understudy but flourished to be our No 1
I don’t think our replacement is a match for him
Although our Hull loanee  Harvey Cartwright has performed well since his spell since he’s been 1st choice
Logged Offline
Private Message
LondonMariner43
November 21, 2023, 9:17pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.41
Rep Score: +19 / -4
Approval: +3,955
Gold Stars: 64
Never understood why Hurst didn’t fight harder to keep him.  Fair enough if he’d had a sure fire replacement lined up but he didnt.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 28
Poojah
November 21, 2023, 9:27pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,580
Gold Stars: 1,503
Good luck to the lad. This time two years ago he’d still not even made his league debut for us. It’s been a remarkable period in what he been a pretty unremarkable career up to that point.

Cracking stadium the Aviva, for the most part anyway. Like a green Emirates on three sides then a green Glanford Park for the other, but a nice ground all the same.

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 28
Simon
November 21, 2023, 9:39pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.30
Approval: +237
Gold Stars: 33
Has he had cramp yet

All Town aren't we ..... UTM  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 28
OddShapedBalls
November 22, 2023, 9:15am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.03
Rep Score: +5 / -1
Approval: +1,191
Gold Stars: 39
Weird old place the fishy, iirc most of last year all that was said about Crocombe was that we could do better and moaning that his goal kicks landed in the main stand and not on pitch.  You don't know what you've got till it's gone...
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 28
Theimperialcoroner
November 22, 2023, 9:41am

Posts Per Day: 1.05
Rep Score: +47 / -4
Approval: +5,210
Gold Stars: 102
Quoted from OddShapedBalls
Weird old place the fishy, iirc most of last year all that was said about Crocombe was that we could do better and moaning that his goal kicks landed in the main stand and not on pitch.  You don't know what you've got till it's gone...

Back end of last season he definitely dropped off in a number of areas of his game. The change has done him some good. It looks a poor decision for us because we haven’t properly replaced him up to press although the signs are encouraging. Doesn’t mean it wasn’t right for MC to go when he did.

Batch, Crombie, Moore K, Wiggington, Cumming, Waters, Bonnyman, Ford, Emson, Drinkell, Whymark. Love you all, You are the reason I'm on here. You've had help from Todd, Handyside, Futcher P, Groves, Mendonca, Macca etc etc etc. Up The Mariners!!!!!!!!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 28
lew chaterleys lover
November 22, 2023, 9:45am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,723
Gold Stars: 237
Quoted from OddShapedBalls

True, but Hurst felt the same so it's not just the Fishy.
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 28
Maringer
November 22, 2023, 11:52am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,542
Gold Stars: 185
The weird thing with Crocombe is that his kicking started off pretty good, but deteriorated as the end of the season approached. All that cramp must have caused an injury to him.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 28
Bigdog
November 22, 2023, 12:03pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +36 / -1
Approval: +11,802
Gold Stars: 162
Quoted from Maringer
The weird thing with Crocombe is that his kicking started off pretty good, but deteriorated as the end of the season approached. All that cramp must have caused an injury to him.

Said at the time Crocombe's confidence in his kicking fell as the BP pitch deteriorated last season. Still think that's true..

Best keeper we've had for years..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 28
Madeleymariner
November 22, 2023, 12:05pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.01
Rep Score: +23 / -15
Approval: +3,059
Gold Stars: 50
Quoted from LondonMariner43
Never understood why Hurst didn’t fight harder to keep him.  Fair enough if he’d had a sure fire replacement lined up but he didnt.

I get a feeling Eastwood was lined up already
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 28
Mappers
November 22, 2023, 12:54pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 5.43
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +4,330
Gold Stars: 118
Maybe I am in the minority but I think Carwright has a far higher ceiling than Crocombe .

That's not dissing Max , as he did a decent enough job and he has done better than most probably thought he would at Burton.

But I think after the last 5 performances from Cartwright its hard to say 100% it was a mistake letting Crocombe go , would he have done any better ?

