Ruston AT
November 19, 2023, 9:59am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.12
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +431
Gold Stars: 10

Dear Sirs/madam
                             May I make a comment Re your match commentator for the match between FGR and GTFC.

He was bloody awful, I could list plenty of poor comments but the one that amazed me was at the start of the second half. He told us that Green had been subbed for Conteh,  a couple of minutes later we had a shot  only for the commentator to tell us it was Green it was actually Holahan. Not only that , he was irritating as well.

Regards
            XXX

Logged Offline
Private Message
Theimperialcoroner
November 19, 2023, 10:02am

Posts Per Day: 1.05
Rep Score: +47 / -4
Approval: +5,210
Gold Stars: 102
Cost saving balderdash.

Batch, Crombie, Moore K, Wiggington, Cumming, Waters, Bonnyman, Ford, Emson, Drinkell, Whymark. Love you all, You are the reason I'm on here. You've had help from Todd, Handyside, Futcher P, Groves, Mendonca, Macca etc etc etc. Up The Mariners!!!!!!!!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 26
chaos33
November 19, 2023, 10:14am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,937
Gold Stars: 360
He was poor, but at least that service was sustained as presumably RH had no other staffers who could do it, so……probably a bit petulant to get too cross, especially in the grand scheme of things containing other aspects to get upset about. For instance; I was irritated by the commentator for several reasons, but I was much more angry by our complete failure to put any pressure on the ball and the man with it, in midfield areas time after time yesterday, and pretty f***ing peeved by our weak and clumsy surrendering of possession that led to the second goal.
Just a bit of perspective.

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 26
VinnyGTFC
November 19, 2023, 10:15am
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.09
Rep Score: +3 / -5
Approval: +125
Gold Stars: 20
Quoted from Ruston AT

Dear Sirs/madam
                             May I make a comment Re your match commentator for the match between FGR and GTFC.

He was bloody awful, I could list plenty of poor comments but the one that amazed me was at the start of the second half. He told us that Green had been subbed for Conteh,  a couple of minutes later we had a shot  only for the commentator to tell us it was Green it was actually Holahan. Not only that , he was irritating as well.

Regards
            XXX

Nothing to do with Radio Humberside, BBC cuts for radio stations means the quality some took for granted will ebb away.Get used to it.
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 26
Hagrid
November 19, 2023, 10:23am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.80
Rep Score: +49 / -21
Approval: +20,423
Gold Stars: 534
Yeah he was excrement but we still got a service, Worse things to be annoyed about
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 26
lew chaterleys lover
November 19, 2023, 10:35am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,723
Gold Stars: 237
This happens every season on the odd occasion our regular commentary team can't make it doesn't it?

I guess the RH team sometimes have to reciprocate the favour and I don't suppose they get universal approval or get every name right. It is an irritation for sure but a forgivable one, but as commentators go he did have an odd style, but imagine if you listened to JT for the very first time you would also be perplexed!
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 26
It Bites
November 19, 2023, 10:38am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.45
Rep Score: +4 / -10
Approval: +2,209
Gold Stars: 265
Local radio is on its bottom and will disappear in the next few years . It’s a shame but life moves on .
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 26
sam gy
November 19, 2023, 10:48am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.33
Rep Score: +18 / -3
Approval: +5,477
Gold Stars: 55
Assuming none of the regulars could make it for whatever reason and they had to get someone who obviously doesn’t know our team inside out. Cut him and them some slack I say.

I enjoyed Alex Rodman on co comms….knowledgable and called the game really well.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 26
IlkleyMariner
November 19, 2023, 10:52am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +12 / -1
Approval: +3,012
Gold Stars: 69
Quoted from It Bites
Local radio is on its bottom and will disappear in the next few years . It’s a shame but life moves on .

Agreed, it’s not just Radio Humberside, it’s across the BBC as a whole. And it applies to other sports too.

Cricket for another sport. The BBC is driven by ticking boxes to prove they employ the target number of women, trans, gay, ethnic minorities etc.

