Hagrid
November 15, 2023, 7:41am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.80
Rep Score: +49 / -21
Approval: +20,421
Gold Stars: 534
Quoted from moosey_club
Should have been zero against and possibly ten for us....they had nothing up front really, one tricky winger who couldn't deliver a final product and that's about it but the times we just switched off and looked so lapse and we let them  in when they had no right to.

Some nicely worked goals and an abundance of early decent crosses into the box, Rose & Pyke (any striker really) can thrive off that.  

Despite the conceded chances good to see a similar approach to Saturday even with an altered squad. Hopefully they can continue in this vein.

Think thats a rather arrogant and unfair point you make on slough.

Their tricky winger with no end product scored, and they had 2 or 3 other chances bar the goal which went just wide and one which Rose headed off the line.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 42
GrimPol
November 15, 2023, 7:41am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.60
Rep Score: +3 / -7
Approval: -672
Gold Stars: 69
Just when you thought we had turned a corner, we had to play Slough (Sluff, Slew) who are 40 odd places below us and at times we struggled in our own backyard. No bouncy carpet to blame, as I did when we just drew 1-1 at their place.
The score does flatter us, as the part-timers flagged in the end as we knew they would.

But heres a question for our management, how on earth do we allow the opposition to stand all alone a few yards from the goal and get a free header? Yes of course we won, but I would have been happier with a 2-0 and we had bossed them, than a flattering 7-2 which needed off-the-line clearances. There were times when you wondered which team was from the N L South.
Well, we are next off to FGR who are more desperate than us for points. I just hope FGR don't watch a video of our Slough game that's all.
Note to management:  Sort our back line.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 42
The Yard Dog
November 15, 2023, 8:53am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.43
Rep Score: +14 / -2
Approval: +3,504
Gold Stars: 74
Quoted from GrimPol
Just when you thought we had turned a corner, we had to play Slough (Sluff, Slew) who are 40 odd places below us and at times we struggled in our own backyard. No bouncy carpet to blame, as I did when we just drew 1-1 at their place.
The score does flatter us, as the part-timers flagged in the end as we knew they would.

But heres a question for our management, how on earth do we allow the opposition to stand all alone a few yards from the goal and get a free header? Yes of course we won, but I would have been happier with a 2-0 and we had bossed them, than a flattering 7-2 which needed off-the-line clearances. There were times when you wondered which team was from the N L South.
Well, we are next off to FGR who are more desperate than us for points. I just hope FGR don't watch a video of our Slough game that's all.
Note to management:  Sort our back line.

Just no pleasing some is they, if Hurst was in charge and we won 2-0 you still be moaning, should have had a go.
Last night was a free hit, yes our defence is all over the place at present, most have be moaning that the football has been dull under Hurst which is true.
The last two games have produced 14 goals and we have won both one against one of the form teams in league two, did we struggled last night not in my opinion Slough had a go in the first fifteen of the second half, but I never had a feeling we was going to lose.
It does not matter how many places we are above Slough, its the FA cup and you have to give credit to Slough for having a go and making it entertaining game.
Make you mind up, do you want dull boring ball hoping to win by the odd goal or playing entertaining football with goals but we might not get the result we wanted, I know which I prefer.
If FGR do watch the video of last night game, they will be be plenty for them to consider especially our composure in front of goal which has be missing recently and our set pieces scoring from corners. The difference now is Rose has support up front and is not isolated trying to hold up play, we are more on the front foot.  
The defence is an issue, we have recently changed our goalkeeper and the defence has not been settled, the more they play together the better understanding and trust between them, which hopefullly will lead to less mistakes.

Whoever comes in, Shaun & Ben will have shown there is a good squad of players, capable of playing good football.

UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 42
lew chaterleys lover
November 15, 2023, 8:58am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,720
Gold Stars: 237
Pearson himself said it was much closer than the scoreline suggested.

For those who didn't see it I wouldn't pay too much attention to the score, marvellous though it is we got through and took our chances well but for parts of the game you wouldn't know which team was two divisions lower.

We abandoned our short goal kick routine after half time as it would be criminal to give goals away unnecessarily with very little reward but we are certainly much more entertaining going forward.

I'm really looking forward to the new manager/ coach so we can settle on a plan for the remainder of the season and get even more out of the players.

Private Message
Reply: 23 - 42
Bogtrotter
November 15, 2023, 9:12am
Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.04
Rep Score: +3 / 0
Approval: +199
Gold Stars: 8
Great game. Scoreline flattered us.

1. Our first touch is often poor. It's no surprise that when Slough tierd and gave us more time in the ball things started to happen.

2. Defence was woeful. Seemed to stem from a lack of leadership, with nobody commanding the area, nine men in a big running around like headless chickens.

3. I don't want to pick on individual players, but will just say their number 23 was given free reign throughout the first half.

4. Ref was below average, missed an obvious handball but fell for lots of theatrics.

5. I know sod all about football, so take all that with a pinch of salt.

Fair play to their fans. Long journey home.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 42
chaos33
November 15, 2023, 9:45am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,937
Gold Stars: 360
Can’t seem to find any highlights anywhere. Anyone seen any?