I doubt it myself ,  I suppose it's down to whether Cartwright can keep this up for 25-30 games to judge one way or another .
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 28
LocalLadGTFC
November 22, 2023, 1:13pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.37
Rep Score: +9 / -2
Approval: +4,223
Gold Stars: 137
Opportunity is a fine thing isn't it, because Crocombe is the master of it. He took the chance when Macca was out the side here and Macca never found his way in.. He only found his way into the Burton side due to Blackman getting injured and now he's there number 1. The ultimate opportunist? I agree Mappers, I think Cartwright has a higher ceiling, you don't play for England in a generation of golden talent for our youth that are winning world cups and european championships if you aren't special.  I think we're starting to see a bit of arrogance coming out of Cartwright which is what every top keeper has, you saw it from Deano straight away. He believed he was better than everyone so he'd come and collect everything and had the swagger of a top talent. Harvey is coming off the back of 2 loan spells where things hadn't gone his way and then come here and found himself behind Eastwood, probably very low on match confidence. Starting to see the signs of a very very good keeper.
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 11 - 28
toontown
November 22, 2023, 1:50pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +6,279
Gold Stars: 70
Quoted from Madeleymariner

I get a feeling Eastwood was lined up already

That was a poor decision by Hurst has to be said. I wouldn't be surprised if Eastwood doesn't even see out his contract here.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 28
Maringer
November 22, 2023, 2:02pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,542
Gold Stars: 185
One thing about Crocombe is that when he came for crosses, he managed to catch them or get a decent punch in pretty much all the time. Very important at this level when you have a lot of balls slung into the box, often hopefully.

Cartwright looks to have potential but, when all is said and done, he is still a pretty skinny kid and not nearly as dominant under the high ball or from crosses as Crocombe was. Something which he can work on in future years and he'll hopefully improve in this regard if he keeps his place in the team with us this season.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 28
Abdul19
November 22, 2023, 2:12pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.41
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,567
Gold Stars: 216
Needs to be doing some bench presses with big Steve.

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 28
fishcake63
November 22, 2023, 5:23pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.51
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +1,225
Gold Stars: 62
Should have been kept a fantastic keeper at this level  & proving himself at league above in an average side , was amazed when we let him go
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 28
Mike_67
November 22, 2023, 7:54pm
Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.01
Approval: +52
Gold Stars: 1
Quoted from Simon
Has he had cramp yet

That comes on when they get a 1 goal lead.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 28
Grim up north
November 22, 2023, 8:18pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.13
Rep Score: +10 / -2
Approval: +689
Gold Stars: 1
The club knew Max was away weeks before the end of the season and we weren’t going to be able keep him with a big increase in his wages, a move to a league higher and nearer to his girlfriends desired location.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 28
Grimal
November 22, 2023, 9:34pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.90
Rep Score: +19 / -5
Approval: +2,874
Gold Stars: 9
Quoted from Grim up north
The club knew Max was away weeks before the end of the season and we weren’t going to be able keep him with a big increase in his wages, a move to a league higher and nearer to his girlfriends desired location.

His Girlfriend not like Habrough then ?. 😉
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 28
Northbank Mariner
November 23, 2023, 7:22am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.75
Rep Score: +9 / -9
Approval: +7,472
Gold Stars: 171
Quoted from Grim up north

Nothing to do with only being offered a one year deal, being told he wouldn't be number 1 then?
Crocombe thought he was worth more, and fair play to the bloke, took a risk turning us down as he had nothing lined up at the time.
He did an interview just after rejecting us, abd he openly says he was open to staying, just the deal was crap.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 28
1mickylyons
November 23, 2023, 7:26am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.53
Rep Score: +42 / -14
Approval: +9,386
Gold Stars: 56
Quoted from LondonMariner43

Most points dropped looked avoidable with a better keeper than Eastwood whilst I never thought Max was a World beater he was a competent league 1/2 stopper.In my opinion it was the biggest single boll0ck PH dropped.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 28
cannylad65
November 23, 2023, 8:21am
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.22
Approval: +96
Gold Stars: 6
And not keeping Orsi, who was already on contract.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 28
DB
November 23, 2023, 9:01am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.49
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +4,022
Gold Stars: 386
Hindsight is brilliant.