The number of BBC people shed as part of alleged cost cuts of late is also ridiculous. Sack Lineker, Zoe Ball and other overpaid so called stars.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 26
Grantham_Mariner
November 19, 2023, 11:24am

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 0.80
Rep Score: +23 / -1
Approval: +3,190
Gold Stars: 51
It was even worse if you were listening to it with video on Mariners TV. The number of times he mixed up players.

Anyway radio comentry does no work with video when they make coments like "defending goal to our left", "just in front of us", as they are sat the opposite side of the ground to the camera.

Lets hope the changes next season will improve things?

If the football is bad you can always watch the gulls.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 26
Azimuth
November 19, 2023, 11:35am
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.18
Rep Score: +3 / -4
Approval: +694
Gold Stars: 60
The BBC as an organisation is on its backside with other priorites instead of quality content.
It has long been a gravy train for overpaid executives, quota filling employees and a few vastly overpaid celebrity type presenters.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 26
buckstown
November 19, 2023, 12:43pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.41
Rep Score: +16 / -6
Approval: +5,179
Gold Stars: 79
Think JT did the commentary for Radio Berkshire when we played Slough in the replay. One might imagine a few Slough fans thinking he might be a bit biased and the quality a touch below par
It's not too long ago when we were watching the teleprinter at 4:45 to find out what the score was on away days so I'm not getting too upset about the commentator being average. It was FGR v Grimsby for goodness sake, not England v Germany
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 26
moosey_club
November 19, 2023, 2:28pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.71
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,266
Gold Stars: 226
Poor...yes
...Compass F.M levels of inadequacy?? ... No.

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWLWL but not NLN 😁
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 26
pontoonlew
November 19, 2023, 2:34pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +37 / -15
Approval: +9,041
Gold Stars: 177
I felt a bit sorry for him in the end, he must’ve known he was cocking the whole thing up. He didn’t seem to have a bloody clue though, JT cocks things up often like never knowing if it’s a corner/free kick/penalty but this guy couldn’t even get players names right.

The icing on the cake being him saying it was much better wearing this kit as he could see players names, god forbid if we’d worn black & white, he’d have been complementing Kevin Donovan on his 2 goals.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 26
TonySmith
November 19, 2023, 3:05pm

Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.08
Rep Score: +4 / -1
Approval: +970
Gold Stars: 11
    I was watching the video of the match at the same time as listening to the commentary so I can support what someone else said about the commentator mixing up players' names. I can only assume he just didn't know the Town team very well. He said Rogers gave away the penalty when it was clearly Maher, he mentioned Green in the second half when he had been substituted at half time, and he confused Rose and Pyke at least twice in the first half.
   On the other hand, the commentary was matched to the pictures with no time lag, as has happened at times in the past, his voice was fine, and he did at least get some of it right, so there's that. To be fair, live match commentary for radio is something that most people would find very difficult, so I'm not casting too many stones here.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 26
DB
November 19, 2023, 3:40pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.49
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +4,021
Gold Stars: 386
The good news was RH provided a service.
The bad news was the bottom of the barrel was empty, so they looked underneath it and found somebody doing nothing with no information about Town.

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 26
jamesgtfc
November 19, 2023, 3:55pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +12,966
Gold Stars: 190
Quoted from pontoonlew
I felt a bit sorry for him in the end, he must’ve known he was cocking the whole thing up. He didn’t seem to have a bloody clue though, JT cocks things up often like never knowing if it’s a corner/free kick/penalty but this guy couldn’t even get players names right.

The icing on the cake being him saying it was much better wearing this kit as he could see players names, god forbid if we’d worn black & white, he’d have been complementing Kevin Donovan on his 2 goals.

In JTs defence, the view from the Main Stand press box is poor. There are two seats in there where you have a clear, unobstructed view of both goals. It's relatively low down too, which doesn't lend itself well to reporting on events in real-time.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 26
RichMariner
November 19, 2023, 4:37pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.50
Rep Score: +42 / -4
Approval: +9,135
Gold Stars: 209
I’ve done a bit of commentating over the years and it’s a little more difficult to get right than you think. You need to speak coherently in and accurately in an instant, and that’s not easy to do when you’re trying your best to familiarise yourself with the players. It’s likely the guy didn’t know he was covering until quite late on.

