5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
lew chaterleys lover
November 28, 2023, 8:46am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,732
Gold Stars: 237
We all knew it would happen. Authorities now looking at increasing the scope of VAR to include free kicks, second yellows and corners.

Once you go down this route of trying to eliminate mistakes altogether, you are on a slippery slope to destroying the game completely at the top level. Imagine if a defender never made a mistake or a striker never missed a sitter? A game played by people needs mistakes to thrive, including honest refereeing mistakes.

I hope Premier league fans (real fans like us whose clubs happen to be in the top league) will show their disgust at the ruination of the game and make some sort of stand. Yes they don't need fans money but half empty stadia would devalue the product.
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 48
BobbyCummingsTackle
November 28, 2023, 9:41am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.54
Rep Score: +8 / -4
Location: Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right, stuck in the middle...
Approval: +7,280
Gold Stars: 306
We all knew it would happen. Authorities now looking at increasing the scope of VAR to include free kicks, second yellows and corners.

Once you go down this route of trying to eliminate mistakes altogether, you are on a slippery slope to destroying the game completely at the top level. Imagine if a defender never made a mistake or a striker never missed a sitter? A game played by people needs mistakes to thrive, including honest refereeing mistakes.

I hope Premier league fans (real fans like us whose clubs happen to be in the top league) will show their disgust at the ruination of the game and make some sort of stand. Yes they don't need fans money but half empty stadia would devalue the product.

From a purist's point of view it's not good for the game but I bet the media love it - 'another controversial VAR decision' keeps Jamie Carragher and Gary Neville spouting cobblers for hours, gives the papers and websites great headlines and that's before the managers have said something stupid that gets them fined and banned from the touchline etc

If you're Sky and TNT it must be the gift that keeps on giving.

It won't be going away any time soon.

Miss Scunthorpe. Not a beauty pageant, just sound advice.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 48
blundellpork
November 28, 2023, 9:46am

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.09
Rep Score: +3 / -2
Approval: +1,655
Gold Stars: 32
The VAR tentacles will continue to seek new ways to justify their existence. For me, it’s ruining the game. We used to have real time decisions, and accepted that some may be wrong. Now we have delayed decisions, and still they are wrong.

Once you give VAR throw ins, corners etc, the game as a spectacle will be finished. Goal line technology is the only one we need, and I just wish VAR was never brought in.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 48
lew chaterleys lover
November 28, 2023, 10:36am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,732
Gold Stars: 237
Quoted from blundellpork
The VAR tentacles will continue to seek new ways to justify their existence. For me, it’s ruining the game. We used to have real time decisions, and accepted that some may be wrong. Now we have delayed decisions, and still they are wrong.

Once you give VAR throw ins, corners etc, the game as a spectacle will be finished. Goal line technology is the only one we need, and I just wish VAR was never brought in.

It's always the law of unintended consequences isn't it?

On face value, bringing something into the game that tries to eliminate obvious errors sounds a good thing, but then all the nuances of every decision start to emerge. In a way these current discussions are the obvious progression of the train of events they have started. If a corner is wrongly given, then why should a goal be scored from it? But, 10 minutes earlier a throw in was wrongly given which of course changes the course of everything that followed and on and on it goes and nobody is happy.

These quangos won't change though. They will go further and further down the rabbit hole until the game has gone.
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 48
Abdul19
November 28, 2023, 11:04am

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.41
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,566
Gold Stars: 216
Pandora's Box, innit.

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 48
November 28, 2023, 4:53pm
Guest User
The issue is VAR was brought in to overturn clear and obvious errors but it's being used for everything.

But VAR is getting it wrong, or referees aren't being strong enough to stick to their original decision.

The Wolves v Fulham game last night.  The first Fulham penalty.  The Wolves player clearly gets a touch but as his foot goes to be planted he catches the toe of the Fulham player and down he goes.
It's inevitable that after kicking a ball your leg carries on its trajectory.  That's all that happened there. Or are players supposed to stab at the ball as they kick it and withdraw their leg immediately in case it contacts the opponent.

Reply: 35 - 48
supertown
November 28, 2023, 5:36pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.90
Rep Score: +25 / -9
Approval: +3,459
Gold Stars: 53
The people making the decisions can’t possibly have played football at any level . Whilst I don’t like many of the pundits , they are all ex footballers and can clearly see how utterly stupid most VAR decisions are.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 48
moosey_club
November 28, 2023, 5:59pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.71
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,268
Gold Stars: 226
Whilst anti VAR I do love the fact it effects all the football I am not really interested in and hardly occurs in my normal football diet.
The fact it enrages top flight fans, managers and players in particular I find funny as fck. One of the influences of bringing in VAR was top level players diving around and feigning injury so self inflicted for many.
However one of the biggest flaws is the 2-3 frame by frame replays the refs get shown pitchside as a review...that constant play-rewind which really doesn't show the whole context or natural movement.

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWLWL but not NLN 😁
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 48
chaos33
November 28, 2023, 6:10pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,937
Gold Stars: 360
I’m absolutely against this. It would be terrible for football. Stopping the game every three f***ing minutes to acquire another fallible opinion on a thrown in. No thanks. I like the drama and controversy and emotional spontaneity of football. I don’t want to stop the game 58 times over 90 minutes and hang about for some bod looking at a tv playback while everyone stands about like d1cks. I’m happy to accept that there’ll be some mistakes and marginal calls and sometimes that’ll fall your way, and sometimes not. Throw VAR in the bin.

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 48
The Yard Dog
November 28, 2023, 10:38pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.43
Rep Score: +14 / -2
Approval: +3,504
Gold Stars: 74
Newcastle robbed, never a penalty, feel for the players gave their all, only to be robbed in the 96 min.

If I was the players, refused to play if VAR is in operation, until the law makers change the law back to deliberate handball and the muppets operating VAR systems.

VAR operators are ruining football, every goal being checked as well as those incorrect decisions, there's also a strong argument to say VAR is negatively impacting the viewing experience inside the stadiums. Supporters watching on television have access to multiple slow-motion replays and camera angles, meaning they can quickly reach a conclusion over whether they believe a decision to be correct.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 48
5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › VAR Again

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.