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 42
diehardmariner
November 15, 2023, 9:56am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,628
Gold Stars: 539
Having only seen the goals, my insight is incredibly limited so grateful for the feedback from those who went - thank you.

Good to see Hunt getting praise when playing further forward, with contributions also for Ainley who I'm hoping can add another dynamic to that link between midfield and attack.  Also Gnahoua who has fallen out of favour when he's probably looked our most consistent attacker.

Pains me to say it, but (and again based on goals only) Waterfall looks to be done.  He's never had much pace but he's getting exploited for his lack of it now.  Can't remember if it's the first or second goal but their guy just glides past him without even going to another gear, that said it doesn't excuse the absolute intercourse up in the middle that followed.

The defensive flaws is a genuine puzzle.  I'm not sure if it's confidence or something else but a previously solid (we're talking years, not just a few games) has gone to pot.  First month of the season I thought it looked the best unit we've had for a while.  I was hoping that we would stick with the same back four as the weekend to try and re-establish some sort of familiarity and confidence but I get the reasons why they've rested people, especially the likes of Glennon who hasn't played much of late.
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 42
rancido
November 15, 2023, 10:03am

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,572
Gold Stars: 96
I'm not getting too carried away after last night but IMO it highlights several points.
1 - PH assembled a squad of good players but didn't know how to get the best out of them or play a system that suited their abilities.
2 - Ben and Shawn appear to have a better understanding of the players and how to use them. Hopefully their input will prove invaluable to a new manager, especially one who is prepared to listen and not be dogmatic about his approach.
3 - We need a settled  back four to allow a better understanding between them. The silly defensive lapses that lead to goals have to be eradicated and than can only be achieved by forming a settled defense.
4 - Some posters have highlighted that last nights result was against a team 2 levels below us , which I think is very churlish. These posters must have very short memories!  Last season, in this same competition, we made the record books by beating teams all from levels higher than us and away from home.

We fans have seen an immediate change in playing style since Shawn and Ben took over which has resulted in better performances and a more enjoyable spectacle to watch. All the components were there in the squad but not being used properly and it would appear that Ben and Shawn recognised this. With the right new manager and his assistant coupled with an existing  excellent coaching team , I can see good times ahead.

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 42
GrimPol
November 15, 2023, 10:39am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.60
Rep Score: +3 / -7
Approval: -672
Gold Stars: 69
Quoted from The Yard Dog

Just no pleasing some is they, if Hurst was in charge and we won 2-0 you still be moaning, should have had a go.
Last night was a free hit, yes our defence is all over the place at present, most have be moaning that the football has been dull under Hurst which is true.
The last two games have produced 14 goals and we have won both one against one of the form teams in league two, did we struggled last night not in my opinion Slough had a go in the first fifteen of the second half, but I never had a feeling we was going to lose.
It does not matter how many places we are above Slough, its the FA cup and you have to give credit to Slough for having a go and making it entertaining game.
Make you mind up, do you want dull boring ball hoping to win by the odd goal or playing entertaining football with goals but we might the result we wanted, I know which I prefer.
If FGR do watch the video of last night game, they will be be plenty for them to consider especially our composure in front of goal which has be missing recently and our set pieces scoring from corners. The difference now is Rose has support up front and is not isolated trying to hold up play, we are more on the front foot.  
The defence is an issue, we have recently changed our goalkeeper and the defence has not been settled, the more they play together the better understanding and trust between them, which hopefullly will lead to less mistakes.

However comes in, Shaun & Ben will have shown there is a good squad of players, capable of playing good football.

UTM

"Just no pleasing some is they, if Hurst was in charge and we won 2-0 you still be moaning, should have had a go."  How you interpret my piece as "have a go at Hurst", I can't imagine.
FA Cup effect is all well and good and the difference between professionals is one thing. The difference between Slough and Grimsby is that they are part-timers, some of those Slough guys were working in the morning to pay off mortgages, before setting off Up North to play "mollycoddled professionals" whose only job is to kick a ball in the right direction, and then these part-timers have to get up in the morning and put shifts in. Ours will saunter in for a massage. Beats me why I have to tell you this, but it seems I have to.
We were 2 nil up and nearly collapsed, to be honest. Rose scored  and  settled us down. But he also cleared off the line, which is fantastic against FGR or Oxford, as we get points or move on to the next round. Bit desperate against a Carpet Fitter.

( PS I made Carpet Fitter up, like you made up my anti Hurst dig)

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 42
BobbyCummingsTackle
November 15, 2023, 10:47am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.54
Rep Score: +8 / -4
Location: Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right, stuck in the middle...
Approval: +7,277
Gold Stars: 306
Do other clubs win by a five goal margin and have supporters bitching at each other like teenage girls the next morning?

Miss Scunthorpe. Not a beauty pageant, just sound advice.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 42
5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Just Back

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.