I didn’t think he was bad. Understandably, he wasn’t seamless with identifying the right players. The only gripe I had was that he’d talk through a passage of play for quite a while without naming any names, and I’d have no idea whether we were on the front foot or the back foot. I’d be getting excited by his excitement and then he’d say Cartwright made a great save!

"Don't shine that light in my face, mate - I've just lost a pint of blood."
Logged Offline
Site Private Message
Reply: 17 - 26
lee65
November 19, 2023, 4:41pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.36
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +2,486
Gold Stars: 10
I like Alex Rodman as a summariser, he speaks well and is knowledgeable
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 26
lukeo
November 19, 2023, 4:56pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 2.07
Rep Score: +38 / -23
Approval: +2,372
Gold Stars: 148
They should get a couple of then fans to do the commentary.. give them free access. Saves money and that'd be brilliant to listen to especially when we score  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 26
VinnyGTFC
November 19, 2023, 6:01pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.09
Rep Score: +3 / -5
Approval: +125
Gold Stars: 20
David Burns whether you like him or not was a very good sports presenter.He was axed and know is on a non descripit radio station in Hull, having listened to other local sports shows the old school Humberside were head and shoulders above
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 26
golfer
November 19, 2023, 6:11pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.30
Rep Score: +34 / -18
Approval: +3,441
Gold Stars: 116
Quoted from lukeo
They should get a couple of then fans to do the commentary.. give them free access. Saves money and that'd be brilliant to listen to especially when we score  

If we got certain Fishy members to commentate the station would be shut down before the game finished
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 26
lukeo
November 19, 2023, 6:36pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 2.07
Rep Score: +38 / -23
Approval: +2,372
Gold Stars: 148
Quoted from golfer

If we got certain Fishy members to commentate the station would be shut down before the game finished

I'm not as much of a helmet as I come across as when I type you know...
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 26
IlkleyMariner
November 19, 2023, 8:59pm
Champagne Drinker
Rep Score: +12 / -1
Approval: +3,012
Gold Stars: 69
I do footy and cricket commentary for Leeds Hospitals.

I’ve covered Mariners twice in away games, and like all volunteer commentators we prepare before each game we cover.

It’s not rocket science. Find out who played in previous game. Get their background career. Memorise their squad number. Look for individual attributes and kit eg colour of boots, hair colour and length…..etc

Check the league tables and recent results. Find out who is injured or suspended. Are they likely to return? Find out squad players and repeat as above.

Wait for the team sheet about 70 minutes before kick off and adjust accordingly.

There is no excuse for crap commentary. My last time covering mariners when at Bradford. Had a chat with Gaz Croft.  Nice guy. We should have wine and finished the game in second place in the league……dunno what happened to the team thereafter…
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 26
November 19, 2023, 9:04pm
Guest User
Quoted from golfer

I think that should be before the game has started.

Some people lose their head over the starting line up before a balls been kicked.
Reply: 24 - 26
Posh Harry
November 19, 2023, 9:56pm
Cocktail Drinker
Rep Score: +15 / -3
Approval: +4,363
Gold Stars: 35
Quoted from IlkleyMariner
I do footy and cricket commentary for Leeds Hospitals.

I’ve covered Mariners twice in away games, and like all volunteer commentators we prepare before each game we cover.

It’s not rocket science. Find out who played in previous game. Get their background career. Memorise their squad number. Look for individual attributes and kit eg colour of boots, hair colour and length…..etc

Check the league tables and recent results. Find out who is injured or suspended. Are they likely to return? Find out squad players and repeat as above.

Wait for the team sheet about 70 minutes before kick off and adjust accordingly.

There is no excuse for crap commentary. My last time covering mariners when at Bradford. Had a chat with Gaz Croft.  Nice guy. We should have wine and finished the game in second place in the league……dunno what happened to the team thereafter…

Personally I like to have a couple of beers before I start on the wine, but fair play to you
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 26
TonySmith
November 20, 2023, 6:18pm

Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.08
Rep Score: +4 / -1
Approval: +970
Gold Stars: 11
If the players hit the wine at half time that would explain why we have dropped so many points from winning positions this season.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 26
3 Pages 1 2 3 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › " Dear Radio Blunderside"

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.