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 28
diehardmariner
November 23, 2023, 10:48am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,630
Gold Stars: 539
Isn't it just brilliant.

But it seems a lot of people have clouded their memories when it comes to Crocombe.  His final six months he was really quite poor at times, especially after setting such high standards in the year or so before that.  He wasn't as commanding, he was parrying really simple shots back into the path of attackers and his kicking went from a good attribute to a bit of a liability.

Very few people thought it was the wrong move to try and improve on him.  I think for him as well the move away was needed.  Ultimately I don't think Eastwood is consistent enough to be an effective replacement for Crocombe.  When he's on his game I think he's as good as, as he showed in the first handful of games, but his confidence is too fragile and once he gets a little chink in his armour he's a nervous wreck.

Far too early to call judgement on Cartwright.  5 games and 2 of those against a part-time side (discounting the EFL Trophy games which are glorified friendlies).  But he does look to be getting better as he gets more game time in him.  This is his first serious go at proper mens football, it is going to be different for him and it might take a little bit more time.  But I think once he gets in the proper swing of things he'll be a very good 'keeper for us and we'll look back in time grateful that we had him for a season.
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 28
Hagrid
November 23, 2023, 10:53am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.80
Rep Score: +49 / -21
Approval: +20,423
Gold Stars: 534
Quoted from cannylad65

Well we did get a fee for him in fairness...
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 28
ska face
November 23, 2023, 11:24am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -14
Approval: +21,662
Gold Stars: 847
Can we have this thread pinned so we don’t have the same conversation every time the bloke blows his nose? Same with Orsi for that matter.
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 28
Mariner_09
November 23, 2023, 11:48am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.10
Rep Score: +19 / -13
Approval: +1,192
Gold Stars: 55
Quoted from Mappers
Maybe I am in the minority but I think Carwright has a far higher ceiling than Crocombe .

That's not dissing Max , as he did a decent enough job and he has done better than most probably thought he would at Burton.

But I think after the last 5 performances from Cartwright its hard to say 100% it was a mistake letting Crocombe go , would he have done any better ?

I doubt it myself ,  I suppose it's down to whether Cartwright can keep this up for 25-30 games to judge one way or another .

If I had my time again, and I bet Hurst agrees, I'd have tried harder to keep Crocombe and signed Cartwright but not Eastwood.

I had grown very tired of Crocombe's kicking, inability to make saves and increasing number of errors but he inspired a lot more confidence than Eastwood did.

I know I'm speaking completely with hindsight but maybe a close season and a proper pre season of being properly pushed by Cartwright might have brought the best out of Crocombe again. Either way, I think the keeper situation ultimately cost Hurst his job. A nervous keeper transmits the whole team as the defence loses confidence, drops deeper, becomes more error prone, the midfield then drops deeper and leaves the striker isolated. Think we've seen all those issues manifest themselves.

It was unlike Hurst to make a mess of one position in the way he did. If we'd kept Crocombe, I wanted rid so I'm not lecturing here, I think Hurst is still here.

I've wasted my life in black and white, a pathetic act for a worthless cause
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 28
Mariner_09
November 23, 2023, 11:49am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.10
Rep Score: +19 / -13
Approval: +1,192
Gold Stars: 55
Quoted from cannylad65

We've signed Pyke and Wilson, both who clearly know where the back of the net is. Keeping or not keeping Orsi has probably had no impact on our points tally.

I've wasted my life in black and white, a pathetic act for a worthless cause
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 28
Abdul19
November 23, 2023, 1:20pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.41
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,567
Gold Stars: 216
Agreed, our goals per game is far higher so far this season than last.

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 28
3 Pages 1 2 3 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Max Crocombe

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.